Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trigger the 940lpt

Views : 17297

Replies : 299

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2018, 01:33   #21
TheLeeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
......... rear brakes are very sticky. I'm hoping once they get them apart they should free up. Will possibly need new rear pads and handbrake shoes........
They get stuck on the pins when the corrosion builds up where they go through the holes in the pads. Also, the pads rust into their housings. Last MOT my 2.3 lpt failed for an imbalance on the rear brakes. One pad was seized solid, so it's hardly surprising the side of the disk it was meant to touch was completely rusty. A set of rear disks and pads was £75 from the local motor factors. Handbrake shoes were fine and when adjusted, hold the car on 3 clicks, in drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
....... oil it was emulsified. The car hasn't really moved much in the last 6 years so it could just be from standing.......on the other hand it could be the dreaded HG..........
It's probably okay if there are no other symptoms. Emulsified oil can be a false positive, and in a worst case scenarrio, a head gasket isn't difficult on those engines anyway. The only tricky bit I found when I did my Wentworth was the bracket that holds the exhaust downpipe to the block. It's only 1 bolt, but it's hard to see.
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 10:13   #22
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeeds View Post
They get stuck on the pins when the corrosion builds up where they go through the holes in the pads. Also, the pads rust into their housings. Last MOT my 2.3 lpt failed for an imbalance on the rear brakes. One pad was seized solid, so it's hardly surprising the side of the disk it was meant to touch was completely rusty. A set of rear disks and pads was £75 from the local motor factors. Handbrake shoes were fine and when adjusted, hold the car on 3 clicks, in drive.

It's probably okay if there are no other symptoms. Emulsified oil can be a false positive, and in a worst case scenarrio, a head gasket isn't difficult on those engines anyway. The only tricky bit I found when I did my Wentworth was the bracket that holds the exhaust downpipe to the block. It's only 1 bolt, but it's hard to see.

Fingers crossed all ok. If not I'll book you in for a weeks holiday to Scotland and you can pop in a new head gasket then
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 20:03   #23
griston64
Premier Member

Default Update

I'm still waiting on Trigger getting her MOT ! Good news is she is now running perfectly after the oil and filter change. It would appear a lot of condensation had built which had emulsified the oil. The garage have had her out for another couple of test drives and all seems perfect

The slight downside is after changing discs and pads they were still binding and it was getting worse the more the brakes were used. The upshot of that is they fitted new front calipers. Bit of a pain cost wise but at least front brakes are now 100%. The last job is the handbrake cable as the ECP one didn't fit so they have had to order one from the dealer

I'm hoping I will have her out on the road by the end of the week
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 13:34   #24
griston64
Premier Member

Default She's made it !!

Trigger now has her MOT !! MOT !.jpg

Going to collect tonight or tomorrow. Will update with pics as soon as possible
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 22:04   #25
griston64
Premier Member

Default First drive

Eventually got the car tonight Trigger.JPG

Drove her on an extended run home for 25 miles and she seemed fine. Bit different to my V70 and wife's new Skoda obviously. But she does have a charm all of her own

Once I got into the swing of it ( and eventually worked out how to open the petrol cap ! Doh ) it was a really relaxing drive. Few odd kind of ringing slight chirping noises which I think could be the belts ? She isn't as slow as i expected either. For now I'm going to put on the egg crate and clear indicators,give the body and wheels a really good clean and polish and just drive her around and enjoy her for a while.

Thanks to Stuart for passing her on and also Tony for looking after her prior to that. Loads of paperwork from original owner along with book fully stamped with service history from dealer ! Happy Days
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 21:53   #26
griston64
Premier Member

Default Egg Crate refurb

Doing an egg crate refurb for Trigger. I'm putting the black egg crate insert into a chrome surround. I'm going to have to paint the egg crate bit as its been painted with matt black and is also quite grubby.

I've attached a few pics as I'm trying to find out if anyone knows if you can get the plastic clips/rivets that hold the inner part to surround and also the little kind of whole circlips that hold the rod emblem on /

Cheers

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]clips 2.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egg crate 2.jpg (146.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg egg crate 3.jpg (113.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Egg crate.jpg (105.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg clip.jpg (122.5 KB, 13 views)
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 13:22   #27
baggy798
🤍💙💗

Don't think the plastic rivets are available from Volvo, but on ebay there are small plastic rivets.

The whole circlips are called starlock washers. Still available I think, part number 968039, probably about £1.50 each. You can get them on ebay much cheaper...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Starlock-...r/253723925397
Old Nov 26th, 2018, 13:43   #28
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggy798 View Post
Don't think the plastic rivets are available from Volvo, but on ebay there are small plastic rivets.

The whole circlips are called starlock washers. Still available I think, part number 968039, probably about £1.50 each. You can get them on ebay much cheaper...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Starlock-...r/253723925397
They look perfect

Thank-you
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 18:05   #29
griston64
Premier Member

Default Little jobs

Little update on Trigger

Had her out for a nice long run this morning and she is doing great ! She gets down the road really well and cruises along the motorway very well. I'm trying to use her as much as possible as she's been sitting around for a good few years.

I'm still a little wary of going full beans but I did get her up to 80 mph ( sorry 70 ! ) today and she seemed fine. I'm surprised at how well she pulls tbh

Few little jobs today. Put the new heater blower motor ( kindly supplied by Beast 360 )in, so now no more ringing all the time when the fan is running . Also put a new rubber seal in oil filler cap as the hold one had hardened up and was leaking slightly. Fixed the light bulb behind the temperature gauge so I can now see that at night !

Tomorrow I'm going to get the egg crate and clear indicators sorted to freshen her face up

Trigger face !.JPG

Last edited by griston64; Dec 1st, 2018 at 18:06. Reason: added pic
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 18:23   #30
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Great thread, lovely old beast. Do keep us up to date
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post: