Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reasons to buy new car

Views : 1335

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2018, 16:08   #21
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
The Reasons to buy a new car .. to keep the economy going for the Government. ... deliberate inbuilt obsolescence with their cheaply made parts made to wear quicker or to break.....they are all at it? ... deliberate breakdowns by the manufacturer keeps the economy going even more, just like potholes are NOT repaired so to keep the money spinning over for new suspension parts and workers paid to repair them.
It's a very cynical view. You might be right though.

Thing is, this (if true) will have a very long term knock-on effect. When that much money is being spent needlessly, the must innevitably show up in "the economy", with all manner of negative side-effects. It's no wonder the world is on it's knees economically.

I can't help thinking - there's gotta be a better way. Surely longevity of machinery is an investment for the future. Instead of re-manufacturing things over and over again to satisfy a perpetual consumer market, they could be manufacturing new and useful stuff leaving the old stuff still going. That would be progress, wouldn't it?

What I mean is: When my mother wasn't buying a new kettle every two years, and a new toaster and a new washing machine and ... you get the idea - she was still spending her money on other things. The economy did not collapse because there weren't enough toasters being sold.

By forcing people to keep buying the same old stuff time and again, as a society we are crippling ourselves, stagnating as a species and perpetuating a two-tier society of those lucky enough to have work (but working all the blasted time) and those who cannot work (but are economically crippled and can't utilise the free time they have in abundance).

It's all wrong! All of it! Why is this happening? Nobody is gaining out of it, because those who are making money by these strategies could simply manufacture other stuff. By forcing people to replace their toaster after two years, they are failing to sell a bread oven. Or whatever.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 20:17   #22
Dippydog
Premier Member

I've never owned a brand new car-or even close-and even if I were to win the lottery I still wouldn't buy one.There are not too many new cars I like enough to actually want and they're full of all this tech type stuff that I don't need,want or in all probability don't understand.For those who want to buy a new car[rather than PCP one]I'd suggest seeking out a pre-reg car.Yes technically you're the second owner[the dealer being the first]but all the dealer has done is P.D.I.them stick number plates on and put it on the forecourt at quite large savings over the price of a new one owner[you the purchaser]car.Please note a pre-reg is not the same as a dealership demo car.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 13:56   #23
Delta66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Must be some manky old S80 if it needs on average £200 month spent on it.
It was not a very reliable car. Worst one I have owned. My Jag S Type was like that as well, two cars on the trot that cost me a fortune.

Thankfully the 22 year old 940 has been more like an average of £20 a month.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 13:59   #24
Delta66

New car sales are falling as the cash injection into the economy, that was bank mis-selling compensation (PPI in particular) dries up.

Every car I have ever owned, new or second hand, has been a combination of savings, a trade in and a building society loan.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote