Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 Polestar - 451bhp

Views : 2313

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2018, 17:13   #1
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Default C30 Polestar - 451bhp

According to the Polestar guy in the below video, this C30 is knocking out 451bhp. Engine bay looks surprisingly standard given the power... Makes me wonder how many unnecessary aftermarket parts are floating around for these T5s? I know this is running a K16 turbo though.

Any other T5 owners with mods have an engine bay looking like this? Very interested in upping the power on my motor, but I don't want a ridiculous looking engine bay.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 17:23   #2
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Nice achievement. Cant listen to vid now, but would like to know what else is done there.
Engine bay looks pretty normal for most modded cars - CAI with modified OTE pipe and I think ECU on bracket ? Maybe different throttle body? I think its just not flashy painted without rainbow coloured silicone hoses nor highly polished inlets. very clean though so I reckon its just not "looks standard with hidden surprised" though?
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 18:32   #3
don kalmar union
Trader

Default 'p*'

That car was fitted with an engine from a Focus RS.

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to don kalmar union For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 19:34   #4
Markos01

There's a couple of guys on the Volvo C30 Crew UK facebook group running big power on their C30 T5s, one with 390bhp, one with 450bhp (which is now for sale). Not entirely sure what their specs are but assume they change plenum chamber, turbo, intercooler, exhaust, clutch, injectors plus various other things and various maps and RR sessions I guess. The impression I get is that to go above 325bhp means quite serious mods and a lot of effort to get everything working properly, and it sounds like that brings with it plenty of testing times...

Last edited by Markos01; Oct 31st, 2018 at 19:45.
Markos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 19:44   #5
Markos01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markos01 View Post
There's a couple of guys on the Volvo C30 Crew UK facebook group running big power on their C30 T5s, one with 390bhp, one with 450bhp (which is now for sale). Not entirey sure what their specs are but assume they change plenum chamber, turbo, intercooler, exhaust, clutch, injectors plus various other things and various maps and RR sessions I guess. The impression I get is that to go above 325bhp means quite serious mods and a lot of effort to get everything working properly, and it sounds like that brimgs with it plenty of testing times...
Found the spec of the 390bhp one:

Bigger turbo (T36)
Sports actuator
Huge intercooler
Uprated injectors
Was meth injected now removed
Uprated plenum
Tuned to a fast focus rs spec
Quaiffe diff
6 paddle clutch
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 20:45   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

This is the first, and best one from 2006 …

https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...sreleases/5170
Old Nov 1st, 2018, 16:33   #7
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
That car was fitted with an engine from a Focus RS.

Don.
Well, then fair play for keeping the engine very volvo-ish as indeed looks almost brand stock and not flashy
just wondering though, why to bother swapping whole engine instead of turbo and components? RS has forged internals?
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 08:20   #8
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Well, then fair play for keeping the engine very volvo-ish as indeed looks almost brand stock and not flashy
just wondering though, why to bother swapping whole engine instead of turbo and components? RS has forged internals?
Yes, RS has forged internals. Why would they fit a big standard T5 engine then split it apart when you can fit the RS T5 from the beginning and be done with it?

Most mods don't add much to the engine bay, injectors aren't really visible and even then, only the colour of each cap will be different. Intercooler is hidden behind bumper, exhausts are hidden behind engine. Diff and clutch, hidden, bigger turbo, hidden...

Unless you go for bling hoses there's very little to show.
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 10:35   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Yes, RS has forged internals. Why would they fit a big standard T5 engine then split it apart when you can fit the RS T5 from the beginning and be done with it?

Most mods don't add much to the engine bay, injectors aren't really visible and even then, only the colour of each cap will be different. Intercooler is hidden behind bumper, exhausts are hidden behind engine. Diff and clutch, hidden, bigger turbo, hidden...

Unless you go for bling hoses there's very little to show.
The RS is the Volvo T5 which has the forged crank as standard ...
Old Nov 2nd, 2018, 10:45   #10
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
The RS is the Volvo T5 which has the forged crank as standard ...
I thought the ST was the Volvo T5?

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote