Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 d24tic drift project!

Views : 1240

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2017, 22:28   #1
Roche wright

Default 940 d24tic drift project!

Hi there, now I’ve purchased a diesel 940 and wanted to drift it, just wondering other people’s thoughts?? Also I’m new to these cars and wondered if there are any easy mods to get a few more hp? I also need to take the sump off to get welded up, and I believe that’s a little tricky with some hidden bolts holding the gearbox to the engine? Any advise there would be appreciated. Regards Rob
Roche wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 22:35   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I dont know much about the D24 tbh but increasing the boost and turning the pump up will see some power gain. For drifting you normal want a locked diff and stiff suspension.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 09:37   #3
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

I’d say you’d get much more joy for that sort of thing from a 2.3 turbo petrol car. With the B230FK or similar you can find massive gains from altering the wastegate actuator spring on the stock turbo before you have to even think about spending money on extra toys.

A friend who i race with in a national modified Prokart championship was desperate to do all the mods to my old 940 estate to gain a stack of horses for free, but I’m happy with a sedate road car-I get all the grunty fun I need on the track! There’s a stack of stuff you can do to the turbo petrol mills for next to nowt though.

If I were in your shoes and really wanted a drift machine, I’d move the oil burner on and go hunting for a petrol 7/900.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 09:57   #4
tofufi
Premier Member

Got to agree with the above, the diesel is known for being a bit fragile if ragged from cold, and needs to be kept well maintained.

No more powerful than a redblock either...

If you're going to drift it, does your car have air con?
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 17:17   #5
jpliddy
VOC Member

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roche wright View Post
Hi there, now I’ve purchased a diesel 940 and wanted to drift it, just wondering other people’s thoughts?? Also I’m new to these cars and wondered if there are any easy mods to get a few more hp? I also need to take the sump off to get welded up, and I believe that’s a little tricky with some hidden bolts holding the gearbox to the engine? Any advise there would be appreciated. Regards Rob
hi i have same car let me know how you get on with changing the sump pan gasket . i may have to change mine
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 23:00   #6
willvg95

Its an engine out job the sump gasket, youd never get it past the oil pickup.

Give us a message or call regarding making them go faster, i had the idea of making a skid car out of one of my breakers. Should be fun. But as has been mentioned, they are no redblock. You cant hold them on redline all day and expect them to live more than 5 mins. However, they are tough. If you treat them right.
willvg95 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to willvg95 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 23:23   #7
willvg95

Its an engine out job the sump gasket, youd never get it past the oil pickup.

Give us a message or call regarding making them go faster, i had the idea of making a skid car out of one of my breakers. Should be fun. But as has been mentioned, they are no redblock. You cant hold them on redline all day and expect them to live more than 5 mins. However, they are tough. If you treat them right.
willvg95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 12:26   #8
Roche wright

Thanks for all of your messages. I know the engine isn’t the best. The thing is my brother in laws stag do next year is basically a top gear challenge type one where we group up and buy cheap cars, modify them all within a £600 budget. The car cost me £300 and came with some daft bits and bobs all ready on it! Bucket seats, steering wheel, boost gauge etc. Now I also originally saw video’s of these with bonnet exhausts and they sound pretty damn cool. Another reason I thought it would be perfect for the stag do car! The whole drift thing is because the lad who I bought it off drifted it and I thought of having a go before the stag do?? It’s got the Locking diff in it! Is it G80??
I know the petrol engine is far better and probably would be the better route to go drifting, but I do fancy a bonnet exhaust with loads of black smoke😂
Anyway I’ve taken the engine out now, as mentioned it’s the only way to remove the sump! So I’ll get that removed and welded up! Also there seems to be a lot of oily residue around the inter cooler pipes! Would this mean oil seals in the turbo are knackered??
Roche wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 14:13   #9
T5Sweep
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roche wright View Post
Thanks for all of your messages. I know the engine isn’t the best. The thing is my brother in laws stag do next year is basically a top gear challenge type one where we group up and buy cheap cars, modify them all within a £600 budget. The car cost me £300 and came with some daft bits and bobs all ready on it! Bucket seats, steering wheel, boost gauge etc. Now I also originally saw video’s of these with bonnet exhausts and they sound pretty damn cool. Another reason I thought it would be perfect for the stag do car! The whole drift thing is because the lad who I bought it off drifted it and I thought of having a go before the stag do?? It’s got the Locking diff in it! Is it G80??
I know the petrol engine is far better and probably would be the better route to go drifting, but I do fancy a bonnet exhaust with loads of black smoke😂
Anyway I’ve taken the engine out now, as mentioned it’s the only way to remove the sump! So I’ll get that removed and welded up! Also there seems to be a lot of oily residue around the inter cooler pipes! Would this mean oil seals in the turbo are knackered??
The G80 as standard only operates up to a certain speed (can't remember what it is), but there's a mod you can do which allows it to engage at all speeds, however they're not great compared to something like a proper plated LSD.

There's generally oil in any turbo cars pipes as the engine breather systems usually send vapour back through the engine to be burnt off instead of venting to atmosphere, take the hoses off and see if there's a lot of oil sat in them, but yes possibly a worn turbo. Not sure what the diseasels have bolted to them, possibly Garett?
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 17:24   #10
tofufi
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5Sweep View Post
Not sure what the diseasels have bolted to them, possibly Garett?
My 740 turbodiesel (non-intercooled) has a Garrett T3. Not sure if the intercooled cars are the same, but if nothing else the turbo compressor housing is rotated a different direction.
tofufi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tofufi For This Useful Post: