Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 original radio does nothing - replace or fix?

Views : 2555

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 8th, 2020, 22:52   #1
marm

Default 940 original radio does nothing - replace or fix?

Well actually it sort of glows dimly when turned on. No sound, nothing on the display.

Was hoping it might just need a code. On the other hand I do have a couple of spare aftermarket units doing nothing...

I ordered one of these thinking I might fit something else.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Radio-Ada...0/173867838516

Been googling though and it looks like the original radio uses an external factory fitted amplifier etc. So maybe swapping is not straight forward? What about physically? Will a standard stereo fit in to the slot ok?

Welcome thoughts on what way to go. Not bothered about format as I still quite like cassettes and radio 4 but I am into music and hifi etc so would like decent ish sound.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4493.thumb.JPG.7c085de8f18e4f2d9f495b93ec763612.JPG (69.3 KB, 31 views)

Last edited by marm; May 8th, 2020 at 23:50.
marm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marm For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2020, 01:23   #2
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Bit of a vauge desription of the fault on yours, if you're looking to replace one of these comes with a facia plate, adaptor leads to bypass the amp etc :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...r/162552452884

Same seller has other options for the 940 so check "Sellers other items" too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2020, 10:54   #3
marm

OK.

Just checked it again and in bright light it is just possible to read the LCD display. It's showing "CODE".

Am I right in thinking I need to contact a Volvo dealer with my VIN number to get the code?

Any way to do it online?
Old May 9th, 2020, 11:06   #4
marm

Found a post from Rufe offering to provide codes via email

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...o+code&page=18

Fingers crossed...
Old May 9th, 2020, 11:44   #5
MiniNinjaRob
Master Member

Have a look in the owners manual, the original owner may have written it in there.

Or replace it with a modern one as the originals are rubbish. They really are. I replaced mine (which was the top of the range one with CD changer etc) with a cheap modern one and the new one is miles better.

In car audio has come a long long way in 25 years. I have kept the original in case the next owner wants to put it back in, it’s a 5 minute job.
MiniNinjaRob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MiniNinjaRob For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2020, 12:45   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

What Rob said and why i made the suggestions i did further up! ^^^^^^^

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old May 9th, 2020, 15:26   #7
marm

OK guys, thanks. Limited paperwork with the car - nothing has any mention of the radio code.

As mentioned previously I have a couple of spare modernish head units here already so no need to buy something new - I actually have a DAB unit which might be a worthwhile upgrade although I do quite like the idea of playing a few cassettes in the car.

As stated in the OP I've also already ordered an ISO adapter lead - hopefully using this will be straight forward but if the original head unit doesn't have a built in amplifier (line rather than speaker outputs) then I was wondering how you gain access to the speaker wiring...

And reading between the lines it seems I might need an adapter/bezel for the fascia as well...

For the time being I will see if I can get the original up and running first, it may well be good enough for my purposes. Interesting to hear though that they are not considered to be very good - my experience of manufacturer's stereos from this period is that they vary considerably - I'd hoped that being an expensive car, and with an separate amplifier etc., it might be half decent.

I'm aware from reading around that later 940s had changes made to the audio system - bigger speakers in door cards etc., so maybe there was an attempt to make some improvements to later cars? Also indicates that standard "upgrade" components are not always the drop-in upgrade they promise to be...

Re things moving on - good quality car audio was certainly available 25 years ago but it was often expensive - as a young driver I was quite into car audio and I heard and helped install some impressive systems back in the late 90s... but I agree that cheap units nowadays are often impressive. The downside is often ergonomics - I don't like flashing lights, menus etc on my car radio. The Volvo radio certainly doesn't suffer from any of that!

Will report back on my findings. Thanks again.
Old May 9th, 2020, 16:06   #8
mister grimsdale

Quite by chance, I've been chasing a radio code recently too. There are various (mostly very old) posts about contacting the dealer or downloading software. Most of the links to software are now dead, but I found a couple which still worked. They set the anti-virus off; and when I ran them in a virtual machine they gave wrong answers anyway.

So having plenty of time on my hands just at the moment, I dug into the coding a bit. If you can be bothered to do a bit of light dismantling, you should be able to reconstruct the code from the block of diodes on the main circuit board (see pics)

To get to them you need to take the top cover off and remove the cassette deck -- disconnect the two electrical connectors and undo four screws at the corners and it can be eased out.

Read off the diodes, putting a 1 if there's a diode present and a 0 if there's no diode, in the order d10,d11,d12 d6,d7,d8 d2,d3,d4 d9,d5,d1. That gives you four groups of three. In the picture, for example, that's 011 110 011 101.

Convert each of the groups of three from binary to decimal; 4 x (first position) + 2 * (second) + (third). If a group comes out as 0, read it as 6; if a group comes out as 7, read it as 1. That gives you your 4-digit code. More difficult to describe than to do.

Caveat: this was for a CR-905. Yours is a CR-906 but I bet it's the same. The above worked for a CR-706 that I was able to use for an additional check.

Incidentally, If any one has the CD-changer that went with the CR-905 going spare, I'd be interested.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Diodes.jpg (380.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Diodes2.jpg (230.4 KB, 16 views)
mister grimsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mister grimsdale For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2020, 17:40   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marm View Post
As stated in the OP I've also already ordered an ISO adapter lead - hopefully using this will be straight forward but if the original head unit doesn't have a built in amplifier (line rather than speaker outputs) then I was wondering how you gain access to the speaker wiring...
First, find the amplifier. Usually under the dash above the accelerator somewhere, black box with black fins on it usually.

There's an interconnecting lead to the head unit and then the speakers plug into it. Again the kit i mentioned comes with the patch leads but you can buy them separately from the same seller - have a look at his other items as i suggested!

Old May 10th, 2020, 11:05   #10
lnparry

Hi,

The original Volvo radio is quite easy to get out. I think somebody set out how to do it in a reply to one of my old posts - I'll look if you can't find. Anyway, mine had a sticker with the code written on the top of the radio chassis - worth a look.

I have always thought the sound quality of Volvo radios to be pretty good but my music tastes are pretty average!

Good luck,
LeeP
lnparry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lnparry For This Useful Post: