Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What do I need to look out for on a 2000 V70?

Views : 971

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 13:45   #1
forestfan

Smile What do I need to look out for on a 2000 V70?

Hi all. I am about to buy my first Volvo - a 2000 V70. It has a full service history but I am concerned about the high number of miles on the clock (180,000). Should I be worried about this and what should I be checking on a V70 of this age and mileage? All advice gratefully received!
forestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 13:48   #2
tykey

180000 might seem a lot, but not on these.

We seem to be having a lot of issues with leaking steering racks, so have a close look to see if the rubber bellows on the ends are both dry.

Check for any messages on the computer (if it's got one)
tykey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 14:08   #3
forestfan

Thumbs up Re: What do I need to look out for on a 2000 V70?

Thanks tykey - I know bugger all about cars in general and Volvos in particular so this is helpful. I suspected the mileage was not excessive but it is good to know!
forestfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 21:41   #4
gdphillips
ba baracus...

i have a t5 est 850 with 175000 miles on it and just cant find nothing wrong with it im an ex aa /rac patol just check all the levels oils water open the caps break fluid oil etc befor the car starts and look for any leaks...water pipes amd water marks a shiny engine bay may hide old leaks so look on the floor where its parked dont buy on the spot but photo it and post any probs you find on here even if you wait one night befor you buy
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 14:18   #5
V70Driver
Premier Member

Default Drive by wire

If it is a Classic V70 you will most probably have the ETM drive by wire throttle system and not as I assumed when I bought my car (Year 2000 Classic) a simple throttle cable.
Check this site on the ETM threads. If or when you buy it, take it to your nearest main or independent dealer and ask for the readouts. I did this with mine two days after buying. It cost £50. Fortunately the only "problem" mine drew up was the off side driver red courtesy door light had blown. I was pleased I had done this to prove the seller had done what he had informed he had done.
Other than that its a great car.
There are plenty on this forum who will give lots of expert help and advice.
Good luck with your car.
V70Driver
V70Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2009, 17:10   #6
capt jack
VOC Member

My 97 V70 is just coming up to 180,000 and still going strong. A Volvo will last a lot longer than an ordinary car, but it does need to be looked after properly. Some people use the car's longevity as a reason not to bother servicing it!

A few thoughts on your impending purchase:

1. Does the current owner look like someone who has looked after the car? Is the car clean and cared for? If the owner's had it years and are selling it because they fancy a change, that's good. If they've had it only a short while then why is it for sale?

2. Does everything work properly? Check that all the electrics work, that the brakes pull the car up straight, that there are no obvious leaks anywhere. Look at the tyres - is there plenty of tread (ie more than 3mm all round) and are the wheels in reasonable condition? Does the aircon work? Check that the carpets are bone dry. If not be suspicious.

3. Do all the warning lights come on with the ignition and go off as soon as the engine fires up? It should start easily! Do any warning lights come on while driving? The idle should be perfectly smooth at just under the 1000 rpm mark on the rev counter

4. Look at the brake discs on all four wheels. Is there a pronounced lip around the edge? If so then the discs may be shot. Does the handbrake hold the car on no more than four or five notches?

5. Do the seats move as they should, especially the rear seats. No point in buying an estate if the back seats won't fold flat! The drivers seat should not be worn out - at 180,000 miles it should still be supremely comfortable and supportive.

6. Get proof that the cambelt has been changed - at around 70,000-80,000miles, and then again at 160,000, or every seven or eight years. This car should be on it's third cambelt. If the owner doesn't know - don't buy it. Check out the ETM thing too as mentioned bu another poster.

7. 70-series Volvos do not rust unless they've been bodged. Reject the car if there is any sign of rust anywhere.

8. If it's an auto make sure it drives properly - changes smoothly, doesn't snatch, clunk or make any funny noises, with minimal delay in taking up the drive from rest. Look at the auto fluid - if it's black don't buy. If it's a rusty brown this is OK. If it's obviously bright red and fresh ask the owner why it's just been changed. It may have been done in response to a developing gearbox problem. You need to know as auto box repairs are ££££xpensive!

9.Don't worry if the service history isn't Volvo main dealer, just so long as it's complete and documented. I do my own servicing and so have no stamped-up book, but I keep a record of everything I do.There are some very good independents about.

The V70 is a brilliant car - get a good one and they are unbeatable!

Good luck

Cheers

Jack

Last edited by capt jack; Jan 23rd, 2009 at 17:14.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:

Tags
v70 advice