Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Rustberg

Views : 8134

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 8th, 2023, 07:36   #31
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
Thanks everyone. Yes it is bad but it can be saved. At the end of the day it's nearly a 50 year old car which is been fixed for MOTs rather than restoration.

Still motivated to carry on and looking at parts and things I need. Also thinking of upgrades like using poly bushes instead of rubber as from what I've seen modern rubber does not last long at all.

Working on the wing repairs now but that's very difficult as there is no reference to how it should look and line up from the sill to the rear of the panel.

I'm budgeting around 1.5k to get the underside of the car solid and finished.

There will be other expenses in regards to safety items that I might just replace even if they look ok.
Excellent Jackman, I can never understand why folk restore old motorcars like new (or sometimes better than new). I'm really pleased to hear this is a project to get the Rustberg up to MoT condition and then use it.

I'm guessing the £1,500 budget for the underside is just parts and materiel, so not including your time? If one was paying a body shop to do it that bill could easily be £5,000 and so more than the motorcar will be worth at the end.

I came across this article that Footman James sent me in an email and thought of the Rustberg:

https://www.footmanjames.co.uk/blog/...Q0MzIzOTYwNAS2

... I'm in no way deriding the Rustberg project - rather the opposite - I'm in awe of your resolution.

Old Jul 8th, 2023, 10:30   #32
Jackman

Yes the budget does not include time. If it was then the car isn't worth doing for the financial reason and would also but labour at the same estimate as you.

I'm doing it as it's something I enjoy and in a way can challenge my skills with using basic tools.

I work on computers every day so it's nice being able to use my hands to create something.
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2023, 11:08   #33
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes the budget does not include time. If it was then the car isn't worth doing for the financial reason and would also but labour at the same estimate as you.

I'm doing it as it's something I enjoy and in a way can challenge my skills with using basic tools.

I work on computers every day so it's nice being able to use my hands to create something.
I think what you are doing with the Rustberg embodies the very spirit of this forum Jackman. You are saving an old Volvo even though it makes little financial sense, you are doing the work yourself and you intend to achieve a good daily driver, not a show car. I’m pretty sure I speak for all the regular correspondents in the 200 section when I say we all respect what you are doing and the way you are going about it.

Juular did something similar with his 240 GLT saloon a few years ago, if you haven’t read his thread already I’d recommend it (I’ll post a link to it later).

PS. Juular’s 240 project:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312429

Last edited by Othen; Jul 8th, 2023 at 11:14.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2023, 11:15   #34
Moomoo
VOC Member

Hear,hear!🧐👍
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 11:36   #35
Jackman

Update from the past.

Finally decided to start adding images from the initial investigations. I stupidly didnt take any good pictures of the front and back because I honestly thought that it would be a few weekends to fix this car and be driving it based on the fact it had a decent MOT... how wrong was I.

First thing I after getting it was check it started, which it did on the first turn of the key, however the engine mounts are so bad it looks like it could jump out of the car.

These images show the worst area of the rear panel and the interior. The interior needs a good clean but overall is not too bad. The rear panel was not even attached due to the rust in that area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20230223104740.jpg (178.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230223104832.jpg (250.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230223135648.jpg (317.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230223135718.jpg (360.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230223135726.jpg (174.8 KB, 17 views)
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jackman For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 11:40   #36
Jackman

First steps was to fix that rear panel, it was really bad and knew it would impact other repairs if I was not careful and fully seperated the wing from it.

Usual steps followed, investigated, cut out the rust and then fabricated the repair sections. This has not been finished, even to this day, as it may need some more changes once the bottom of the wing has been repaired after the spare wheel well has been replaced.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20230225144524.jpg (331.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230226120510.jpg (284.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230227145600.jpg (242.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230303171348.jpg (220.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230304171301.jpg (298.0 KB, 19 views)
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 11:45   #37
Jackman

Now the rear panel was actually attached back to the car I could repair the boot closing panel. It looks alot harder than it is but I was able to use the other side to get a template and then copy that over in order to fabricate the repair on the wing as well as the closing panel.

