Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Roof bar torque socket.

Views : 2154

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2020, 13:58   #1
Sadowner

Default Roof bar torque socket.

Hi bought second hand roof bars. Just tried to undo bar retaining bolts and torque socket split. So unable to take off roof bars. Parts number for socket is 8698556. Could only find 1 on auction site for £48. I’m a bit reluctant to buy as I’ve only used the socket once to put the bars on. I don’t know how often the previous owner used it. It is a triangle shaped socket. Any ideas if there’s anything better I can use or would It be advisable to get Volvo one. Thanks in advance.
Sadowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 09:19   #2
green van man
Premier Member

You need to know what size torque socket it is then look on the Halford site or similar and do a click and collect.

Buy the preffesional range and it comes with a lifetime garentee which I have never had a problem getting broken tools replaced on.
As a guide I bought a set of Alan key sockets, 6 on a rail for £15.

If you want longer ones then a set of torque keys is available.

If the volvo one broke I would look elswhere anyway .

If I remember correctly the volvo bars are made by Thule anyway.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 10:37   #3
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Not familiar with those roof bars but checking that part number and googling around a bit.-
I'm not clear why you refer to it as a Torque socket, did you mean Torx? either way it's not Torx it's a triangular headed bolt, ebay does have some triangular sockets set of 5 for a third of the price.
I apppreciate people want to be sure their roof bars are secure against theft hence the use of an unconventional bolt head, but when anyone can go online and buy a tool it becomes pointless, if it were me I'd get the ebay sockets, remove the weird triangular headed bolts and replace them with something more normal which you can get a decent quality tool/key for, when I swapped the roof rails onto my V70 I ditched the rusted Volvo bolts and bought stainless steel button head socket screws from ebay, if I ever need to change them it's just a regular allen key.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2020, 13:44   #4
Sadowner

The bolt head that clamps the roof bars on is triangular in shape. The Volvo socket only tightens to 2NM. Then the ratchet mechanism slips so you can’t over tighten the clamp bolts. It is made of flimsy material, which is way I’m reluctant to spend the best part of £49 on something that might shear the first time I use it. Looking on line, there seems to be keys used on fuse board cupboards that come in this shape. They look like oversized radiator bleed keys. I will see if I can find a couple to see what size the bolt head is. And how solid they will be. Thanks for replies.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sadowner For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 09:22   #5
minibull
VOC Member

Is the triangle shaped socket similar in size to utility meter box keys?
minibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 09:29   #6
green van man
Premier Member

Boche fuel pumps have triangular headed bolts a set of 3 sockets in various sizes with half inch drive is available on the bay for a tenner.

I use them in work for another perpose on a small rattle guns and in 8 months of daily use no problems.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 09:42   #7
minibull
VOC Member

Laser also do sets of 5 triangle sockets, 8mm to 16.5mm, on ebay around £20.
minibull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 10:07   #8
37 RUBY
Master Member

Hello

Bearing in mind only 2nm is the tightening torque, why not swap the bolts for these

Then purchase the relevant security torx key such as these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/28300556419...8459aeffdf8cb9

I've got a set of Thule made Volvo bars and they use the type of bolts in the image and a security torx bit wedged into a plastic handle to give an estimated 8nm of torque.
Here it is....
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2020, 21:15   #9
Sadowner

Thanks for replies. Did come across various keys on internet. While I have some time on my hands, decided to try and make a socket up and fit it to existing ratchet. It probably won’t look great but it will get me out of the house and into the garage. Thanks again all. Keep safe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sadowner For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2020, 04:37   #10
happy diver
Active Member Moment

Good job

20,000 leagues under the sea diving to adventure
in a silent world with my ceiling the waves...Emile
happy diver is offline   Reply With Quote