Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2027767

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2021, 06:18   #2251
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Something in the back of my mind said it's a cork gasket Alan, not sure as i think the 740s i had used a sort of rubber gasket instead. I wonder if Volvo changed it?
I don't think a cork gasket would work Dave - because it has to go over the camshaft seal hump at one end and then turn almost 90 degrees on both sides. I'm pretty sure it was thickish cardboard, I'll check in the spares box today. If there was a rubber one (on the 740?) I'd buy one - it is an easy job but I don't want to be doing it every year.

I can't find a torque setting for the nuts in any of the books, the consensus seems to be: snug plus 1/4 turn. This chap did a very detailed write up (on a pretty simple job) and doesn't mention it either:

http://volvo940restoration.blogspot.com/

Alan
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 07:45   #2252
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've only ever seen paper type gaskets for the rocker cover.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 10:37   #2253
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I don't think a cork gasket would work Dave - because it has to go over the camshaft seal hump at one end and then turn almost 90 degrees on both sides. I'm pretty sure it was thickish cardboard, I'll check in the spares box today. If there was a rubber one (on the 740?) I'd buy one - it is an easy job but I don't want to be doing it every year.

I can't find a torque setting for the nuts in any of the books, the consensus seems to be: snug plus 1/4 turn. This chap did a very detailed write up (on a pretty simple job) and doesn't mention it either:

http://volvo940restoration.blogspot.com/

Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
I've only ever seen paper type gaskets for the rocker cover.
Maybe i'm thinking of a different engine.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 11:22   #2254
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Maybe i'm thinking of a different engine.
Bentley 6 3/4 haha, god they were horrible to fit. In the turbo R you had to dismantle the top of the engine to get the rocker covers off!
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 11:55   #2255
Othen
Premier Member

Default Taxing a Vehicle Over 40 Years Old

Readers may recall that the RB will qualify as an historic car, and therefore be exempt from VED, on 1 April this year (which will be nice). It became MoT exempt in October last year, its last MoT expired in January.

The DVLA (bless their cotton socks) wrote to me in January saying the tax would expire (I pay by monthly direct debit) at the end of February. I wondered how I would pay the tax for the final 2 months and wrote to DVLA to ask - without getting a sensible answer of course.

Well, the tax ran out, I kept using the RB - with a copy of my letter to DVLA in the glove box just in case the police stopped me (unlikely I know, but I would never knowingly break the law). I really didn't want to pay for another MoT as a matter of principle (I am absolutely certain the RB would pass with no problems) and I saw no reason why I should SORN the car for 2 months, but I didn't want to transgress.

Still confused by DVLA's lack of direction I thought I'd have a go at taxing the motor car again via DVLA's website - and much to my delight I found DVLA had a software fix for 40 year old cars that had not yet qualified for historic vehicle registration (but had not advertised that anywhere).

So, the answer is this (on the off chance that someone else should have to tax a car in the same unusual circumstances): wait for the old tax to expire (as mine did on 31 January), then fill in the tax application on the DVLA website as normal - an extra page will appear during the process saying words to the effect that 'DVLA recognised the car is over 40 years old and not liable for a MoT, so tick here if you promise your car has not been substantially modified and is roadworthy'... then pay the money (by monthly direct debit) and Robert is your mother's brother. Unfortunately I didn't take a screen shot of the extra page.

I was really impressed that the DVLA knew of the issue and had already fixed it, but I'd have been even happier if it had publicised it.

:-)
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 11:56   #2256
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Bentley 6 3/4 haha, god they were horrible to fit. In the turbo R you had to dismantle the top of the engine to get the rocker covers off!
I was thinking more along the lines of the Ford Pinto engine, they used cork gaskets and they had a dovetail join in on the back end. The front end was wider to cope with going over the front cam bearings and was more or less a right angle where it levelled out onto the rest of the head :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rocker-Th...Z/183933935628

You'll see what i mean in that listing. Had a quick look for Volvo ones, all appear to be paper so maybe a thicker paper one would work better. Might have to DIY though!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 12:00   #2257
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of the Ford Pinto engine, they used cork gaskets and they had a dovetail join in on the back end. The front end was wider to cope with going over the front cam bearings and was more or less a right angle where it levelled out onto the rest of the head :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rocker-Th...Z/183933935628

You'll see what i mean in that listing. Had a quick look for Volvo ones, all appear to be paper so maybe a thicker paper one would work better. Might have to DIY though!
I was thinking that if I can't get a standard paper gasket to seal up properly on my 40 year old engine that I might have to make a thicker one myself.

I'll have a go at your first idea (loosening all the bolts and then tightening them all down again in order) this morn and see if that works first.

Alan
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 12:10   #2258
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I was thinking that if I can't get a standard paper gasket to seal up properly on my 40 year old engine that I might have to make a thicker one myself.

I'll have a go at your first idea (loosening all the bolts and then tightening them all down again in order) this morn and see if that works first.

Alan
Good thinking - don't forget to check/clean the PCV system in case that's causing excess pressure too.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 12:28   #2259
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Just a thought on the cambox gasket: is the cambox lid true? Although the metal is substantial (unlike a certain other company's slant-4 of my acquaintance) might it be slightly distorted and in need of gentle "fettling"?

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2021, 13:00   #2260
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Good thinking - don't forget to check/clean the PCV system in case that's causing excess pressure too.
That all seems fine Dave, I blew it through from the flame trap and it is clear.