Now that was done I wanted to check out the areas needed to make the boot watertight again, a wirebrush did the damage to the corner around the rear window meaning that needs to come out in order to fix all that. Thats when I decided to do the arches first as the car is outside and needs to be kept as water tight as possible.... as you can see horrors were starting to appear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20230307160855.jpg (219.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230307165207.jpg (215.1 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230310154109.jpg (337.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230310160126.jpg (289.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230310161746.jpg (161.2 KB, 16 views)
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 11:55   #38
Jackman

The arch repairs were not actually a full repair, just an arch over the old one and then tacked into place. Removing the tacks showed that its not the first time its had a patch just welded over rust for the wheel well which is why it was all cut out.

During this time is where I found out that the jacking points were not actually fully attached to the car, the screwdriver picture is going through the mount into the sill, it had been "welded" but not actually repaired.

Now this is the last of the pictures before the video documentation started for youtube and the first video in this thread.

This is now the latest video on the car and things are slowly getting repaired. It is nearly up-to-date with the progress as this weather has stopped me from making any progress outside recently.
https://youtu.be/hAsmx4He7_M

I hope this shows a bit more on the condition of the car, is it bad? Yes. Does it make financial sense? Not really. Are you going to carry on? Yeah, why not, where else would you see a green car with a brown interior.

I really appriciate all the comments too, it does help with the motivation as well as the threads to other peoples repairs, it means I can have a look at how things should look.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20230408152602.jpg (390.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230409135329.jpg (180.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230419151917.jpg (382.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230419163153.jpg (236.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20230419163906.jpg (294.5 KB, 16 views)
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 11:57   #39
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Update from the past.

Finally decided to start adding images from the initial investigations. I stupidly didnt take any good pictures of the front and back because I honestly thought that it would be a few weekends to fix this car and be driving it based on the fact it had a decent MOT... how wrong was I.

First thing I after getting it was check it started, which it did on the first turn of the key, however the engine mounts are so bad it looks like it could jump out of the car.

These images show the worst area of the rear panel and the interior. The interior needs a good clean but overall is not too bad. The rear panel was not even attached due to the rust in that area.
Quote:
First steps was to fix that rear panel, it was really bad and knew it would impact other repairs if I was not careful and fully seperated the wing from it.

Usual steps followed, investigated, cut out the rust and then fabricated the repair sections. This has not been finished, even to this day, as it may need some more changes once the bottom of the wing has been repaired after the spare wheel well has been replaced.
Quote:
Now the rear panel was actually attached back to the car I could repair the boot closing panel. It looks alot harder than it is but I was able to use the other side to get a template and then copy that over in order to fabricate the repair on the wing as well as the closing panel.

Now that was done I wanted to check out the areas needed to make the boot watertight again, a wirebrush did the damage to the corner around the rear window meaning that needs to come out in order to fix all that. Thats when I decided to do the arches first as the car is outside and needs to be kept as water tight as possible.... as you can see horrors were starting to appear.
Excellent update Jackman,

I've been following your YouTube posts with interest - thank you. This one is going to be difficult to make sure everything lines up at the end because so many pieces will be interdependent. I think you are taking the sensible approach in getting the tub more or less weathertight before the winter.

I can see this project becoming the textbook guide to 240 restoration.

At least the interior looks good

Well done - stick at it
Old Jul 15th, 2023, 14:16   #40
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The arch repairs were not actually a full repair, just an arch over the old one and then tacked into place. Removing the tacks showed that its not the first time its had a patch just welded over rust for the wheel well which is why it was all cut out.

During this time is where I found out that the jacking points were not actually fully attached to the car, the screwdriver picture is going through the mount into the sill, it had been "welded" but not actually repaired.

Now this is the last of the pictures before the video documentation started for youtube and the first video in this thread.

This is now the latest video on the car and things are slowly getting repaired. It is nearly up-to-date with the progress as this weather has stopped me from making any progress outside recently.
https://youtu.be/hAsmx4He7_M

I hope this shows a bit more on the condition of the car, is it bad? Yes. Does it make financial sense? Not really. Are you going to carry on? Yeah, why not, where else would you see a green car with a brown interior.

I really appriciate all the comments too, it does help with the motivation as well as the threads to other peoples repairs, it means I can have a look at how things should look.
I like your stoical attitude Jackman. Even at this stage it would make most sense to find a better chassis that needs a new interior and mechanical parts, and use it as a donor. Don’t give up though, there is more to this project than what makes financial sense. There will be a great sense of achievement when you finally get to the end and can drive around in a green 244 with a brown interior, just like the RB:

Last edited by Othen; Jul 15th, 2023 at 14:26.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: