Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear brake pads replacement write up.

Views : 1939

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2017, 22:45   #1
Vfifty

Default Rear brake pads replacement write up.

Hi all, replaced rear brake pads on my V50 2.0D recently, took few photos while at it. Posting them here, hope it will help others if you decide to diy.

Not sure on how to insert photos properly and text to photos. For now will write step by step description of procedure. (Please let me know how to insert text next to image, for my next write up).
See photos and read relevant description below:

-Bought set of Pagid rear brake pads at Eurocarparts (read Pagid reviews, all positive, comparing to other cheaper brands)

-Next photo of pads unboxed, the ones with springs are for inside of brake disc, to be installed against piston.

-Also bough 1 l. of Pagid brake fluid, mine is DOT 4. ( Just in case, though didn't use this time)

-Photo of wheel removed (19 mm wheel nuts) exposing brake system.

-You see brake system diagramme with sliding pins highlighted in red, you will need 7 mm allen key (hexagon) to undo them.

-Once sliding pins undone, you pull brake calliper from its place and hang it on spring with piece of wire. You can push sliding pins back into housing gently with flat screwdriver to release and lift calliper. Remove spring clip and old pads.

-Next photo is to compare old pads vs new ones. Old pads from inside of brake disc( against brake piston) had only 3 mm of pad left, not shown on photo.

-YOU WILL need brake winding tool to push piston back, due to new pads are thicker and will need more room to fit in. I would not recommend starting this job without brake winding tool. The principle is simple, you use this tool to turn clockwise and push piston back at the same time, just pushing or just turning piston WILL NOT DO ANYTHING.

-Next photo is usual in this case WD 40, some Anti seize spray for pads seating place to reduce friction/seizing

-Finally, you installed new pads in place, put calliper back on, tightened calliper sliding pins (7 mm allen key) and 30 N/M torque.

-Job done ! Rear pads replaced.

Planning to do same job on front ones in near future. Please note, whereas size for rear pads same for all V50 I think, front ones vary between 300 and 320 mm. Size of front disc is shown on top right corner of brake bracket, you see it once wheel removed ( see last photo)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (28.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (21.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (16.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (20.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (32.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (22.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (37.9 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (408.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (34.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (28.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg Fron disc size ref..jpg (21.4 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Vfifty; Jan 15th, 2017 at 23:29.
Vfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vfifty For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 12:38   #2
StatusRed
Premier Member

Very good write up thanks!

When I did this job in the Summer I (stupidly) started without a rewind tool and found myself in trouble. When I eventually got the tool though and rewound the brake pads back in though I still had a lot of trouble getting the caliper over the new brake pads and eventually just had to put the old Volvo pads back in (they were only 3 months old and the main part of the job I was doing was changing the discs rather than the pads so I wasn't bothered).

Just thought I'd mention this to see if other people have had problems trying to get new brake pads to fit in? The ones on the car were Volvo and I was trying to change them to Brembo.

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2017, 13:42   #3
Vfifty

Even though brake rewinding tool was available I still had a trouble due to wrong size of pins
on this tool. So further advice, check pin centres distance.Little bit of explanation here, brake piston has two small holes on surface for rewinding pins on tool to be inserted, so you can turn it. Bought one adapter (multisize cube type) from EuroCarparts,to discover that it does not fit. Volvo has to be different !
Vfifty is offline   Reply With Quote