Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New to Volvo and abouot to buy a V90 CC - some questions!!!

Views : 4479

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 23rd, 2020, 00:50   #1
Bogus

Default New to Volvo and abouot to buy a V90 CC - some questions!!!

Hi All,
I am new to the forum and about to purchase a V90 CC with B&W, BLIS, Winter and 21" wheels.

Great forum and have been trying to read up as much as I can about the car and the brand.

Tried to see what options i had when it comes to replace them (usually buy Michelin) and was surprised at the low number of options for the tyre size (245/40/R21).

Anyone on here with a V90 CC or V90 with 21" wheels and can provide some advice?

Also, is the wireless charging a new feature (MY2020/21) or was an option in MY2019 cars as well ? and was it always a factory fitted option only or retrofittable?

Also I have a GSD and would like to hear what kind of options people are using for keepinmg thier dog in the rear ? Use the Volvo dog gate or a after market option ?
Bogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2020, 01:40   #2
Davebbass

I can't help with everything, but I know that the wireless charging is a new feature and wasn't an option on earlier models. Bit gutting as my 2016 Superb I had prior to the V90 had it! I'm not sure if it can be retrofitted, but a quick look on eBay will bring up numerous wireless charge pads which plug into the cig lighter and are moulded to the cubby hole, and the cover will close as well. I've not got Apple CarPlay on mine, and use a wireless charger vent dock, but it wobbles like hell and for the miles I'm doing (I prefer Google maps), I'm going to have CarPlay installed on it, get a charge pad and a wireless CarPlay adaptor.

As for the dog, the Volvo one is great! Pricey, but it's brilliant. Feels very solid, dead easy to use and when folded down, it's blocked by the seat back, so it isn't going anywhere. I don't have a dog (yet), but if I've got a boot full of equipment but have to carry passengers, I can stack high and not worry about having anything going over anyone's head in any cases of heavy braking.

Get a bumper protector too, I think it's around £120 from Volvo for a stainless one, but they look great and protect the bumper well.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 07:56   #3
gaby
Premier Member

The steel barriers are a great feature, Volvo specifically advices ir for
keeping pets safe in the boot. As mentioned, contrary (and sadly) to
the one for the XC90, the barrier for the V90 can be folded up.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 10:01   #4
crashbarrier

Hi Bogus,

Last year we got a MY19 V90CC Pro with amongst other things 21" wheels. The car does look really good on them and they really fill the wheel arches but they must be the reason for the shocking turning circle. You do get used to it but any tight turns or manoeuvring requires a little more attention. The tyres are fairly rare but as more and more cars and SUVs are getting 21s the choice should improve. Our car has got air suspension (rear only I believe) and the ride is good even with the 21s. No crashing and banging at the front which I did expect.

We have a smaller dog than your GSD and didn't really want the metal drop-down guard. Luckily, the car came with the Family(?) pack which includes a pull up net that secures in the roof. Perfectly good enough for our dog even though it leaves gaps at the sides and I'm sure would be strong enough for yours even allowing for it's weight and the physics of a collision.

Surprisingly, given the comprehensive but slightly bewildering Volvo UK spec, it only has the standard audio which is OK but I'm envious of your B&W. No wireless charging available for our MY and I don't know if it's available as a retrofit but it does have the Apple/Android Carplay.

We are really pleased with it and glad we cancelled our factory order for an E Class MB. It's a rare car on the roads and really stands out from the crowd. Anything else I can help with please just ask.
As I washed it yesterday:-

Last edited by crashbarrier; May 23rd, 2020 at 12:12.
crashbarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crashbarrier For This Useful Post:
Old May 23rd, 2020, 12:18   #5
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbarrier View Post
Luckily, the car came with the Family(?) pack which includes a pull up net that secures in the roof. Perfectly good enough for our dog even though it leaves gaps at the sides and I'm sure would be strong enough for yours even allowing for it's weight and the physics of a collision.
Do you have an idea how much the dog will "weigh" when it is launched forward in a head-on collision?
Old May 23rd, 2020, 13:47   #6
Bogus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbass View Post
I can't help with everything, but I know that the wireless charging is a new feature and wasn't an option on earlier models. Bit gutting as my 2016 Superb I had prior to the V90 had it! I'm not sure if it can be retrofitted, but a quick look on eBay will bring up numerous wireless charge pads which plug into the cig lighter and are moulded to the cubby hole, and the cover will close as well. I've not got Apple CarPlay on mine, and use a wireless charger vent dock, but it wobbles like hell and for the miles I'm doing (I prefer Google maps), I'm going to have CarPlay installed on it, get a charge pad and a wireless CarPlay adaptor.

