Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

leak at top of windscreen

Views : 11888

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 22nd, 2017, 16:14   #11
wilbydoughboy

I had a really bad leak from my badly bonded windscreen that was finding its way into the car from the top of the screen and after reading there had been many owners who had experienced a similar problem I approached my local dealer to enquire if there was a recall to cover this problem. There was no recall and to solve the leak was something they couldnt help with. I approached Volvo UK to see if there was a safety issue and a recall but was informed there was no recall but to take the car to the local dealer for examination and if the screen was an original fit some goodwill could be made. I managed to stop the leak and I am content to accept it isnt a safety issue. As long as the screen is fully bonded all around I can see no way water can get in this way.
Old May 22nd, 2017, 16:53   #12
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
Have you got any links to pages that covers the policy in Sweden please?
I don't think there are any. This is information sent specifically to Volvo's authorized workshops about how to handle this issue.

I've been told that today, Volvo Car Corp. will only do this as a warranty issue (on cars where the normal warranty has expired) provided the authorized dealer sends a video of water being poured on the roof, and where the video shows this water entering the inside of the windscreen in real time.
This demand is due to customers trying to get a free windscreen replacement in the past for completely other reasons. Like damage by flying rocks or whatever.

When Volvo replaced my leaking windscreen, five and a half years and 200000 km after buying the car, free of charge, I had to provide still images of the car, the windscreen and the water ingress. But it turned out some people poured the water inside the car to get the windscreen for free, so now Volvo only trusts the dealers to document the issue.

Whether this is something they only do in Sweden I don't know. But it's well known that there was a manufacturing problem with the bonding of the glue used for the windscreen for quite some time. It's also obvious, as the windscreen is a part of the structural body of the car, that it's a safety issue if the glue breaks. What if you hit something and the whole windscreen fly away?
Just by pushing not too hard I could make my windscreen move several mm forward, before it was fixed.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 18:06   #13
wilbydoughboy

What I find strange is why the bonding should only fail along the top of the screen, could it be the rubber trim stopping the screen achieving enough pressure when being pushed into position?
Old May 22nd, 2017, 19:55   #14
apersson850
Premier Member

As far as I know it can fail at other places around the windscreen too, but water doesn't leak in at the bottom.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2017, 21:08   #15
kinga

Mine was replaced under the insurance, so just the excess to pay.

The dealer that sold me the car has a few good friends working for Volvo - he tried to get it done under an ex-gratia warranty claim, but Volvo are apparently not agreeing to do this.

The strange thing is that I expected to see the old windscreen with the bonding at the top falling away/decayed, etc, but there was literally NO bonding at the top, like Volvo had missed it!

The fitter said that he had never seen anything like it!
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 00:15   #16
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Ok thanks. For an insurance claim, does the windscreen not need to be damaged in some way? Only ever had one replaced and it had a massive chip in the line of view.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 08:04   #17
footman

Angry drip, drip, drip....do not pass go.....

...... £800 for Climate Control Unit.......

V70 2.4d 08
footman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 13:53   #18
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I had water dripping from the interior light so had to take it off to dry out. It links to the seatbelt warning system so having water swilling around on the PCB is not going to help...
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2017, 13:53   #19
mcbridedesign

Default Leak at top of windscreen

I've had water coming in through top of windscreen which has knocked out heated seats, air con, rv mirror, blower etc in my 2008 V70 D5.
Had the windscreen replaced today only to find no bonding agent at all on top edge. Fitter said he's going to moire and more volvos with the same problem.
I've managed to keep the old windscreen as I'm going to have a go at taking it up with volvo. Fitter said it was a massive safety fail, if the airbags went off, it would have popped the screen out.
mcbridedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2018, 16:26   #20
bobsy852

I've literally just had my windscreen replaced now partly because of this.

A few months ago I noticed the odd spot of water would drop onto the passenger side when driving around corners. Then as the car was stood for a day or two over Christmas I got back in the car to find a puddle on the passenger side footwell.

£420 to change the screen at Autoglass without insuance (I wasn't bothering with trying to put it on Volvo as I just assumed for a car from 2008 they wouldn't give me the time of day...).
Anyway, the glass had a number of stone chips in it, but had recently gained another which was borderline on the requirements for a screen replacement. I called the insurance company though and when the Autoglass guy arrived he measured it and confirmed it was enough to have it replaced. £75 instead!!

I've read elsewhere on the forum some speculation about the quality of work from such aftermarket windscreen fitters but apparently the new screen & bond is guaranteed for the life of the car so we'll see how we get on.

Hopefully no more raining in though!! I can take the towel down from across the top of the screen now! haha
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobsy852 For This Useful Post: