Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Anyone rejected a S/H car from a dealer and how did it go ?

Views : 1785

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2021, 11:09   #11
kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD1 View Post
True...But I think the guy maybe had no idea of the issues . Its hard to tell . Sometimes we just have to accept things and move forward offering peace to the world
Plenty of times things just don't show up on a test drive and can easily catch a trader out. With my V70 the gearbox issue only presented itself after hitting traffic following a long cruise, it was fine around town.

And my current Mk4 Golf runabout was cutting out after around an hour driving - faulty EGR valve in that case and £25 to fix.

Neither of those showed up on hard and extensive test drives and I've bought and sold a ton of cars over the years. Admittedly towards the lower end of the market but you're more likely to find issues there.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 11:09   #12
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Yes, rejected a nearly new Peugeot 3008 about 13 years ago that I'd bought for Mrs Familyman.

Within a few weeks turbo had gone, drivers seat had broken, massive pile leqk from cam cover, loads of other stuff that the mists of time now conceal from my memory. They fixed it all pretty quickly, but by then id had enough and had been unable to successfully complete a single out of town journey, so I put them on formal notice that if anything else failed in short order I would reject it.

And a few days later the drivers seat broke while we were swapping drivers, so neither myself or Mrs Familyman were able the then drive it and we were standed 120 miles from home.

The salesman was very supportive, but his managers less so. Nevertheless, it was clearly not of merchantable quality and unfit for purpose, I was able to reject it and they provided me with a near identical model with slightly less miles for the same price - fortunately the replacement was perfect and did excellent service until we replaced it with an XC90 of her own.

This was all in days of yore when the Sale of Goods Act applied. The Consumer Rights Act is broadly similar and actually gives greater protection up to 6 months, but it quickly gets sticky after that milestone has passed when the onus passes to the seller to prove the fault was present or developing at the point of sale (up to 6 months the lefal presumption is that it was).

To muddy the waters further, on an older car that might only cost a grand or so the measure is against what might be considered reasonable for a car that had aged or accrued mileage to devalue to that point. It is reasonable to expect that it might drive properly, but less so to expect every non essential gadget and toy to operate like a new car - after all, that's why used cars cost less in the first place,

Interestingly, the junk pile we'd rejected ended up back on their forecourt for sale, but that wasn't my problem. I just feel sorry with the poor sap thst ended up with it.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Dec 10th, 2021 at 11:19.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Familyman 90 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 11:12   #13
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Cheers >He would have a hard time claiming it was a trade sale as he gave me a warranty . Ive done it all per book . No emotion .The ball is in his court . Ive stated the car is dangerous and illegal .My wife refuses to drive it . Its down to him now to present his "cards" . I just want the cost of the car .Ive fitted a bluetooth module and petrol filter etc . And had a car I cannot use for most of the time .Its mainly used for long trips to Shrewsbury/north wales etc . I spoke to a solicitor who told me to offer them the chance but you dont have to accept the car .And then to go via the "money claims " route .

No such legal entity as a "trade sale" unless the buyer is indeed in business as a trader. Cars sold as "trade sale" or "PX to clear" attract the same consumer rights and protections as any other car sold from their forecourt.

Of course, the Arthur Daley's of this world rely upon buyers not knowing that.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 11:52   #14
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
True...But I think the guy maybe had no idea of the issues . Its hard to tell . Sometimes we just have to accept things and move forward offering peace to the world
As you say it's quite possible he didn't know of the issues, there's one of the new online car sellers who claim all their cars are 'reconditioned' but as has been discussed here before that is not going to be reconditioned as most people would understand it. Whilst there is money to be made selling cars in reality there isn't massive profits to be made so they will do the minimum, which in the case of a small trader will be a quick test drive and maybe an MOT and service. Good news is that he's talking to you and wants to resolve the problem.

I bought a Suzuki car from a small trader many years ago which I took for a fairly long test drive, but it wasn't until I had owned it for a few weeks that I really put my foot down and went to high engine revs, the big end bearings started clattering away. Fortunately the trader was an good guy and took the car back and got the engine rebuilt (and lent me a car while it was being done), I felt a little sorry for him as I'd bought it for less than its true market value and the rebuild probably cost him half of what I'd paid.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 13:45   #15
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
As you say it's quite possible he didn't know of the issues, there's one of the new online car sellers who claim all their cars are 'reconditioned' but as has been discussed here before that is not going to be reconditioned as most people would understand it. Whilst there is money to be made selling cars in reality there isn't massive profits to be made so they will do the minimum, which in the case of a small trader will be a quick test drive and maybe an MOT and service. Good news is that he's talking to you and wants to resolve the problem.