As for the dog, the Volvo one is great! Pricey, but it's brilliant. Feels very solid, dead easy to use and when folded down, it's blocked by the seat back, so it isn't going anywhere. I don't have a dog (yet), but if I've got a boot full of equipment but have to carry passengers, I can stack high and not worry about having anything going over anyone's head in any cases of heavy braking.

Get a bumper protector too, I think it's around £120 from Volvo for a stainless one, but they look great and protect the bumper well.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Just to be sure I have understood this, the dog gate from Volvo comes as 3 parts. the rear seat grille, the luggage compartment divider and the dog gate.
which is the one that youa re referring to when you say it can be folded downa dn it is against the seat back ?
Thanks for the bit around aftermarket wirelss charging pads from the cig lighter. did not think about it at all. will check it out.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 13:50   #7
Bogus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashbarrier View Post
Hi Bogus,

Last year we got a MY19 V90CC Pro with amongst other things 21" wheels. The car does look really good on them and they really fill the wheel arches but they must be the reason for the shocking turning circle. You do get used to it but any tight turns or manoeuvring requires a little more attention. The tyres are fairly rare but as more and more cars and SUVs are getting 21s the choice should improve. Our car has got air suspension (rear only I believe) and the ride is good even with the 21s. No crashing and banging at the front which I did expect.

We have a smaller dog than your GSD and didn't really want the metal drop-down guard. Luckily, the car came with the Family(?) pack which includes a pull up net that secures in the roof. Perfectly good enough for our dog even though it leaves gaps at the sides and I'm sure would be strong enough for yours even allowing for it's weight and the physics of a collision.

Surprisingly, given the comprehensive but slightly bewildering Volvo UK spec, it only has the standard audio which is OK but I'm envious of your B&W. No wireless charging available for our MY and I don't know if it's available as a retrofit but it does have the Apple/Android Carplay.

We are really pleased with it and glad we cancelled our factory order for an E Class MB. It's a rare car on the roads and really stands out from the crowd. Anything else I can help with please just ask.
As I washed it yesterday:-
Same here w.r.t my search started with a E class Estate (just sold my S class) but it was more taxi like and really liked the look of the Volvo.
W.r.t to the D4 engine, how is the cabin noise quality when travelling at motorway speeds(engine and tyre noise). i exect the B&W to drown a bit or most of it but just wnated to understand the general cabin noise inusaltion quality.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 13:52   #8
Bogus

Also, I am getting the same colour and hopefully the finance deal will be approved.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 15:45   #9
crashbarrier

Gaby, as an Advanced Accident Investigator I have a reasonably good idea which is why I referred to the 'physics of a collision'. I'm fairly confident that the Volvo supplied net is capable of retaining something that was thrown against it be it a dog or inanimate boot loaded item.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 16:08   #10
crashbarrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogus View Post
W.r.t to the D4 engine, how is the cabin noise quality when travelling at motorway speeds(engine and tyre noise). i exect the B&W to drown a bit or most of it but just wnated to understand the general cabin noise inusaltion quality.
Bogus,

Initially, I was very dismissive of the D4 as nearly all reviews described it as noisy but actually it's not. Yes, you can hear it as you pull away or floor the accelerator but from then on it's quiet. There can be some tyre noise on certain surfaces but that applies to all cars. It's been a while since I've been on a motorway in it but I'd say that it was quiet at speed (the tyre noise on my BMW is louder). I would recommend getting Polestar added as it definitely adds something when you go for the overtake.
I would take Davebass' advice and get the bumper protector. Get them to throw it in for free or at least pay for it and let them fit it for nothing prior to collection. For any other Volvo bits that you might be after I would strongly recommend VolvoPartShop https://www.volvopartshop.com/ who I used for sourcing the genuine Volvo folding boot liner/mat and would have got genuine Volvo front/rear mudflaps except I got conned by Volvo UK into ordering them from the dealer.
I shouldn't say it but Electric Silver is one of the nicest colours but I see that it's not offered anymore.
Interior-wise my car has the metal mesh inserts which look great but I would have preferred the dark grey wood to match it's rugged Swedish image. I'd probably be saying the opposite if it had the wood instead.