Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine swap

Views : 1343

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 13:33   #1
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

Default Engine swap

hello one and all, some of you may know of my project Tulip, this question relates to her new engine I want to install.

I have just been given a B reg 240 GLT from fellow member Maddie (MAD MAX) and I want to know if I can put the 2.3 injection engine from that into my 240 GL estate 89 F plate?

also which is the most powerful of the 2.3 engines?
tuning_redblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 13:38   #2
general_joe

what engine codes are they? most of the details are on the RWD FAQ once you have the engine code.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 17:10   #3
chris m

Poweroutput? Spot on with the GLT! It's B230E engine was the "top of the range", just the very early GLT's with B23E engines had a slightly meaner cam.

Will the engine fit? Yes, the block itself perfectly will BUT has your estate a carb or fuel injection? If it's a carb and you would like to use the injection system from the GLT there is a lot of work to be done, wiringwise and a returnpipe to the tank. Maybe it would be easier to fit two fat twincarbs (power and appetite for fuel will increase, the first slightly, the latter significantly).

If your estate is injected, it's more or less a straightforward swap. I'm not sure if the electronic injection (enginecode F) was fitted to F reg cars in the UK, but you could fit that injection system straight away to the block from your GLT, just one tempsensor needs to be recoiled.

Cheers, Chris
chris m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 17:16   #4
chris m

Just forgot: The B23E/B230E was just the most powerful 2.3 liter originally fitted to the 240. The 16V or turbos fitted to the 700/900s provide even more go, but they won't fit your 240 without some modifications.

Cheers, Chris
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 18:03   #5
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

Hello Chris and thanks for that.
My estate is an injection B200E auto estate,

The donar I want to take parts from is:
a B reg 2.3 B23 injection engine (silver top) auto saloon.

I want to know if I can just take out and drop in and match up the plugs on the harness'es?
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 23:00   #6
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

The B23 will bolt straight in (this engine is not quite so free revving as the B230) - there are some differences in the plugs on some of the sensors but easily overcome if you have both engine looms. You have to use the GLT power steering pump as the block does not have the mountings for the later pump. to gain full benefits of the engine it pays to fit the GLT axle from a 5 speed manual (about 87? on) as it is higher geared.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 08:17   #7
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

Thanks Mike, I have one of those in the shed off my 89 GLT saloon donor,

So the consensus is that I can take out the B23E out of the B reg with the loom and drop it into the F reg B200E engine bay, then swap the axle for a later GLT manual one, and then swap the gearbox for a 5 speed manual (I already have all the parts ready)

Is that ok everyone?
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:17   #8
chris m

Yes, should be easy like that!

The one thing I don't know about is the rear axle thing. My '90 245 GL, M47, B230E (from '89 GLT) fitted with LH 2.4 Jetronic (from original '90 B200F) uses the original rear axle (unfortunately I don't know its ratio) and combined with 195/65 15 tyres I'm very pleased with it. The car outruns the speedo at 5000 RPM (on the german Autobahn only, of course) and is fairly quick of the mark. With a longer rear axle I would be afraid of slower acceleration, especially when the car is loaded for our holidays.

But maybe the GLT axle gives a similar overall gearing with 196/60 15 tyres fitted (as original).

Good luck with the swap and keep us updated how things are going, Chris
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 17:28   #9
dgbalfour
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris m
B230E (from '89 GLT) fitted with LH 2.4 Jetronic (from original '90 B200F)
Interesting! I've thought a bit about doing this, how easy was it to achieve? Simpler than swapping over the GLT looms into the new car, or not?

I have no experience (yet) of the B230E, but I imagine you had to add some sensors to it to make the 2.4 Jetronic work?

David
dgbalfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 19:00   #10
ALLOA
Master Member

Default Engine Swap

I've just completed puting an 'F' reg GLT engine and loom into my Torslanda. I could never get a consensus on whethEr I could take the Jetronic injection off the Torslanda engine, bolt it onto the GLT engine and then run. In the end I swapped over the loom as well (time consuming but not difficult) The only trouble that I had was that the ignition barrel on the Torslanda was different to the GLT meaning that I had to get a little electrical work carried out. Other than that it has been well worth the effort.

Post on this should only be a few weeks back in the forum.

Best of luck!

S
ALLOA is offline   Reply With Quote