Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Where do you see Volvo against other marques?

Views : 24054

Replies : 234

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Where do you see Volvo as a brand compared to other marques?
Premium and firmly in Compact Executive sector (eg, BMW, Benz and Audi) 91 55.83%
Non Premium but still in Compact Executive sector 35 21.47%
Premium-esque, but not in Compact Executive sector (eg, Alfa Romeo) 36 22.09%
Non Premium and not in Compact Executive sector (eg, Ford Mondeo) 6 3.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 30th, 2012, 22:17   #21
yoda960
Volvo 960

I class Ford, VW, Vauxhall, Fiat etc as bogstandard cars, Volvo is a deffo step up so i'd class it a premium marque. It might not be in the same class as other marques because they have cars that cost far more than any Volvo but that isn't the point. Any car above your standard cheap Ford etc is a premium product IMO... i.e. its better than the average
yoda960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 22:20   #22
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda960 View Post
Any car above your standard cheap Ford etc is a premium product IMO... i.e. its better than the average
Not quite sure what you mean?

If I produced a real poor car and priced it more expensive than say a Ford,does that make my product 'premium' by default?

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 01:47   #23
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

[QUOTE=Daim;1197606]Not quite that with Audi.
The reason Audi all of a sudden "exploded" has nothing to do with "Vorsprung durch Technik". More so with a fantastic PR and ad campaign in the late 80ies and throughout the 90ies.
They then forced themselves into the premium branch by firstly making some "sporty" cars. The Audi "Ur-Quattro" was basically only built, to get the Rallye Quattro into homologation. The first proper "sports Audi" were the S1 and the S4 of the 90ies. Quality slowly improved, but the TV and media ads made you think it was all better before it was. The Hamburger agency did fantastic work - and that worldwide!
QUOTE]

It has everything to do with Vorsprung durch Technik as that was the embodiment of the marketing campaign here in the UK, with the UR Quattro being the"halo"car and the 100 being the big seller - promoted particularly on it's low drag co-efficient as part of the VdT USP.
I'd double check your facts regarding homologation...the Sport Quattro if I remember correctly was the homologation special - road cars built in very limited numbers.

Prufrock.

Last edited by Prufrock; Jul 1st, 2012 at 01:50.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 02:06   #24
Thom12
Master Member

It has everything to do with Vorsprung durch Technik as that was the embodiment of the marketing campaign here in the UK, with the UR Quattro being the"halo"car and the 100 being the big seller - promoted particularly on it's low drag co-efficient as part of the VdT USP.
I'd double check your facts regarding homologation...the Sport Quattro if I remember correctly was the homologation special - road cars built in very limited numbers.

Prufrock.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned this thread to my Grampa tonight and the first thing he said was Vorsprung durh Technik. It definitely has some influence.
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 02:13   #25
mixa

dont know why people think mercs are high class motors there just expensive rust buckets im my opinion from working in body repair they are like every thing else that comands a high price just a status cymble that gets one from a-b just as a lowly mini 850 or moggy 1000 would
mixa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mixa For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 09:24   #26
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixa View Post
dont know why people think mercs are high class motors there just expensive rust buckets im my opinion from working in body repair they are like every thing else that comands a high price just a status cymble that gets one from a-b just as a lowly mini 850 or moggy 1000 would
I have owned a Mercedes or two over the years and you are right, the quality of their build and indeed design is nothing to write home about
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 09:42   #27
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMad View Post
I have owned a Mercedes or two over the years and you are right, the quality of their build and indeed design is nothing to write home about
And American cars are well designed and built?

Prufrock.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 09:54   #28
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prufrock View Post
And American cars are well designed and built?

Prufrock.
Far from it, in fact the last time I was installing machinery in an American car plant (about 18 months ago), it was cast offs from one of their European factories!
I think they realise that their production methods and facilities are in some cases archaic and are trying to drag themselves into the 21st century?
Having owned an American muscle car as a second car for many years now, I believe that I am qualified to say that the build, material and design quality of said cars is pretty low.
But I just love the sound of a V8
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 13:50   #29
Rawas
Master Member

Wonder what would have happened if this was a Ford, Hyundai or even a Mercedes, person driving this car is still alive!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S60.jpg (215.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg S60 2.jpg (218.2 KB, 36 views)
Rawas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2012, 15:22   #30
Volvo2002
Young Volvo driver

Depends on the crash of course. Modern Mercs, Audis, and BMWs are very safe cars.

Rewind back in time and Volvo were miles ahead! The S40 "97" was a 4 star car where the 3-series was a 1.5/5 car. Today it's a lot closer though. Still I would prefer to be in a volvo than any of the German three.

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. – Bill Cosby"
Volvo2002 is offline   Reply With Quote