Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help 240 questions

Views : 2184

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 23:03   #11
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

I too have scrapped many Volvos and many in far better condition than the GLT. It is often impossible to find a buyer for them. I certainly support anyone who wishes to modify and am very willing to help and advise the likes of Andi with there projects and share my knowledge with them.
I have converted a 244 to a pick-up, built a trailer from a 245, fitted a 2.3 turbo to a 244 lhd. All our cars have had suspension mods. I intend converting a couple of our 240s to 16v as soon as time permits. These mods are done for a specific reason - to provide transport to do want I want, generally carrying things, towing things, getting from A to B quickly. This means my vehicles have to go handle and stop well! my son Matt is also in to the "youth" thing - OTT sound systems, lighting, tinted windows and purple wheels. I try to remain a little more incognito as I try getting to personally known by the NWP - to many of them recognise my Volvo anyway as 240s are relatively rare especially ones making rapid progress!

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 00:02   #12
minesa240x3
loyalty

Post Thank Goodness we are all different.

Hi Andi just wanted to say good for you.we all have our own tastes and i for one would love to have the money to restore an old car to new,but on the other hand i also get a kick out of dreaming up ideas that i think would look good!The obvious 240 pickup truck(it screams out to be done)i still have both my old volvos and both are just so far gone rustwise that one day i will have to scrap them.the spares are getting less on each car as time goes by,seven years its been in a barn beleave it or not and my B reg still runs and is drivable even though i have SWAPPED all the good bits for the bad bits,my boss moans now and then so i just move them about a bit to shut him up. I have just bought a 240 GLT sold for spares,i only wanted the wheels and paid £24.99 for it,now i have the problem of is it really that bad???the gearbox is dead(auto) but i have two spare cars to rob???before the cars are scrapped i will chop the back into a pickup Breg(just to see whats involved)but i will get carried away trying to do a perfect job and then wish i could restoreit.goodluck with all your future projects,brian.

Last edited by minesa240x3; Jun 24th, 2006 at 00:10.
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 22:55   #13
93240se
VOC Member 3801

Smile

Hello Andi, will you be coming to the next Nottingham /Trent Valley meeting 1st Wed in July, would be interested to see your 245 against my bog standard one now you seem to have added even more mods. Where did you get the prancing moose stickers ?

Regards, Richard.
93240se is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 23:01   #14
Inverted
Right Wheel Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93240se
Hello Andi, will you be coming to the next Nottingham /Trent Valley meeting 1st Wed in July, would be interested to see your 245 against my bog standard one now you seem to have added even more mods. Where did you get the prancing moose stickers ?

Regards, Richard.
Hi Richard,

Just been googling that!

Try this link >> http://bartonharness.com/VolvoPrancingMoose.html

Hope it helps,
Chas

'95 945 B230FD Manual 87k
Koni Sports & PI Springs & Poly Bushes
Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 23:16   #15
tuning_redblock
Grrrrrrrrrrreat Member

Hello Richard, I looked at the ones from that site but they of the printed type, I made my own up with some vinyl and a bit of practice, I've sold a couple to people on the V3M, I will certainly try to come along to the next Nottingham section meet if I can just to put my face to my signature.

I appear to have sparked off a debate on the V3M and here about how some of the members see each other, the stereotypical view of us younger members looking at anyone over 40 as boring old f*rts and the the more mature members looking at us as boy racers.

I really do hope we can all bridge these gaps as at the end of the day we are all ENTHUSIASTS about cars, and the people who drive them. I have met people on the V3M who know there particular model down to the thread size of the oil filter, and people here who know how to lower a car still keep the comfortable ride and even improve on it (that's you mike!).

My own viewpoint is that I love the quality and thought that went into designing and making my car. All the modifications I've made could certainly have been period, I would love to get together every possible opitional extra available for the 200 series and put it into Tulip (my 245) and adapt a few from other models. I have to admit I do enjoy driving my car hard at times, but I do it safely, I have the benefit of being in the trade of people who can teach me to do it safely and on 2 wheels, but I think I'll give that a miss Since buying the car 2 years ago I've put over 30k on the clock and never missed an oil change (every 3K).

Anyway I'm babbling, I hope we can all work together and get alot more people actively involved in the VOC, I know alot of poeple on the V3M are talking about joining, they just need that extra push.
tuning_redblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 19:41   #16
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Andi,

If you are going to the Nottingham meet, let me know as I may join you and possible James might come along.

Cheers
Ryan
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 21:32   #17
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuning_redblock
I appear to have sparked off a debate on the V3M and here about how some of the members see each other, the stereotypical view of us younger members looking at anyone over 40 as boring old f*rts and the the more mature members looking at us as boy racers.

I really do hope we can all bridge these gaps as at the end of the day we are all ENTHUSIASTS about cars, and the people who drive them. I have met people on the V3M who know there particular model down to the thread size of the oil filter, and people here who know how to lower a car still keep the comfortable ride and even improve on it (that's you mike!).
How often I wonder how our stereotypical view of me is being well over 40 (56 actually). I still feel young at heart but do find that my body isn't so forgiving nowadays. I try to bridge the gap between "the boring old f*rts and "the boy racers".
I mam enthusiastic about my 240s and am fortunate enough to have a lot of knowledge and experience which I'm only too happy to share with everyone. I intend to remain the oddball individual doing what I want!! I also try to respect everyone elses views. I also believe in actively encouraging younger people with their Volvos and will always try to make my knowledge and help available to them whenever possible. It's nice to see this producing a lot of reaction and there certainly seems a lot of interest amongst the younger people.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:24   #18
barrie013

Its nice to see a bit of heated debate going on...I think its important to remember that 240 GLTs aren't Ferrari 250 GTOs, and my opinion is that I'd rather see two cars made into one, than see them both scrapped or sold to be run into the ground.
My 245 won't have any great changes made to it, but if a set of leather seats come up at some point from a GLT, then I will quite happily fit them. I have found the 2000cc engine in my recent purchase sufficient for my needs, so I'll stick with it.
I'm hopefully going to look at a 945 this afternoon for my wife to use. She finds the 245 a bit old-fashioned. Being very old-fashioned myself, this suits me fine.
I can well remember the debate when people started putting Datsun engines and 5-speed 'boxes in Morris 1000,s. If it keeps the car on the road, then why not ? Its also just as good to see an original car with all the period fittings, well cared for and used daily.
barrie013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 14:38   #19
93240se
VOC Member 3801

Smile Nottngham Section Meet

Andi, thanks for your reply. As far as stimulating debate goes, I'm all for it. We are all enthusiasts of Volvos, It was good meeting you last time you came, also good to meet Ryan at the National & Foggy at last meeting. As I see it there is space for all within the membership & as many as possible should be encouraged to join, after all a lot of chat goes on within the club website set up by older members. I have Emailed Foggy to confirm that we are not Boring Old Farts in the Club !

I am prepared to overlook your recent comment about being made welcome at the section meeting even though you were 4 decades younger than most of us, in fact will be willing to show off my recently acquired bus pass if you are really good !!

Regards, Richard.
93240se is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2006, 15:15   #20
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93240se
I have Emailed Foggy to confirm that we are not Boring Old Farts in the Club !

Regards, Richard.
I'm sure that I am in the 'Boring Old Fart' territory, a fact reinforced every time I ask my teenage daughter to turn down her music(?). {I sound just like me Dad}.

Approaching bus pass county with throttle stuck full open, and eyes wide shut!