Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Battery Maintenance Chargers

Views : 1438

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 19:54   #11
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

Thanks for the comments. I understand the issue of batteries draining and the time it takes to replenish starting load drain. What I dont know is whether I need a specific type

I am seeking guidance on whether I can buy any reasonable solar powered charger and fit it?

I dont have a 240v supply I can use.

Thanks again
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 20:25   #12
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel View Post
I use an Optimate 3. I had it for my motorbikes, but for just keeping the XC90's battery tipped off it's perfect.

That's what's on my XC90 now.

A good quality unit

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 20:29   #13
scbamber

If you don't have mains nearby and aren't likely to use the car for 2-3 months, why don't you take the battery out and use a proper charger (eg CTEK, Optimate etc).

Whatever you do, don't do nothing!
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 23:12   #14
pinballdave

If you think this is just going to be a couple of months with the cars laid up, then just disconnect the earth lead of the battery, and leave it. If the battery isn't capable of holding a charge for a few months without any drain on it, then it's already on it's way out and will need replacing fairly soon.

Once the leads are disconnected, then you'll only need to give the battery a quick top up charge every 3 or 4 months to keep it healthy. So there's no need to worry about buying a charger for a few more months yet.

Now my experience is mostly with older cars, so if anyone knows any reasons why leaving the battery disconnected is a bad idea on recent models, feel free to shout me down.
pinballdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 08:20   #15
green van man
Premier Member

Your problem now is getting anything, with everywhere shut it's mail order so no chance to see and feel before purchase.
Some while ago my trusty battery charger failed, 45 years of service had taken its toll so I went looking. Bloody hell, the prices. Ended up with a Halfords unit for semi reasonable prices that does the job as a charger and intelligent maintenancentre charger for the spare caravan battery . Halfords are still open for click and collect ano will deliver.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 09:12   #16
Dastardly Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballdave View Post
If you think this is just going to be a couple of months with the cars laid up, then just disconnect the earth lead of the battery, and leave it. If the battery isn't capable of holding a charge for a few months without any drain on it, then it's already on it's way out and will need replacing fairly soon.

Once the leads are disconnected, then you'll only need to give the battery a quick top up charge every 3 or 4 months to keep it healthy. So there's no need to worry about buying a charger for a few more months yet.

Now my experience is mostly with older cars, so if anyone knows any reasons why leaving the battery disconnected is a bad idea on recent models, feel free to shout me down.
Disconnecting the battery will help, but the bottom line is SLA batteries last longest when they're regularly charged so while it may happily survive a long period without charge it will ultimately shorten its lifespan, whether it's a new battery or 5 years old.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 14:19   #17
ovlov04v
Just Cruising.

I have looked further at the CTEK and can see why it is often recommended. I am therefore thinking to find a way to use one.
I noted that the sales video says it is safe to use in wet weather and yet they show a 13 amp extension socket being used to connect the charger to the mains and left under the bonnet which I am not sure would be true?
I know only enough about electrics to kill myself

I could set up a feed using a standard 13 amp rcd/elcb protected supply and park close to my shed so that the bonnet is very close to the shed. Then make sure the socket connection is under the bonnet and close the bonnet enough. The extension lead would not be wound round a drum. It is a standalone cable length.

Now I begin to doubt if that is 'safe '. Any advice from electricians out there please ?

One final point.Does the negative go to the chassis earth point or battery terminal?I think because the car has stop/start that it should be to chassis point?
I should also clarify that the car is not being laid up as I might need to use it at any point during the 12 weeks so need to know it will start if required so all the good suggestions around removal etc dont work for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to ovlov04v For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 14:58   #18
scbamber

The suggestion you describe is perfectly safe, simple and do-able. Yes, the normal advice is always to connect the charger's black negative lead to anything metal in the engine bay (some makes have a special point for just that purpose). Connect it after connecting the red lead to the positive terminal on the battery; disconnect the negative lead before the positive lead when you have finished the charging.

The reason for not connecting the black lead directly to the battery terminal but further away is so that any sparks that may occur do not ignite any gases produced by the charging. The risk of gases near the terminal is low (especially with modern sealed batteries that are charged by smart chargers: and any vent tube is usually located some distance away beneath the battery) but it does occasionally happen. CTEK has some way of preventing sparks anyway. It is also said that connecting directly to the negative terminal could briefly upset the battery management module, but that may or may not be true, and may be only a temporary phenomenon

Last edited by scbamber; Apr 4th, 2020 at 15:04.
scbamber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scbamber For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 19:20   #19
gelertd

I have a Ctek MXS10 charger on my 2006 XC70 - using an extension lead from the garage with the extension lead plug and battery charger under the bonnet. The charger connects to the positive connection provided under the bonnet with the negative lead connected to one of the bolts on top of the suspension strut. You just have to site the plug and charger in an area where they don't get crushed when the bonnet is closed. I don't fully close the bonnet, just have it on the safety latch.

The Volvo often doesn't get used for weeks and sometimes months on end particularly in winter so this set up has seen some inclement weather conditions and I've had no problems.

I have another, older model Ctek charger in the garage on my Z3. I'd be happy to recommend Ctek - not the cheapest manufacturer but they seem well made. I did have a couple of cheapo Lidl or Aldi intelligent chargers but they only lasted a couple of years (if that) - that old adage of you get what you pay for....?
gelertd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gelertd For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 19:53   #20
ksmi
Master Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovlov04v View Post
Thanks for the comments. I understand the issue of batteries draining and the time it takes to replenish starting load drain. What I dont know is whether I need a specific type

I am seeking guidance on whether I can buy any reasonable solar powered charger and fit it?

I dont have a 240v supply I can use.

Thanks again
Evening Ovlov, Try Photonic Universe,they are doing a kit, Solar panel,trickle charge 5w/12v @ £36.99 delivered,looks interesting,do lots of others.Worth a browse?

Kind Regards.

Keith.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post: