Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 d2

Views : 836

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2018, 22:19   #1
sye73

Default V70 d2

Hi,
I was wondering if any could give me some advice regarding appropriate maintenance on a 2013 V70 D2? The cambelt has been changed recently ..
The car has done a lot of mileage (170k), but seems to run well. I would like to service the car soon and wondered if there was any 'real world' advice from owners of the same engine-type. I would particularly like to know:
1. Recommended engine oil for this engine and mileage
2. Is fuel filter replacement a good idea at the same time as an oil/filter change, or are the intervals far wider?
3. Is changing the auto gearbox fluid easy enough for a (non-Volvo main dealer) garage? Is it one of these 'sealed units' that's not designed for oil changes?

Thanks in advance
sye73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 20:03   #2
sye73

Any thoughts at all pls, if only on point 3?
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 20:59   #3
Peter86
Pete

170,000 it's only just run in :-). For self servicing try volvo for parts and ask for discount. I get my parts cheaper or about the same price from volvo as the local motor factors.
If you look at your handbook it will tell you what's due at what mileage, even the volvo parts people will tell you incase there's been any updates to the maintenance schedule, you could always phone up and ask if your dealers not local. Changing the fuel filter won't do any harm especially if you don't know when it was last done.

As for oil I bet volvo would sell you the same grade oil as what was put in the car when new. My D5 says 0w30 in the book and nothing else so that's all I will ever use no matter the mileage. Modern engines are are much more precise than older ones so the right grade oil is key!

I drive a manual but from what I know all the gearboxes are sealed for life for general driving but your handbook or dealer will say if used for a lot of towing or taxi use it should be changed, again volvo will happily tell you especially if you ask for a quote. I believe its just a long process of drain, refill but has to be measured accurately and can cost a bit, whether your gearbox versions different sorry I can't help.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter86 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 23:19   #4
sye73

Thank you for your reply, Peter.
Yes, the car feels fine and I'm not concerned about the mileage.. Just want to keep it in good order.
I'll take a look on-line for a 'service kit' to include air/oil/fuel/pollen filters & oil initially, Perhaps I can then assess what's needed for the gearbox service (and if it's needed).
Thanks again
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 14:12   #5
Timbotambo
Been around a while....

Mine has done 155k, I did a pre-empt on the 150k belt changed and got that done at 145k. Aside from that I always get it serviced at a main dealer as i believe that is the best way to keep it top. Plus they always give a really good discount from list price. The last service I had they did for only £40 more than Halfords, and that gives me the breakdown cover and software updates.
Timbotambo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Timbotambo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 22:44   #6
sye73

Thanks for your reply.
Fortunately my cambelt has been done and not due a while yet.
Interesting re. main dealer v Halfords. This was for exactly the same service? £40 must equate to 20mins labour @ a MD..
Was there anything you had do do to obtain the discount? I knew there were incentives for older cars, but nothing newish ??
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 11:42   #7
Model flyer
Master Member

The auto gearbox is quoted as being sealed for life .Why Volvo perpetuate this idea I dont know , its nonsense and the oil wears just like any other component. The gearbox manufacturers recommend oil changes and they should know . We changed the auto oil in my sons S60 D3 5 cyl earlier this summer . He bought a 20 ltr can on the net cost about £85 a saving over the Volvo price . A similar quantity of oil we used for his previous V70 cost well over £100 from a discounted volvo dealer on Ebay. Check spec thoroughly and make sure to use suitable fluid .
We dropped the oil from the box and it was very black and felt stickier than new oil. Spun motor briefly and allowed the oil to stop draining . Re-fit drain plug and fill to level , the level plug is up inside the drain plug. Run engine and move through the gears a few times . stop engine and drain again . This only drains part of the oil as the torque converter and valve block and oil cooler still hold oil . we repeated this three times and the oil was coming out looking virtually as new . Finally fill to level , run up to temp approx 60 C then remove the level plug and check and adjust level if needed . It seems like a waste of oil but its not possible to get all the oil out . You may have to have the software adjusted for the new oil as it will be a lot thinner than your 170k oil . It all doable on the Volvos . Great cars . I have moved on to Jaguar now after nearly twenty years with Volvo I fancied a change but still rate them.

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Model flyer For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 20:55   #8
sye73

Many thanks for your reply.
I agree that it makes sense to change oil in an auto gearbox, just as you would in an engine. The thing I don't understand is why Volvo consider it 'sealed', especially if the g'box manufacturers themselves recommend oil being changed. Surely Volvo are missing a trick?
I'll try and have a look to see how much the appropriate oil and filters are, and then see if I can find a garage that is happy to do it. Failing that, maybe I could rent a ramp..

Enjoy the Jag!
Old Nov 7th, 2018, 21:07   #9
Tatsfield
Premier Member

You will not find it possible to fully drain the gearbox if you are wanting to replace the oil. You will need to drain as much as you can, measure how much came out, top up the box with the same amount of new oil and then run the car to circulate the new oil through the box and mix it with the old oil. You then need to repeat this process at least three times to ensure that the percentage of old oil left in solution with the new is low enough not to have adverse effects on the continued running of the box. Past 3 dump/fills you begin to suffer the effects of diminishing returns and above 5 is of no real value apart for those suffering with OCD!
Old Nov 16th, 2018, 15:25   #10
Potski

Hi

There are videos online showing you how to change the oil of the D2/Ford Powershift gearbox. The only think that puts me off having a go myself is the fact that I would have to do it all by grovelling around on the floor - and I'm getting on a bit now and really can't be bothered to hit the dirt. It looks pretty straightforward from memory.

I get the fine chaps at Kings Motors in Westbury to change mine & it cost (I think) about £260/£270 last time which I was comfortable with- I tend to have it done every 40-50k miles.
Potski is offline   Reply With Quote