Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

£3.00 charge to enter ULEZ zone for ALL cars

Views : 4555

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 1st, 2021, 13:43   #11
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloran View Post
Indeed. But there was an assumption in Wagon Sailor's reply that road pricing restricts freedom to the rich, which is what I was responding to.
We've structured society to build reliance on private transport by making public transport so utterly bobbins and expensive/difficult to access. If the proposed charge is indeed going to TfL to improve public transport it seems fair to me.
which is exactly what it does
if "pay EXTRA to go somewhere" on top of the "road tax" , the "fuel tax" the "insurance tax" "VAT on new cars" "increased road tax on brand new cars" doesn't affect you then your rich enough to not care, while the Rest suffer.

clearly you believe Everything Every politician says,, help yourself to an Ignore on the way out as you ARE part of the problem
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 21:39   #12
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Movement isn't free. It's really only the last 100 years where people have been freely moving around the country, and the last 50 where the majority have been doing that in private transport. Society sees it as a purely positive thing - live where you want, work where you want, go where you want, see who you want, and do all that when you want. The externalities are huge - car production and storage, fuel production, transport, and storage. As is the opportunity cost - if you didn't run a car could you work less, or spend the money on something else that's more beneficial to you? It's a not insignificant amount - powered private transport is a regressive tax on the poor but seen as essential as a phone contract or entertainment subscriptions. If you're on £10 an hour you're spending on average around 20 hours pay per month (pre-tax) on running a car.
Whatever you have been smoking - I'd love to try some of that!!
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 21:47   #13
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Movement isn't free. It's really only the last 100 years where people have been freely moving around the country, and the last 50 where the majority have been doing that in private transport. Society sees it as a purely positive thing - live where you want, work where you want, go where you want, see who you want, and do all that when you want. The externalities are huge - car production and storage, fuel production, transport, and storage. As is the opportunity cost - if you didn't run a car could you work less, or spend the money on something else that's more beneficial to you? It's a not insignificant amount - powered private transport is a regressive tax on the poor but seen as essential as a phone contract or entertainment subscriptions. If you're on £10 an hour you're spending on average around 20 hours pay per month (pre-tax) on running a car.
Oh i see. It’s all the pesky people driving on a commute etc that should pay!

I work from home so presumably I am ok?
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 22:20   #14
george57l
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD1 View Post
Its floating around on the net that Suckdick kant (The mayor) is bringing in this charge and that will be on top of ANY UlEZ and Congestion if applicable . Does not matter what car . Its to help Transport for london who are bust !
LT is bust because of loss of revenue in 2020 during lockdown. The Mayor went to the govt for some interim assistance / relaxation of its financing rules, and the govt imposed draconian new financial restrictions (basically, Boris taking revenge) that it very notably did not impose on other public transport systems. So if you want to blame someone, blame Boris. FYI part of the government's terms were that LT must extend the congestion charge.

So instead of ad hominen attacks on the Mayor, which are neither clever or funny, but just plain offensive, perhaps do some research.

https://www.london.gov.uk/tfl/tfl-fu...icking-plaster

Last edited by george57l; Dec 1st, 2021 at 23:14.
george57l is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to george57l For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 22:36   #15
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by george57l View Post
LT is bust because of loss of revenue in 2020 during lockdown. The Mayor went to the govt for some interim assistance / relaxation of its financing rules, and the govt imposed draconian new financial restrictions (basically, Boris taking revenge) that it very notably did not impose on other public transport systems. So if you want to blame someone, blame Boris. FYI part of the governments terms were that LT must extend the congestion charge.

So instead of ad hominen attacks on the Mayor, which are neither clever or funny, but just plain offensive, perhaps do some research.

https://www.london.gov.uk/tfl/tfl-fu...icking-plaster
Yes they had a cash crisis but You telling me the **** deserves any respect for what he has done to London in his time as mayor ? if you are offended . stay inside and continue knitting Denial jumpers .
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 22:52   #16
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

The London Mayor is not very good.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 23:01   #17
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
The London Mayor is not very good.
He has his obvious lovers..... The man is a complete Joke.The roads are now worse due to his pathetic cycle lanes. Islington is almost no go. he has done little about blacks killing each other .And did little to stop the BLM lot from smashing the place up. He is a token gesture Mayor who was a ex rubbish lawyer working out of Museum street .
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 23:14   #18
george57l
George

See those goalposts? They were over there just now. Are you now trying to develop this into a generalised hate thread against the London Mayor?
Before you do, let me at least thank you for partly acknowledging they did have a cash crisis, though I note you moved swiftly on in order to avoid having to admit it was not all the Mayor's fault. And I was not telling you anything else, so your question is moot.
The Following User Says Thank You to george57l For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 23:23   #19
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by george57l View Post
See those goalposts? They were over there just now. Are you now trying to develop this into a generalised hate thread against the London Mayor?
Before you do, let me at least thank you for partly acknowledging they did have a cash crisis, though I note you moved swiftly on in order to avoid having to admit it was not all the Mayor's fault. And I was not telling you anything else, so your question is moot.
What goal posts ? He has allowed the greedy unions to run riot and cause havoc for people trying to get home/work etc .If he wanted to help TFL etc , he would bin all the £56k a year drivers and get new people in at £26k .Thousands of nurses might fancy a better paid job. But no..... he just wastes money then wants to charge the people more for what they have already paid for . The Congestion is now just as bad as it was years ago. except now the fumes are probably worse as we are all stuck going nowhere . and as for 20 mph , just teach people not to step out and how to cross roads better ! Then they wont get run over and traffic can move around a lot quicker .
Old Dec 1st, 2021, 23:47   #20
george57l
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD1 View Post
What goal posts ?
The goal posts that you put in place to take a swing at LT and the congestion zone being extended (fair enough, this is a 'Volvo and General Motoring Discussions' forum) and then - when it was pointed out what had in fact happened to cause that - that you then immediately moved to be just about your dislike of the London Mayor more generally (and not appropriate for a 'Volvo and General Motoring Discussions' thread).

Those goal posts. The ones you moved when someone called you out with some facts to counter your assumption that an extension of the congestion charge was the Mayor's fault, providing a citation that it was as much the doing of the govt and Boris taking revenge on LT and a Mayor he detests.

I hope you can see which goal posts now.

And if you'd actually read the link I provided you might be a bit more circumspect about continuing to claim that the Mayor "then wants to charge the people more for what they have already paid for" - he has no choice, the govt has predetermined this as part of the conditions for helping LT with its financial problems. But you ignore that and continue your tired and inaccurate rant.

Goodnight.

Last edited by george57l; Dec 1st, 2021 at 23:53.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to george57l For This Useful Post: