Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ABS controller fuse - where?

Views : 2347

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2024, 12:35   #11
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Fuse

Fuse 24
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 15:31   #12
DeanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
What year is it ?

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineOBDCodes.html

If it's a 95 onwards the not quite OBD2 port is in the centre console. You will need a homemade reader to get the codes though
N Reg so 95? Is it hidden away somewhere in the centre console? I haven't come across it whilst looking around. The car is new to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J liddy View Post
Am I wrong In thinking just get another ABS sensor try it on both front plugs that will tell you which one is faulty mine did that for me no problems for 2 years now don't waste money on expenses brands only my thoughts
It's an option yes, I just assumed it wouldn't be that simple. If it was just a sensor why would someone have pulled the bulb? It'd be easier to replace the sensor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
Fuse 24
Correct, I've checked that one and it's all good. I'd just read about a second fuse elsewhere.
DeanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 15:41   #13
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
N Reg so 95? Is it hidden away somewhere in the centre console? I haven't come across it whilst looking around. The car is new to me.

It's an option yes, I just assumed it wouldn't be that simple. If it was just a sensor why would someone have pulled the bulb? It'd be easier to replace the sensor.

Correct, I've checked that one and it's all good. I'd just read about a second fuse elsewhere.

There is a little panel at the bottom of the centre console in the middle. Pop that out and you will see the connector. If the PO didnt know how to find that or have a specific code reader it would be easier to just remove the bulb and hope an MOT tester thought the car was too old to have ABS

Changing the wheel sensor can be a bit of a pain as it will be rusted in after the best part of 30 years. The bolts holding it in will be buggered and you will have to chisel the old sensor out of the bottom of the strut

Last edited by griston64; Mar 4th, 2024 at 15:43.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 19:30   #14
J liddy

Mark its not a bad job .I found it easy to drill out the old sensor .and clean the hub hole up with a rat tail file. My car is 1995 model so has the fault finder set up .probably biggest job is getting the wheel bearing off its a big nut . The sensor fixing bolt after being well oiled with WD40 . It's too risky to hope the MOT inspector miss the ABS bulb being disconnected. Then have to go through the whole process so .Best to do the job right 1st time
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 19:42   #15
J liddy

Hi Dean if the D24 is new to you there are a few things unique to this engine . I can do a lot of basic maintenance .but not the cambelt injection pump .waterpump.idler and tensioner job . If you are certain this job has been done within 60000 miles then all OK if not its imperative its done ASAP a broken cambelt destroyed these engines dead!
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 19:46   #16
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Mark its not a bad job .I found it easy to drill out the old sensor .and clean the hub hole up with a rat tail file. My car is 1995 model so has the fault finder set up .probably biggest job is getting the wheel bearing off its a big nut . The sensor fixing bolt after being well oiled with WD40 . It's too risky to hope the MOT inspector miss the ABS bulb being disconnected. Then have to go through the whole process so .Best to do the job right 1st time
I know what you mean Jim but It's not quite as easy as unplugging a sensor. I was putting in two refurbished struts so I removed old sensors in my garage. Bit more fiddly on the driveway with strut in place. I can see why the PO thought it was easier to remove the bulb if not mechanicaly minded
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 20:02   #17
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default LED lights?

No LED brake lights by any chance? No cruise control problems as well?
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 22:11   #18
DeanH

Quote:
Hi Dean if the D24 is new to you there are a few things unique to this engine . I can do a lot of basic maintenance .but not the cambelt injection pump .waterpump.idler and tensioner job . If you are certain this job has been done within 60000 miles then all OK if not its imperative its done ASAP a broken cambelt destroyed these engines dead!
Yes the belt has been done in the past couple of years so it's all good on that front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post
No LED brake lights by any chance? No cruise control problems as well?
The car doesn't have cruise as far as I'm aware. Nor LED brake lights. Unless you mean the central brake light which does work.
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 07:11   #19
J liddy

Hi does car start 1st time every time .these engines always do if timing is correct .bit of blue smoke for 30 seconds and then gone. Bad starting is normally .GLOW PLUGS or timing. Oil should be now fully synthetic .5 w 40..have you been on the D24.com American forum its excellent forum too !
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 12:23   #20
DeanH

I suspect it has a poor battery but generally it starts ok yes. I've had a quick look on d24 and I think I'll be in need of it soon to sort some other issues.

Had a look in the centre console just now, it does have the OBD 1 port so it looks like I need to make a reader.