Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Santander PCP - Word of warning.!

Views : 1583

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2020, 09:24   #11
Sotosound
Premier Member

The AA or RAC or even Honest John might be able to offer some help.

Many years ago, I put a deposit down on a 1996 used Nissan QX and signed the order form.

Then I found out that the car was actually a 1995 vehicle, so I refused to buy it.

I couldn't prove that the model year was not as advised, however, so the dealer pushed me to buy the car on the basis that I'd already signed a commitment to do so.

So I contacted the AA.

They told me that, in reality, if I sacrificed my deposit - which was small - then all that the dealer could really come after me for was any difference between what I was going to pay for the car and what a subsequent customer ended up paying for the car.

Since they had my deposit already, and since I'd also knocked them down on price, there was a chance that any other customer would actually pay more and the car would yield a bigger profit. Therefore, there was little chance of the dealer losing out.

And that's where it ended. I lost my small deposit and walked away.

Had I not sought advice, however, then I'd have had to buy a car that I didn't want.
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 10:15   #12
Cull06
Master Member

Thanks for the replies all. I’m planning to see what Volvo UK say. I have legal cover via RAC which includes vehicle purchase so that will be me final option. I REALLY don’t want to have to start a protracted legal case over a car but am starting to see no other option.

Own outright vs pcp. I’ve always owned outright but thought I would pcp this for the first time ever and then purchase outright after the pcp expired. Fail. And yet I was definitely told by a couple of people beforehand that pcp would be better in this sort of situation because the pcp provider as owner of the vehicle would have my back! Also fail.

Santander have dealt with me each time I’ve spoken with them as if they are only protecting their business from me. When all I wanted is a bit of backing to get the car sorted. It’s the fact that they are still demanding money for their car that I don’t have which really grates me.

Lesson learnt I guess.

I will let you guys know what Volvo UK say anyway.

Cheers all.
Cull06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cull06 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 13:59   #13
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Something I don't understand here is why Santander are not offering assistance because the car was recovered to a dealership other than the supplying dealer, making Cull06 possibly liable for the cost of repairs. I was always under the impression you could take your car to any authorised Volvo workshop for warranty and repairs regardless of how or who finances the vehicle. I also have my car finance with Santander, so if I breakdown in the North of the country the car has to be recovered back down South to my local dealer before any work can be carried out, or I might be having to foot the bill due to 'tinkering'. Or am I completely wrong?
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 14:45   #14
Cull06
Master Member

That’s what they have said to me pal. I have asked them to clarify this because to me it is completely mental. But yes it’s exactly as you understand it. They’ve “closed the file” now. T**ts.

The word they used was ‘interfere’ with the vehicle. So yeah worth checking that with them if you do find yourself in this position or having the car recovered, or seemingly taking the car to any dealer other than where you purchased it for any work at all!

Last edited by Cull06; Apr 1st, 2020 at 15:15.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cull06 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 18:04   #15
Dastardly Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
No, take you to the cleaners via the courts because you owe them money. You then have to counter sue them because you do not have use of the car. Guess who's pockets are deeper when it comes to court cases.

They do not want the car, they are a money house, they want the money you agreed to pay them, don't pay them and CCJs and debt collectors will be the next step.
They can threaten debt collectors all they like. Only court appointed bailiffs can do anything substantive.

I'd let them take it to court, and have done in not dissimilar circumstances (a computer that never worked properly and finance company persistently failed to assist with it after the vendor failed to resolve it), so I stopped paying), and won. It's a contract, not a suicide pact, and it is binding upon them to provide the contracted goods or services. Let them show the court the clause that gives them the right to continue to charge the customer when when are no longer providing the contracted service to them. They can't, because there isn't one.

Depth of pockets is irrelevant. The moment it gets to a court room its facts that hold weight, not bank balances, and a pallet full of gold bars makes zero difference. Fact here is they are arguably not providing the goods or services they have contracted to, and despite being asked to remedy the situation they have failed to do so, yet are still taking payment. I've taken my chance before on that and won, and I'd do so again

No need to counter sue. Let them spend the money and effort getting the matter to a court, and present your losses to the court for their consideration. Once the court have found in your favour then recovering losses a d compensation becomes pro forma.

Last edited by Dastardly Diesel; Apr 1st, 2020 at 18:09.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dastardly Diesel For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 22:10   #16
AndyJudge
Premier Member

Something sounds decidedly strange here.

You say the car is new so the warranty would be via Volvo UK & any dealer would recoup the costs of repair from them.

What was the nature of the failure, only reason I could see Volvo UK washing their hands of any responsibility would be in the event of a major failure that's been caused by either a customer issue or supplying dealer negligence.

If you purchase a car from Car-Wow or the like the dealer could be anywhere in the country & you'd not be expected to return it to the supplying dealer for work under warranty.
Previous 2001 C70 T5 GT Auto Convertible - Saffron
Previous 1999 S40 XS - Silver
AndyJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyJudge For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 22:24   #17
GMcL
0's and 1's

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJudge View Post
Something sounds decidedly strange here.
Exactly, the warranty is the warranty.

If you buy the car in Inverness and it has a breakdown in Brighton, the Volvo approved workshop in Brighton is authorised to fix it, as is the Volvo approved workshop in Malmo if you happen to be on holiday. None of this is tampering, they've signed contracts with the manufacturer to maintain standards.

Santander cannot close an issue on their say so. Refer them to the financial ombudsman, the issue has not been resolved. They've closed the ticket because their own internal service/help desk deadline date is near.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2020, 23:25   #18
roundyuk

To be honest Santander are never going to get involved, it’s a PCP not contract hire. The contract of purchase is between you and the supplying dealer, they just funded it (which indirectly means they technically own it, but you are responsible for paying for it, you could just stop paying and let them repossess it, but then you have a bad mark).

Regarding a vehicle which has broken down, if it’s recovered to a garage that isn’t an authorised dealer and work is completed then I can see a potential issue; but if they are an authorised Volvo service agent zero problem, period.

Same goes for if you want to reject the car, it’s not an issue for Santander to get involved in, and I doubt they will. If you want to reject or get a refund this would have to be through the supplying dealer.
Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 00:12   #19
Cull06
Master Member

It was indeed purchased via Carwow.

Pcp v contract hire. So I was of the understanding that I would reject the vehicle to Santander. Santander indeed own the vehicle. They even have the invoice for it.

Definitely no driver error I’m aware of lol!! Car just started rattling one day when I was driving uphill. I heard something drop out or a clunk noise. Rattling started immediately. The dealer later said they reckon it to be pinking/pinging. (I had to google what that was tbh). Plus after the second time I collected it - the car simply broke down. Had to be put on a loader as it was undriveable.

Volvo UK haven’t said they won’t cover the repair costs. I’m waiting to hear back from Volvo UK.

It’s Santander who have told me that the dealer can charge for repairs because it wasn’t taken to the supplying dealer. It’s Santander who have told me I have no right to reject for this reason.

Annoyed with Volvo for supplying a duff car. But that happens I guess. So long as they rectify it.

My beef is with Santander.

Will see what Volvo UK have to say. Otherwise yeah I get the solicitors involved because it’s not right me paying monthly for a car I don’t have.

Don’t fancy Being financially blacklisted if I were to stop the direct debit. Will take the legal advice on that first.

Appreciate the thoughts and advice guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cull06 For This Useful Post: