Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

740 and 760 - differences in air-conditioning systems?

Views : 1694

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2018, 23:45   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

You'll be able to transfer from one car to the other though? The under-carpet ducts should be similar as will the dash vents, the sunlight sensor on the left hand dash speaker grille might cause a headache though.

The body shells are pretty similar though, i know the 760 has a slightly different bonnet and wings but fairly sure the bulkhead is the same and the floorpan in the cabin. Those are the two main areas where you'll need them to be the same anyway.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 21:03   #12
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Scoobs

I have been scratching my head for the past hour knowing that you sent me a message or two which I had read today but did not find time to respond. Now discovered moderator has removed our respective posts. I thought the thrust of what we both said was highly pertinent, but seemingly not !

Thanks for the offer of coffee, will do one day, could have done 29 Dec also as visited Fishing Republic in Mildenhall so something got done on another rain filled day. Would be good to see your tank or do you prefer to call it the Jewish Canoe !!! ?

Always forget to ask my buddy who is of the faith, why JC !
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 21:52   #13
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofufi View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've possibly got an option to get hold of all the bits from a late 760 diesel, which has the ACC (the later fully automatic one). Wondering if it'd be possible to get the bits to fit my 740 diesel, which currently has heating only

I'll keep posting with progress if it goes ahead...
Good luck in retro fitting AC into your car

My 940 when I bought it had non working AC and I finally managed to get it to work

I had the existing system gassed/diagnostic and found out immediately leaking AC compressor and Condenser. £40 charge.
I Fitted a new nissens condenser £85, a right pig to undo the bolt out of the old ac condenser clamp to release the old ac pipes. Took me 7 hours on/off. Drilling, hammering and finally resorting to cutting the AC lines so I could remove what was left of the condenser so I could attack the clamp with more drilling and in the end a pointed bolster chisel.
Re joined the old ac pipes with 3/8th and 1/2 inch compression couplers.
Sourced a used matching compressor from ebay with warranty for £35.00.
Didn't have good tools or access to remove/replace compressor, quoted 150+vat. Got a garage to remove, replace and regas for £120.00

Found immediately that there was a large leak on the aftermarket o ring seals behind the condenser clamp so evacuated and I ordered Volvo ones.
Fitted Volvo ones and massively better but after a few weeks slightly weeps but so far still ok 6 months on! Garage re- gassed it for free but didn't know the amount to put in so has 500g, should have 950g.
Unfortunately I damaged the old clamp and they are not available for right hand drive vehicles. Would like to find a good one but most likely hard to remove unless bolt head snaps off! It's like a notched metal part with bolt hole in middle and connects to the bottom left of the condenser. Some 940 AC condensers seem to have screw thread connections instead, which should be easier to undue.

Good luck with your quest

James

Last edited by volvo always; Jan 2nd, 2018 at 21:57.
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 22:55   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfella666 View Post
Scoobs

I have been scratching my head for the past hour knowing that you sent me a message or two which I had read today but did not find time to respond. Now discovered moderator has removed our respective posts. I thought the thrust of what we both said was highly pertinent, but seemingly not !

Thanks for the offer of coffee, will do one day, could have done 29 Dec also as visited Fishing Republic in Mildenhall so something got done on another rain filled day. Would be good to see your tank or do you prefer to call it the Jewish Canoe !!! ?

Always forget to ask my buddy who is of the faith, why JC !
Jewish Canoe? Mine is either the Wee Beastie or the UAV - Urban Assault vehicle usually.

I can only guess Jewish Canoe refers to a barge capable of hauling many wares to be sold at a profit although i think they were popular round Golders Green so that might be another reason.

I think there were a lot of posts deleted wholesale on that other thread, got my ideas on the "why's and wherefore's" about it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 20:23   #15
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Scoob

Thanx for the JC explanation, I suspect you are not a million miles off the mark !

Re the 850 thread I was tempted to point out to the moderator that if he wishes to be factually correct there were at least 2 posts ( yours and mine ) which far from being childish were in fact an invitation to others to search long and hard - for some manners and ( common ) decency if nothing else.

Am I to take it you live next door to a serviceman from good ol US and A ?
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2018, 21:28   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I haven't a clue if my guess is right, wrong or just one of the possibles. Someone may let us know one day!

I think our posts did have some sort of calming effect on that thread, maybe too little too late but then it took the mod a day or two to notice/act on it anyway. Shame as i was just getting into that cheese discussion!

With the exception of my immediate next door neighbour, if i look out my back door past a couple of fields, i'm literally about 5-600 yds from the edge of one end of the air base as the crow (or should i say F-15, soon to be F-22 and later F-35) flies so i'm about as reasonably close to being next door to the air base as most people would get.
There are a few USAF service personnel scattered around the (smallish) estate i live on the edge of though.

Old Jan 6th, 2018, 17:02   #17
tofufi
Premier Member

Just a quick update...

I took the dashboard out of the 760 today. I also found that the vacuum for the control mechanism is taken from the brake vacuum pump - so it won't work with the engine off.

Is anyone able to identify this little thing in the engine bay? It's connected to the brake vacuum pump, and the vac hose goes from it for the climate control, but also connected (via narrow bore vacuum hose) to the intake manifold and fuel pump.

(the bit to the left and just below the connector blocks)
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 17:50   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Is yours a turbo diesel? If so i'd make a guess (only a guess mind!) that it's some sort of valve to prevent boost pressure backfeeding into the brake servo and the heater controls.

Old Jan 6th, 2018, 20:56   #19
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Is yours a turbo diesel? If so i'd make a guess (only a guess mind!) that it's some sort of valve to prevent boost pressure backfeeding into the brake servo and the heater controls.
It is indeed a turbodiesel

That'd make some sense... I found it in this drawing...

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/s...ssembly=235662

Part #18.

Not 100% how it's linked to the air conditioning yet... or perhaps it's not, and I was wrong when I looked at it
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2018, 22:19   #20
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

I suspect it's only linked to the air-con because of the vacuum on the heater controls, knowing Volvos descriptions can sometimes be a tad errr..... "misleading" maybe my guess is right, if not then if there are wires attached (difficult to be sure in your photo) perhaps it's linked in somewhere to some sort of electronic boost control.

I don't really know much about the D24TIC, the last Volvo diesels i worked on wouldn't fit in a car!

Was also about 20 years ago and just routine servicing, they were all computer controlled - press a button on the control pael and after it did its various checks, it would start itself up.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: