Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1068263

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2018, 09:59   #12421
MartinPorter

Smile Fixed My SRS

Mr sod it, I'll take it in to the garage.. pulled his finger out and sorted it by replacing the unit but my thanks must go to Gatos for all his help and showing me with his step-by-step Guide and has I said to Alex. I have ordered B&Q's biggest wheelbarrow they sell to carry me nuts around lol And the best bit of all I have saved around £550 in not taking the old girl to the volvo dealership. Now just the MOT to tick of the list. thanks again Alex for your help mate.
MartinPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinPorter For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 17:30   #12422
MartinPorter

Default MOT Day!

for the 10th year in a row the old girl has passed her MOT and without any Advisory's - A very happy lad here!
MartinPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinPorter For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2018, 22:52   #12423
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Today I noticed that the wheel nuts on the t4 are those tuner style splined torx type jobs, which the orange one also has, fine, the orange ones wheels have centre caps though and so the nuts are in pristine condition, not so on the t4, they look decidedly rusty, and were unbelievably hard to undo, far more pressure than I'd ever expect to need to apply to finally crack them, and crack they did, they let go with an almighty crack, and once they'd broken free from the wheel, instantly finger tight. I've done one wheel but by then it was dark and I was cold so all re applied with some swagelok blue goop, an excellent anti seize compound, I'll do the rest tomorrow.

The tickover is also still sh!te, although only sometimes, 9 times out of 10 it idles fine, the other odd time it's all over the place, chugging down to what looks like nearly zero on the rev counter and then back up to just over 500 again, it goes down then up again roughly every 2 seconds, will clear on its own eventually but it's a pain in traffic, but if you turn the engine off and then restart it it's fine again, I'll investigate the in tank filter on the bottom of the pump again tomorrow, as there may still be crap in there getting sucked up and blocking it.
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 10:46   #12424
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
The tickover is also still sh!te, although only sometimes, 9 times out of 10 it idles fine, the other odd time it's all over the place, chugging down to what looks like nearly zero on the rev counter and then back up to just over 500 again, it goes down then up again roughly every 2 seconds, will clear on its own eventually but it's a pain in traffic, but if you turn the engine off and then restart it it's fine again, I'll investigate the in tank filter on the bottom of the pump again tomorrow, as there may still be crap in there getting sucked up and blocking it.
Is it ever difficult to start, and does it exhibit this difficulty especially when cold?
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2018, 11:14   #12425
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Is it ever difficult to start, and does it exhibit this difficulty especially when cold?
It starts on the 2nd or 3rd spin of the starter each and every time, under a second of cranking always, and is always fine when the engine is cold, it's only after it's fully up to temperature that it does it, my journey to work is under 10 minutes and it never does it then as not a long enough journey to get fully up to temp I don't think. I'm no longer getting the hesitation and inability to rev under load like I did before, all vac hoses appear to be fine and I've cleaned the icv, I may well leave the battery disconnected overnight and see if the ECU relearning thing makes any difference, I planned to pull the pump and sender out of the tank again but it's absolutely freezing and has just started to rain so I think I'll leave that for today.

I spent 10 minutes swapping some indicator bulbs round from the orange car, these chrome bulbs that flash orange are such a cheap upgrade but they transform the look of the car so much, they look brilliant compared to standard in my opinion, I've got sick of orange, can't think why haha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20180120_104006-1024x768.jpg (165.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180120_105457-1024x768.jpg (190.1 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by clarkey1984; Jan 20th, 2018 at 11:21.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 11:44   #12426
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Changed the oil this morning, started her up for 10 minutes then dropped the old stuff out, didn't look particularly black so probably hadn't been in there long, and as I forgot to order one on Friday I didnt change the filter, plus I don't have the strap wrench at home to undo it anyway.

The local motor place sell comma oil now, and after some discussions with regard to the oil burning thing when warm I opted for x flow 15w40, suitable for petrol or diesel cars with or without a turbo, comes up to acea A3 / b3 specs and cost 15 quid Inc vat for 5l, which was just enough, I know it's mineral but I can't see it being too bad if I change it every 5 or 6k, the top end does seem to be slightly quieter too now, as it's always sounded a little tappety, the jury is still out on whether it helps with the oil burning or not.
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 19:06   #12427
V40T4R

Quote:
It starts on the 2nd or 3rd spin of the starter each and every time, under a second of cranking always, and is always fine when the engine is cold, it's only after it's fully up to temperature that it does it, my journey to work is under 10 minutes and it never does it then as not a long enough journey to get fully up to temp I don't think. I'm no longer getting the hesitation and inability to rev under load like I did before, all vac hoses appear to be fine and I've cleaned the icv, I may well leave the battery disconnected overnight and see if the ECU relearning thing makes any difference, I planned to pull the pump and sender out of the tank again but it's absolutely freezing and has just started to rain so I think I'll leave that for today.

I spent 10 minutes swapping some indicator bulbs round from the orange car, these chrome bulbs that flash orange are such a cheap upgrade but they transform the look of the car so much, they look brilliant compared to standard in my opinion, I've got sick of orange, can't think why haha
I see you got xenon headlights, if ever in need of ballasts or other bits of it, I can help.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 22:06   #12428
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
I have made a video

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 22:13   #12429
gazO2V40T4
Premier Member

Quote:
I have made a video

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Have tried a throttle position sensor or perhaps you have an air leak on the inlet when it’s hot did this happen before you fitted the boost gauge

2002 V40 T4
17" Arcadia's ,Boost Gauge ,Forge Dump Valve And Blanking Plate ,Front Upper Strut Brace
gazO2V40T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2018, 22:28   #12430
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazO2V40T4 View Post
Have tried a throttle position sensor or perhaps you have an air leak on the inlet when it’s hot did this happen before you fitted the boost gauge
It's done it on and off ever since I got it, adding the gauge hasn't changed anything, I do find it odd how it'll sit there and chug like that for as long as I care to leave it, yet turning it off for 2 seconds and it idles fine again.

Unrelated, but I was looking at something on the V40 Wikipedia page and it said in there that the minor facelift in 2000 to the p2 added larger front and rear lights, which we all know it didn't, so I edited it and removed that section, and added that the front indicators are larger, and the front wings and bumper are different, I feel like such a nerd now haha

Last edited by clarkey1984; Jan 22nd, 2018 at 22:32.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clarkey1984 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage