Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problems Bleeding B230 FT

Views : 1723

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2010, 12:49   #1
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Default Problems Bleeding B230 FT

Hi all.

I Decided to change some bits and peaces on My new 940.

I have changed all the water hoses and radiator including the small hoses that go to and from the oil cooler.

I also choose to replace the little valve that sits behind the head and makes up the hose that runs from the top of the head to the heater matrix. (not quite sure what it does but I have previously had a bad exsperience when one failed on me.

After changing all these peaces I now find that I am struggling to bleed the system.

I only managed to get about two litres of anti freezze and two litres of water in the system. I am also getting no heat what so ever in the cabin even though the temperture gauge has got so high I decided to switch the car off and let it cool down.

I realise there is probably quite alot of air in the system and I have checked the direction of flow of that heater valve thing. After an inicial gurgle and drop in water level in the header tank I am getting no bubbles.

Any suggestions?
Steve Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 13:06   #2
940_Turbo

Check the small diameter hose from the top of the rad to the expansion bottle is clear. The nipple in the rad gets blocked. Without that connection the system won't fill.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 13:21   #3
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Best advice I can give anyone bleeding the air from a cooling system is to get the front of the car as high as possible.
I drive mine up on to my ramps to do it.

It's a system that I was taught many moons ago, by a very good mechanic, and I've never had a problem doing it since.

Obviously make sure that the heater control inside the car is set to high, and for what they cost, I'd replace the thermostat too.
Old Nov 17th, 2010, 14:57   #4
karlos_uk
Master Member

technically speaking its the header tank that needs to be higher than the rest of the system.

if you are struggling, run the car and fill it. squeeze the top radiator hose on the passenger side until the bubbles stop and if you are feeling brave blow with your mouth in the header tank making a seal with your lips with engine cold and not running. then remove head from area quickly or get splashed / taste coolant.

ive done this now i think 8 times in the past year and it works every time. just ensure the cabin temp switch is set to hot
karlos_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 18:13   #5
Steve Curtis
super cruising 240

Phew!!!

I went out to it this morning (chuffing bright and early) and the water level had dropped out of sight. I managed to get a couple more litres of coolant in and it bleed up fairly quickly.

Question though. When should I get water from the return pipe of the top of the rad. All the time, when the fan kicks in, ???

It didn't seem to be comming through there at all :-(

Drove the car about 25 miles today. Gave it the beans and let it run and get hot for ages. No problems. Still a bit concerned about not getting water from the little return pipe though.

Any ideas???
Steve Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2010, 19:53   #6
TonyS9
Premier Member

I think you should get water from the (return) bleed pipe when the engine is warm and running. I often use it to lower the water level if I overfill it or to allow more anti-freeze.

I had a problem with the expansion tank, the return input was blocked on a badly looked after car.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote