Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

07 D5 Limp Mode Help

Views : 2112

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 23:13   #1
Cliddoris

Default 07 D5 Limp Mode Help

Hey,

Yesterday I finally got Vida set up as I wanted to start getting to the bottom of the strange behaviour with my car.

Basically car is Euro 4 2.4D V70, 127k miles on the clock.

I've owned the car just a little over a year and this issue cropped up around 6-7month ago, but it has only got the the stage where I can pretty much get the car to go into limp mode on demand.

Sometimes when limp mode is triggered I lose all boost entirely for the rest of my journey until i restart the car, others i have zero boost but if i let up and ease back into the trottle it returns.

I'll hopefully attach a few pictures of pulls I done earlier in the hopes of getting to the bottom of it.

I've uploaded the codes present, ignore the SAS and air quality sensor, they shouldn't be much of an issue. SAS comes and goes and the car behaves exactly the same regardless of it's presence.

The first pull felt smooth but it's obvious that the actual MAF reading is lagging behind the desired reading, eventually catching up (Probabl why no limp mode was triggered.

2nd pull, i read the desired boost, actual boost and boost actuator, similar story. Lags behind what is expected but eventually catches up (No Limp mode)

The last pull, same boost/turbo readings but this time I started a bit lower in the rev range and the actual boost consistantly lags behind the desired boost, I had the windows down and I could audibly hear the turbo go from a quiet whistle to nothing (Thats the sharp drop is actuator value and boost.

I have recently had a cylinder 5 misfire recorded on the DTCs, i ran the injector test on vida and inspected the wiring and it allcame out fine, i would imagine that the misfire is likely caused by whatever is causing the boost issue.

So that brings me to, would a small boost leak likely cause this? I can't hear any blowing and the car is capable of achieving full boost.
Any other likely culprits i should look at or tests to perform?

Doesn't seem to be a sticking actuator as it appears to be capable of going through the full range of motion.

Just for further info the car is due another service but last service was about 4k miles ago and fuel filter was changed at that time as these issue were starting to come about but wasn't repeatable.
Fuel Filter wasn't genuine Volvo, it was a Mann as I was told they are the OEM replacement?

Cheers,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Codes.jpg (61.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg MAF.jpg (66.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Turbo.jpg (71.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Turbo limp.jpg (74.0 KB, 15 views)
Cliddoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2023, 23:58   #2
5cilinder
Premier Member

If you get a boostleak you get an airmass performance code
But if your airmass sensor is broken you also get limpmode due to a mismatch by other sensors who expect certain values by that airmass (boost,oxygen in exhaust).

Check the wiring and connector of the airmass sensor....and calibrate the sensor in vida under the ecm menu.... callibrate also the other sensors there present.
And check the swirlflap arm if its connected (affects airmass in part load)
If that not helps try a new airmass sensor.

What is a cliddoris btw?

Last edited by 5cilinder; Jan 4th, 2023 at 00:03.
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 00:28   #3
Cliddoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
If you get a boostleak you get an airmass performance code
But if your airmass sensor is broken you also get limpmode due to a mismatch by other sensors who expect certain values by that airmass (boost,oxygen in exhaust).

Check the wiring and connector of the airmass sensor....and calibrate the sensor in vida under the ecm menu.... callibrate also the other sensors there present.
And check the swirlflap arm if its connected (affects airmass in part load)
If that not helps try a new airmass sensor.

What is a cliddoris btw?
So if it was a boost leak it would trigger a different code and not the one I'm seeing?

Swirl arm previously had fallen off, in a pinch I grabbed one from an XC90 from a breakers yard I passed the same day, my arm was completely worn and loose, where as the xc90 seemed a fair bit fresher and clipped in much stronger at both ends.

Possible the xc90's use a different length arm? I would expect a swirl flap related code of it was out of whack?

I'll disconnect the MAF tomorrow, give it a clean and check the wiring for breaks or rubs.

We don't talk about cliddorises.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliddoris For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 11:50   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

have you looked at the vac engine mounts for leaks?
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 12:05   #5
Lancee
Premier Member

If there is a difference between the air mass desired and the actual air mass, could it be the EGR restricted ? Air needs to be able to get into the engine.

Perhaps a cleaning of same would be at worst a positive step and one in a process of elimination ?

Did you say the problem has become increasingly worse over a period of time ?

Perhaps look at an internet search for something like clogged EGR symptoms ?

Last edited by Lancee; Jan 4th, 2023 at 12:19.
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 15:12   #6
5cilinder
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliddoris View Post
So if it was a boost leak it would trigger a different code and not the one I'm seeing?
i got a different one with a boostleak It could detect it because of the lamda sonde
Yours hint at a hardware fault (try resistance measure it , value is also listed in vida)

Quote:
Swirl arm previously had fallen off, in a pinch I grabbed one from an XC90 from a breakers yard I passed the same day, my arm was completely worn and loose, where as the xc90 seemed a fair bit fresher and clipped in much stronger at both ends.

Possible the xc90's use a different length arm? I would expect a swirl flap related code of it was out of whack?
Its all the same length with euro 4
And it callibrates itself after every fifth engine shutoff

Quote:
I'll disconnect the MAF tomorrow, give it a clean and check the wiring for breaks or rubs.
And try callibrate it in vida under ecm tab (i suspect maf is broken)

Quote:
We don't talk about cliddorises.
You started
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 16:17   #7
Cliddoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
have you looked at the vac engine mounts for leaks?
Being a Euro 4, would a vac leak affect boost?
VNT is electronically actuated, but I know there is something EGR related which is operated via vacuum but I assumed it was only when cold.

Worth checking out though

Last edited by Cliddoris; Jan 4th, 2023 at 16:23.
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 16:21   #8
Cliddoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
If there is a difference between the air mass desired and the actual air mass, could it be the EGR restricted ? Air needs to be able to get into the engine.

Perhaps a cleaning of same would be at worst a positive step and one in a process of elimination ?

Did you say the problem has become increasingly worse over a period of time ?

Perhaps look at an internet search for something like clogged EGR symptoms ?
I cleaned the EGR about 2 months ago, was very choked up.

Had little affect on the running of the car though.

Yeah the problem first popped it's head when I was towing a heavy load (1600kg) and lost all boost.

Was very sporadic since then, but it is now predictable and consistent.
If I'm doing short journeys it's not much of an issue, but on a long journey I tend to lose boost entirely.

I have noticed the EGR is sometimes static at 80.3% value and 17.5% position, but that's probably during a DPF regen?
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 16:23   #9
Cliddoris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cilinder View Post
i got a different one with a boostleak It could detect it because of the lamda sonde
Yours hint at a hardware fault (try resistance measure it , value is also listed in vida)

Its all the same length with euro 4
And it callibrates itself after every fifth engine shutoff

And try callibrate it in vida under ecm tab (i suspect maf is broken)

You started
Hopefully the MAF isn't broke, they don't exactly seem to be cheap.

I'll give the connector a clean, sensor itself a clean and try to re-adapt it in Vida.
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 18:56   #10
Lancee
Premier Member

I guess you could be grasping at straws somewhat. In this regard the following may not help.

However is it worth looking at the rubber air inlet charge pipe ?

I know it's relating to an earlier car (V70 D5 euro3) and your car may differ greatly, but the following happened to me.

The pipe collapsed (the rubber softens with age) when the suction/vacuum increased with load causing a restriction. When inspected the pipe had of course re-formed itself so visibly looked fine. In my case there was however a fluttering noise when the pipe collapsed and boost was lost.

It's the section on the right of the image.

As previously suggested also check the integrity of the vacuum circuit, although I suspect the turbo actuator on your later car may be electrically and not vacuum operated ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg index.jpg (10.8 KB, 9 views)
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote