Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 Estate (+expert advice) needed for feature

Views : 1323

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:50   #11
barrie013

Fuel gauges seem to be a weak point, they become erratic and then fail.
Front seat bolts work loose(albeit long after most other cars are in a scrapyard) but this is a DIY repair.
The best way that I can describe the 240 series of cars is to liken it to a 'zippo' lighter. It is the ultimate design of its kind, and cannot be improved upon without a total re-design. The proof of this is that the 900 series, a direct evolution of the 200 series is also a superb vehicle.
Front engine/rear drive means that you don't have to dsmantle the front suspension to change a clutch.
North/south engine makes most ancilliaries easily accessible.
Proven design means that the only changes to the vehicles over the years are to improve the vehicle, and not to keep up with trends or fashion.
I could go on and on...
barrie013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:34   #12
Old Bean
VOC Member

Russ

Areas to look for corrosion:

Floor pan - corrosion usually starts adjacent to the inner sill box section around the area of the front seats. If left unchecked will extend all the way along the the inner sill and spread under the front seat support cross box section.
Tailgate opening bottom section - look up behind the rear bumper - repair panels available.
Tailgate door - rust at the bottom seam.
Rear wheel arches - inner and outer repair panels available.

As mentioned previously - wiring to tailgate - wiper, registration plate light, door lock, rear screen heater goes through the door hinges. These wires always break with the constant use of the door. Two methods of repair seem to exist: a) Replace with tailgate loom using Volvo original part (apparently wires used by Volvo are specifically made for this function) b) by-pass the hinge and make-up own loom; route and loop from head-lining across gap to the top of the door.

Hope this helps
Doug

Last edited by Old Bean; Jun 28th, 2006 at 11:39.
Old Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 21:22   #13
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Default 245GL Original & Good for Photos!

Hi, I am no where near you, but have an original 245GL 1989 ( UK model but now registered in France - it is on its 4th plate!) in near mint condition. Also have the ideal countyside setting to allow for great photography!

My car is Volvo Owners Club registered and comes with a mint 480ES to 'push' into the backround of your photos....

Anyway I am in France & can provide accommodation........ fancy a working holiday?

Try www.gitessouthbrittany.com then scroll down to the 'navigation bar' and click on 'Volvo page'. From here you will will see all my Volvo cars, past & present!

God luck with your article!
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 21:43   #14
Glen Morangie
Economy motorist

I'm in the London area, a few minutes from the M25 (across the bridge though) with a white 1990 DL estate, but it hasn't been cleaned for a while due to the hosepipe ban.

You really want a classic or Torslanda if you can find one.

Last edited by Glen Morangie; Jun 28th, 2006 at 21:45.
Glen Morangie is offline   Reply With Quote