Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

engine/gearbox swap?

Views : 727

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 21st, 2006, 19:30   #1
minesa240x3
loyalty

Post engine/gearbox swap?

right before everyone shouts i will find out the gearbox model numbers,but for now can a manual box go on a auto engine(crank,prop etc).
"E"reg 240 GLT auto with B230E-CI fuel injection.burnt out gearbox.
"E"reg 240 DL 4 speed manual with B230K-pierburg 2b5 carburetor.
I brought the GLT for spares but its to good to break apart from the gearbox.
Apart from my 240 DL "E"reg 4 speed manual with pierburg carburetor I have a "B"reg 240DL B200K 5 speed manual with solex cisac.both engines are fine.but both are rot buckets.could just swap the complete units BUT FOR the CI-injection wiring etc.obviously the pedals and clutch resevoir would have to be done.any help appreciated.surely i can make one out of the three somehow?My "J"reg 240 SE B200F auto is not to be touched on account its on the road and running sweet!Any suggestions welcome.(minesa240x4-now)
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21st, 2006, 20:38   #2
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

I put a 5 speed manual (M47) from a A reg 240DL car into a B reg 240GLT as I hated the auto box it came with.

Swapping the pedal assembly is a pain as there is barely enough room to get it in and out but it will go, albeit scratching the paint a bit. You will probably need to cut a hole for the clutch master cylinder. I bought a special hole cutter for sheet metal to do this. Be very careful about lining up and drilling the holes for the securing bolts as I got them a bit out which caused me no end of grief.

It's a lot of hard work but all perfectly possible.

I would go for a 5 speed (M47) or 4 speed + od (M46) over a 4 speed (M45) any day of the week.

Andrew
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 08:28   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

All the usual provisos about needing the right prop shaft for the box, check the speedo connection if not on the back axle, overdrive wiring and solenoid, correct rear rubber mounting for the box, etc.
Mike usually adds something about diff ratios - not sure how relevant here.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 19:25   #4
xpress

If I'm not mistaken you need to put a bearing in the back of the crankshaft of the auto engine for the manual gearbox axel. You also need the flywheel with clutch from an engine which had a manual gearbox but you probably knew that already. It is possible to swap the black panel in the bulk head for one with the hole for the clutch if you have or can get a panel from a manual car.
xpress is offline   Reply With Quote