Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS sensors

Views : 1041

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2018, 12:15   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Two years ago we bought a £30 jobber for the OSR wheel. This year, same one failed. The other three are still original. Go figure.

I'm expecting to replace it again, then, in another two years. Next time, dunno, we'll see how rich I'm feeling :-)
Which model have you got? A lot of the 7/9xx only have ABS sensors on the front wheels and the rear is detected from the speedo sensor in the diff.

I think they changed it for the later multi-link suspension but not sure.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 12:22   #12
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Which model have you got? A lot of the 7/9xx only have ABS sensors on the front wheels and the rear is detected from the speedo sensor in the diff.

I think they changed it for the later multi-link suspension but not sure.
No, no, our's is a V40. I only mentioned it because there does appear to be a difference in quality related to price. But I like the thing someone said earlier about the rust crushing the sensor - it's possible that's what happened to me.

So it's not conclusive, but lends weight to the idea of paying a little extra for these parts. Perhaps. Since our 'economy' fix failed so quickly.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 13:06   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
No, no, our's is a V40. I only mentioned it because there does appear to be a difference in quality related to price. But I like the thing someone said earlier about the rust crushing the sensor - it's possible that's what happened to me.

So it's not conclusive, but lends weight to the idea of paying a little extra for these parts. Perhaps. Since our 'economy' fix failed so quickly.
That was probably me that mentioned the rust crushing the ABS sensors. The Rover 800 is fairly well known for "cementing" the rear sensors into the knuckle/upright and those are drop-forged steel, same as the front knuckles on the 7/9xx which uses the same sensor, except the plug.

When the cars are new, these forgings are obviously also new and are better protected against corrosion.
Twenty years on most of that protection has worn off and corrosion has started, hence my suggestion about once the old sensor is out, enlarge it very slightly by grinding, sanding or similar then smear some grease on the body of the new sensor.
Similar goes for diecast aluminium alloy brackets that hold the sensors, enlarge and polish the sensor hole to a mirror finish (if possible) and again smear some grease on the body of the sensor.

Generally you get what you pay for, that said the Chinese do make some good stuff. However, the big problem is it has to come half way round the world through various violent postal systems including our own before it drops through our letterboxes.

That means it's been beaten to bu99ery and back before you even fit it!

Much safer, although a little dearer, is find a UK seller flogging the Chinese sensors - they're imported wholesale so are better protected for a start (it's hard to throw a 1 ton pallet full of well packed sensors across the floor) and the shipping tends to be more direct which means less chance of damage in transit.
It only has to survive the postal journey through our system that way so there's a higher chance it will survive longer once fitted.

I've found this out and confirmed the theory with LEDs - much cheaper to experiment with than ABS sensors!

Another thing - this "duff" sensor you've got, have you tried cleaning the end? They often attract a lot of dirt/debris which can make them appear U/S so might be worth a try before condemning/replacing it. Don't forget to reset the ABS ECU after, it could also be that one wheel locked up in the ice or you had one wheel spin which can sometimes bring the ABS light on.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 15:23   #14
canis
Non Fragile

All good advice, thankyou.

I have replaced that sensor now, and deleted the ECU code, and it hasn't reappeared, so it seems to have worked. It hasn't solved the other codes, however, which keep reappearing. I should probably start another thread, rather than hijack this one, but it mentioned something about "no live to ABS unit" or something like that. I've checked the live feed, it's a good voltage, and shows no resistance at all so the wire can be considered non-corroded. In some ways I had hoped it would be, I could fix a corroded wire. As it is, I'm still scratching my head.

If I had my way, I'd remove the entire ABS system and do without. It's a confounded bloody nuisance, and utterly useless anyway. I like my brake pedal, and I absolutely cannot stand the "machine" telling me I can't use it. But that's another story.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 15:53   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
All good advice, thankyou.

I have replaced that sensor now, and deleted the ECU code, and it hasn't reappeared, so it seems to have worked. It hasn't solved the other codes, however, which keep reappearing. I should probably start another thread, rather than hijack this one, but it mentioned something about "no live to ABS unit" or something like that. I've checked the live feed, it's a good voltage, and shows no resistance at all so the wire can be considered non-corroded. In some ways I had hoped it would be, I could fix a corroded wire. As it is, I'm still scratching my head.

If I had my way, I'd remove the entire ABS system and do without. It's a confounded bloody nuisance, and utterly useless anyway. I like my brake pedal, and I absolutely cannot stand the "machine" telling me I can't use it. But that's another story.
You're welcome - as for the lost live feed to your ABS, don't forget that for every good live feed there must be an equally good earth feed. I know on the older models with the Bosch ABS-2E system, the earth for the modulator/ECU was a weak point, both on Volvos and other cars it's been fitted to. Just saying!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 16:42   #16
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You're welcome - as for the lost live feed to your ABS, don't forget that for every good live feed there must be an equally good earth feed. I know on the older models with the Bosch ABS-2E system, the earth for the modulator/ECU was a weak point, both on Volvos and other cars it's been fitted to. Just saying!
Hmm. Yes, I hadn't thought to check the ground. That's a very good point, actually, I'll check that when the sky stops hailing. I'm much obliged.