Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Petrol & Diesel Tuning Chips

Views : 6070

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2011, 21:26   #21
wingz123

Exclamation

Hi Mike,

ooooh I'm going to play safe and would advise against running two at the same time purely because I'm not sure if they would both work together - going to be honest.

With regards to what bhp your likely to see I estimate somewhere in the region 0f 207bhp.

The 185bhp models are likely to reach 235bhp

and the 130bhp engines are likely to reach 165bhp

On to the next question...

The 'Power' dial sets power and torque produced by the engine whilst the 'Low/Medium' dial sets up the Low/Medium power and torque release between the low-medium rpm range.

As far as a picture goes, I'd like to hold of displaying this just yet. As mentioned the Ebay Shop is due to go live shortly and I am having professional photo's taken with my corporate logo on. I will happily share this on the forum once these have been uploaded.

Thanks,

James

1995 Volvo 850 GLT TDi (OBD2)
wingz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 21:32   #22
wingz123

Essentially its finding the right (optimum) power setting and best (most efficient) method of delivering the power..

Power - Power dial
Best way to deliver - Low/Medium dial

Thanks,

Old Nov 14th, 2011, 21:36   #23
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

i was only jesting about running them both together
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 22:36   #24
Spike1918
Looney

So, am I correct? Are these so called `chips` (in the case of those for the petrol engined car) merely a resistor, tricking the ECU to give full advance on the ignition?
The air temperature probe on the ducting from the air cleaner housing would seem to be the point at which a device such as this would be fitted.

Volvo S70 SE auto 1998 vintage
Spike1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2011, 22:50   #25
wingz123

Exclamation

Hi Mincehead,

I would disagree with the word 'tricked' as there is no deception...i.e you are not bypassing anything. As mentioned in my thread on here - the parameters (set by the manufacturer are not altered in any way, shape or form)

The tuning module and ECU both work hand in hand together.

Have a read of this - I'm sure you've probably already read it anyway...
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=138720

Hopefully this will answer any other questions you may have,

Thanks,

James

Old Nov 15th, 2011, 00:33   #26
Spike1918
Looney

So, what you are saying is that these modules (basically just a variable resistance device), can be manipulated to alter the signals the ECU receives?
The ECU gathers data from the peripheral sensing devices and constantly adjusts fuelling and igniton advance / retard, you are simply putting something `inbetween` those peripheral sensors to alter the signals to the ECU yes?
I`m both a car driver and a motorcyle rider, trained vehicle fitter (qualified working on Austin / Daimler and later after a dealership change, Citroen). So, I can fully understand what your module will likely do.
I can also see how you are marketing your module but in my experience folk who have more power tend to use more power more often, this will of course lead to more fuel being used.
Now, if you are lightening your vehicle or changing the gearing, perhaps TRUE gains could be seen but I`m somewhat sceptical that your device is merely another plug in / bolt on gadget.
It will be very interesting to see dyno results, I`ll hold fire on any further scepticism about your product until I`ve seen some published results to substantiate the claims.
A 20 pence resistor can help in achieving power gains (especially in air temperature sensors) as many cars ECU`s can be manipulated in this way. It rarely helps anyone achieve lower fuel consumption figures though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spike1918 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2011, 10:45   #27
Spike1918
Looney

Here`s one on EvilBay that includes a dyno graph (for diesels only by the look of it):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Performanc...item27be19391a

Old Nov 17th, 2011, 19:49   #28
longyear
(52) V70 D5 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
is this a box that is placed inline with the fuel rail or is it a custom map that is downloaded via the obd port.
thanks
mike
It's a physical box, inline with the fuel rail.

I have one from a different manufacturer. There is no doubting the performance increase, and also I've had no limp modes or other apparant issues, but I have removed mine now because I am running a 'stock' D5 intercooler, and I believe these are insufficient to handle any increased power (remap or tuning box).

With something like a TWR FMIC I wouldn't hesitate to put the box back on.

There is a lot of scaremongering about these boxes but in the most, I believe that if the car is serviced regularly, in most cases they won't cause problems. (Perhaps unless the car is thrashed constantly... but doesn't that apply to a 'stock' car too?).
longyear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longyear For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2011, 21:29   #29
craigblues
VOC Member

I've always and continue to be skeptical on tuning boxes as they are just continually trying to trick the car, its not its normal process. A remap or tune is different.

Hmmm, unsure about these.
craigblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2011, 08:58   #30
wingz123

Exclamation

thank you longyear....

Just to keep you all up-to-date with things....recieved my tracking order so tuning boxes should be with me shortly,

Will let you know once arrived,

thanks,

James