I bought a Suzuki car from a small trader many years ago which I took for a fairly long test drive, but it wasn't until I had owned it for a few weeks that I really put my foot down and went to high engine revs, the big end bearings started clattering away. Fortunately the trader was an good guy and took the car back and got the engine rebuilt (and lent me a car while it was being done), I felt a little sorry for him as I'd bought it for less than its true market value and the rebuild probably cost him half of what I'd paid.
"online car seller"
any one who buys a car sight unseen and without checking it , deserves all the issues and problems they get.
i know of the "advert" claiming "so many hundred points reconditioned" , shame the trading standards haven't yet made them take those lies out of the advert.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 18:53   #16
Wagon Sailor
Junior Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
any one who buys a car sight unseen and without checking it , deserves all the issues and problems they get.

Are you suggesting that we should abandon the concept of trust? Surely there's a point where we have to assume people are more likely to be decent than not, otherwise it's downhill all the way.

----------------------------------
Great spec; great build quality.
Wagon Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wagon Sailor For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 19:14   #17
Whippy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
Are you suggesting that we should abandon the concept of trust? Surely there's a point where we have to assume people are more likely to be decent than not, otherwise it's downhill all the way.
Trust? Car salesmen? You'll be trusting lawyers and estate agents next.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 20:10   #18
JJD1
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whippy View Post
Trust? Car salesmen? You'll be trusting lawyers and estate agents next.
Its all in the communications ...
I bought (sold it ....ahhhhhh!) a 20v Audi "UR" years and years ago. It was almost in Dumfries .And I was in London . No tinternet etc . So called and left a hand full of basic questions on his answering machine . next day he called and went through every question in detail and really knew his stuff . His location was hindering the sale .And I made a offer to jump on the train and have a look if he collected me from the station etc . So I did . I had 2 pics to work on and just a "feeling" . When I arrived at the station .I called him via a phone box. Told you it was years ago.... ! And 45 mins later he arrived . I knew then that I would be buying the car . Business sale from someone obviously wealthy and classy but sold nice cars from time to time . He must have known more about these cars than any bloody dealer I knew at the time . What I loved was the fact he really wanted to feel proud he had sold the car and the buyer would be happy . I paid after a 2 min haggle over a cup of tea and paid him the cash (No internet then !) And this is the best bit . His wife was so sure I was going to buy it .Had made me a little hamper of food to keep me going on the long journey back !!.

He told me he wanted to be honest as "you can never tell who a viewer/ buyer might be, what their attitude might be like etc etc "

Then... 3 years later I sold it . It never cost me a penny to own. But how i wish i had kept it .The values rocketed 2-3 years after that . Its called "buy the seller not the car " . Thats why today .I have binned looking at 2 other cars just down to the lazy sellers not answering 4 simple questions in basic detail . Thats "test one" and many fail !
JJD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 21:02   #19
TeamG
Master Member

I stuck with Ford for a few years longer than I needed to (was on a budget in my teens/early twenties, but was doing lots of miles and needed a newer ish car for work). This was partly because of a very helpful dealer. I’d twice rejected a car, but we didn’t actually get round to calling it that.

The first was a 7mth old Galaxy in 2007 that I’d bought new for my wife. (I was driving a £300 15yr old Mazda for one role in London that required parking in Bow on weekend nights.). It was in 17 times in 7 months for warranty work - alarm issues, central locking, abs, engine management. Finally traced to a software upload issue where the software uploaded included for an option not selected, so it constantly searched for that component and threw up the nearest error message. I lost patience, and the dealer offered to take it back and got more than I paid for it new against two other cars (had sold the Mazda after that project finished).

Earlier still, I’d bought my wife a 51 plate Puma which developed a horrendous squeak behind the dash. Multiple dealer visits and he eventually said he’d swap it for another that was 6mths newer with less mileage and no extra to pay.

I stuck with that dealer for a few more years - well past the point that I couldn’t stand Fords any more. All due to a bit of good service.
2008 V50 2.0D SE (sold)
TeamG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamG For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 02:42   #20
c1800
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon Sailor View Post
Caveat emptor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=As6y5eI01XE
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to c1800 For This Useful Post: