Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800 on ebay

Views : 1054

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2011, 10:02   #1
nadvolv
volvfnad

Default P1800 on ebay

Hi I have been very much an observer of this excellent forum for some time so its time to say Hello I am an old volvo fanatic have been for 30ish years an ex volvo mechanic from the 240/260 days.Currently restoring an amazon estate,anyway never mind all that there is a p1800 on ebay at the moment I emailed the chap who is selling it and he doesn't want to do viewings seems like it could probably be because he doesn't want anyone looking to closely,Anyone know this car? Cant bring myself to bid on what smacks of a recent blow over on a ton of filler and fibreglass.Regards nadvolv
nadvolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 11:45   #2
Jazzbouche

Hi, I saw this car in Classic Car Weekly on Wednesday. Phoned up mid morning but it had already been sold. It was on at 2200, and obviously the guy who bought it is planning on cashing in. I called the original seller again, and it is definitely the same car. It'll be interesting to see what it goes for.
Jazzbouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:56   #3
Michael English
Michael 1800E on carbs

Scam alarm bells are ringing, call me a cynic. I chased a few motorbikes recently which had been sold on ebay and then cloned onto the Gumtree site. If a car has just had a genuine sale from a mag & reappears on ebay and the 'vendor' doesn't want anyone to see it, it stinks. If you are lucky enough to be near enough to see it first, and he refuses, I suggest you use the tool within ebay to report it as a possible scam. Tell him you are thinking of doing so unless he allows a viewing. There are ways like Paypal to get money out of you & then vanish.
Michael English is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 13:34   #4
nadvolv
volvfnad

Default p1800 on ebay

thanks for your replies it just feels a bit wrong why would you try to sell a car but deny access fuzzy pictures looks like a recent blow over masking a fair bit of nastiness why does the inner wing look newly painted?the rest of the engine bay looks as you would expect
Old May 27th, 2011, 13:56   #5
Jazzbouche

I could be wrong, but I think the guy spotted a p1800 at a cheap price and just thought he could sell it on at a profit without even doing anything to it. Fair enough if he can - he's certainly moved quickly with it. The pictures he's posted weren't in the classic weekly paper, so I think he's genuinely bought it and is now selling it on. No idea why he wouldn't want someone to see it first though, because if you won the bid and turned up to see a dog of a car you'd just walk away! You'd think it would be in his interest to promote viewings.
Old May 27th, 2011, 18:34   #6
nadvolv
volvfnad

Default p1800 on ebay

Hi jazzzbouche you spoke to the original owner did he give any idea of its condition I mean why so cheap if it was in reasonable condition it would have made a lot more or is he not aware of the true value and let it go for what he thought without doing a little research good luck to the guy selling just hate the thought of someone buying something which could end up needing more work than they bargained for
Old May 28th, 2011, 08:54   #7
Jazzbouche

Hi nadvolv, the original owner said it was in ok condition - he uses it to potter around locally. I asked about rust and he said there was a bit on the boot but none apart from that. I think that might be optimistic, but it's always so hard to know. I think the new seller seems to be upfront about the condition - he's openly saying theres a load of filler, so that's got to put anyone looking at it on alert. I think the original price of 2200 was probably a good price, but it sounds like it needs a fair bit of work, and as I'm sure most people on this forum know - that can spiral out of control very quickly.
Old May 28th, 2011, 16:21   #8
nadvolv
volvfnad

Hi jazzbouche thanks for the info your right about how these things can spiral dont think I will bid for this car I like to see what I am getting first from what Ive gleaned seems it would make to the next mot then the fun would begin I bought an amazon estate from ebay went and saw it I knew what I was taking on, this car had a years mot,once I got into the w/shop it became clear it should have failed on a number of things having an mot doesn't always mean the car is up to scratch shall we say Regards juquke