Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Door switch V70 2008

Views : 1156

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2020, 17:36   #1
V70JB

Unhappy Door switch V70 2008

Hi

I have some problems with the door switch / sensor in the front left hand door (drivers door) of a Volvo V70 III (2008). It has for a while indicated that the door was o⁷pen while driving and it has then helped by opening and closing the door but this now does not solve the problem anymore. It can not be allowed to lock the car anymore with the key fob and central locking.
Are there any who have a god idea for how to troubleshoot the problem and what might need changing? I have changed the door lock assembly with a used part. It helped for a week and then things started slowly to misfunction again.

Regards Jens

Last edited by V70JB; Aug 11th, 2020 at 18:15.
V70JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 18:41   #2
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The first action is what a Volvo dealer would do; put the car on the VIDA/DiCE diagnostic system. You can buy your own for about €70 if you have a laptop upon which to run it. It should tell you what is causing the fault and what action is necessary to correct it. Failing that, take it to a dealer but if you like to do your own maintenance, having a VIDA/DiCE diagnostics kit is the first thing you need to do.
Old Aug 11th, 2020, 22:06   #3
MariusM

It seems we have a similar or same fault with the same (V70 2008) car.
Mine finally (sometimes did not properly lock before) failed last night, I've just bought electric motors. Now I'm looking how to lock tailgate when central locking is not working.
Good luck!
MariusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 07:15   #4
V70JB

I have seen volvosweden on youtube showing that these could cause problems.
But I think it is not the motors, because that the door open signal is given and the cab and floor light is on all the time.
Last night I tried to find a broken wire in the wire harness with my tool. But can not find any wire broken.
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 08:18   #5
MariusM

I also do have cab and floor light on. It goes off when door locked with a key after a dozen seconds or so. But previous night I had to drive with floor lights on, lol!

When the door is open and I move the latch in the door to second lock position door sends the signal 'door closed' so I suspect maybe something is misaligned or sticky... hmm... Maybe the little spring inside the lock fell off. (https://youtu.be/vIZmJFqoDKk?t=922)

I will update if I find anything.

P.S. I wonder how to lock the tailgate without the key fob working!

Last edited by MariusM; Aug 12th, 2020 at 08:21.
Old Aug 15th, 2020, 20:02   #6
V70JB

My spring is in right place, and it is still not working.
My thoughts was the small switch. But that is not the problem either. I think it is a broke wire om the car side. I have used my meter on the door harness.
But if you have any luck with changing the motors, then please let me Know 🙂
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 05:53   #7
MariusM

I have taken apart the door. Spring was still in place. As I already had motors and have opened internal lock I have changed both motors. Although pretty sure old ones are OK. Unfortunately job was taking longer than expected and I have rushed things a bit. Not sure if I have properly aligned as at this time in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIZm...youtu.be&t=980

I've noticed that some metal springs / parts where corroded. I have sprayed / greased them.
After putting the door together same fault persisted. But a few hours later central locking worked when I have had the car parked at work. Unfortunately when started and driving home 'door open' message has been on the dashboard again. Still I have managed to lock the car with the keyfob again, although only after first pressing 'open' button when the door was open. I will see if it's going to start working or if I need to take the door apart again. Painful procedure!

The thing is when locking with the key fob does not work, when pressing 'open' on the fob I can here locks in both doors on the passenger side, but both on drivers side are quiet. However, when I move the lock's latch (when door is open) to 2nd position with a finger or a screwdriver, after pressing 'open' on the keyfob I can here locks in all doors. I wonder If it's also the same with your car. After moving the latch remember to 'open' with internal handle (might need double pull) before shutting the door

I will keep updating.
Old Aug 16th, 2020, 16:24   #8
MariusM

Today I've tried open/close button on drivers door when door open and it was engaging all doors. Closed the door and button did not work. So I've started to suspect broken wire.

I have locked 3 doors from the inside pressing pins,
- pressed key fob close/lock button but car did not respond
- locked drivers door with the key
- tried key fob close/lock and all doors responded and whole car armed and locked.
Old Aug 21st, 2020, 19:20   #9
V70JB

Wen pressing key fob open all my doors are responding.
But I do not see the light flashing. I will try your trick with the 3 pins manual locked ..... but as you I think it is a wire problem. Not in the door harness but on the car side.
Old Aug 27th, 2020, 15:25   #10
MariusM

3 pin trick was only a misleading coincidence.
What happened is the wire between the door and car body was broken. When closing the door. it got disconnected and there was no power to door. When I opened the door buttons on the door were lit up - wire met it's ends. Sometimes when closing it stayed like that. Thus, to test it, check at night whether buttons on the door for windows etc are lit up in all door positions.
I took the door off (1 screw and 2 bolts), and reconnected the wire. Now OK.
Especially during the winter locking was a bit stiff and this led me to think problem is directly related to the lock itself. During the first repair attempt I took it out I found some springs where corroded. I have used a universal oil spray and silicon and now it's working smoothly.
If the lock is stiff somewhere, quick fix (and prevention) might be possible. There are 2 draining holes at the bottom of the door. Might be a good idea to spray through them something like WD40 and silicon/PTFE. Lock / unlock doors a few times immediately after spraying to help penetration.

Last edited by MariusM; Aug 27th, 2020 at 15:28.