Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alloy wheels for 68 131 please

Views : 1567

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2014, 22:27   #1
Macman

Default Alloy wheels for 68 131 please

Hi all,
Complete newbie here but have been learning a lot from this brilliant forum. I have recently got my Amazon and drove 690 Km's in one go ( except for ferry) from London back to Northern Ireland, slow and steady but enjoyed it although she's an automatic so not very quick. Currently in body shop getting some repairs completed. My query is alloy wheels, will a set of 240 volvo Virgo rims fit on without any spacing issues please. Have read lots about rims on the forum but can't find a definitive answer. Thanks in advance.

David
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 22:40   #2
loon

NO they have a different size PCD.
your car has 114.3mm or 4 1/2" and the 240 is 108mm

Ford Mustang wheels fit as well as others with the 114.3 fitting but check the back spacing for clearance.
loon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loon For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 08:40   #3
Macman

Default Alloy wheels for 131 amazon

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply. Does that mean that if I used a 7/8 mm spacer that the wheels would clear ok?

David
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 10:34   #4
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Hi,

Thanks for quick reply. Does that mean that if I used a 7/8 mm spacer that the wheels would clear ok?

David

hi ya

you need to get alloy wheels from any volvo pre 1972 that will fit as any !!! volvos after that year changed the wheel stud pattern so they wont even slide on wheel studs hence the PCD PATTERN BEING COMPLETEY different

as loon has said the early fords ie mustang wheels fit fine no worries at all straight bolt on and away you go
all you have to watch is the space behind so it has right off set for example they call it backspacing so check they have an ok backspacing to be fair all mustang wheels fit6 unless there like fat ass track wheels ok so i hope thats helped
kind regards

robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !

Last edited by 123GT-AMAZON; Dec 9th, 2014 at 10:36.
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 10:41   #5
Faust
Master Member

Wheels from a 240 will NOT fit due to the bolt patterns being different. The PCD (Pitch Circle Diameter) is different on Amazons and P1800s - the P1800 ES and cars (mostly) made after this - say 1971 - used a PCD of 5x108 as do Volvos made up to the present day.

5 = the number of studs/bolts

114.3/4.5 inch = imagine a circle encompassing the wheel studs - the PCD is the diameter of this circle (you can measure it in other ways. i.e. distance between 2 studs but it's a bit more complicated).

The 240 wheels are 5x108 so as you can see there is no way they will fit unless you start messing around with hubs swaps or adaptors which is a lot of hassle around to get wheels to fit!

Spacers are used to correct for distances in offset of wheels. Offset refers to the measurement from the hub to the centre of the wheel. You also need to consider backspace - on an Amazon this is 3.76 inches as you need to make sure your wheels won't scrub (touch) the arches or steering arms on full lock. Wikipedia has more info if you want to read up.

If you want new wheels for your car you can buy wide steels from Brookhouse etc. Minilites are available in Amazon fitments but they divide opinion and there is always the Torn Thrust option. I personally think these are the best choice for an Amazon but you'll need to have deep pockets (set of 15 inch rims with tyres will cost aprox £1100).

As Robert said, Mustang wheels will fit as a lot of yank cars use the 5x4.5 inch PCD but don't go too wide... 7 inch width is about as wide as you want to go on an Amazon.

One of the most annoying things after being part of the UK Ford scene is the lack of viability of wheels in the correct sizes… that and the price of rear brake drums and front discs! You better sit down before you research these…
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2014, 11:20   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

Being even more specific, the bolt circle/PCD change came along when disc brakes were fitted to the rear axle. Not fitted to any Amazon but was fitted to the 140/164 and 1800E from 1969. So if the wheels come from a Volvo with a disk brake rear axle they won't fit the Amazon. Beware that for one year the 140 wheels looked very similar to the Amazon but the PCD is different.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: