Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Unlocking the radio in the Hoe

Views : 764

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2024, 10:02   #1
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Default Unlocking the radio in the Hoe

The battery has been disconnected a few times whilst I was sorting out the Hoe prior to its MOT. The radiio looks to be an original Volvo cassette radio, and it displays "CODE" when I turn it on. The local Volvo dealership was very helpful, and gave me the code for the original radio. I've tried typing this in, and I get firm clicks every time I enter a number, but it doesn't work. I understand that if I type in an incorrect number three times, then the radio displays "OFF", and can't be used for 2 hours. This doesn't happen.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the radio faulty?
Save Old Cars
Offgrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 10:06   #2
360beast
Go redblock or go home

It sounds like the buttons aren't doing what they're meant to, try spraying some contact cleaner around them and press them a few times.

I can't remember the exact process for typing the code in as I only had to do it once before swapping in a more modern stereo.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 11:45   #3
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

I haven't managed to dig out the switch cleaner yet, but I did play around with the buttons, and I got some odd results. The radio model is VC802 btw. Obviously the on/off switch works, and this is combined with the volume control. I pressed and pressed and held all of the buttons in sight, and none had any effect except for one. Thuis was the "1" button, and that displayed the digit "0" every time I pressed it. "0" is not a valid digit in the security code sequence. Also I tried the trick of holding dowb the "6" button whilst turning on the radio. This gave me a blank screen until I released it, and then it displayed "CODE".

I think the next stage is to remove the radio using the bent coat hanger trick, and check and clean all the connections.

I'd be grateful for any comments on this problem, and my proposed solution.
Save Old Cars
The Following User Says Thank You to Offgrid For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 12:50   #4
bob12
bob12

I think these Philips radios were only fitted to the 400 Series and may not be original to Hoe.

This link might be helpful: https://www.dndservices.co.uk/Volvo-VC-802-code.html

Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 13:54   #5
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Thanks Bob, that was really useful, and explains all. I thought that you use the preset buttons to enter the code, but it loks as if you use the tuning up button with preset "1" to get things going. I'm now desperate to see if it works, but I'm on my favourite table in the Sainsbury cafe, so I need to be patient.

Just as an aid memoire, here is the entry sequence -

Quote:
Switch Radio On - Display Shows
" Cod "
Press Preset " 1 " and display will show " 0 "
Press Tuning Up Button " > " For Correct Digit
Press Preset " 1 " to Enter
If the correct code number is now shown
Save Old Cars

Last edited by Offgrid; Mar 19th, 2024 at 13:59.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 15:48   #6
bob12
bob12

I've just got back from Sainsbury's as well! Unfortunately after COVID they closed down their excellent cafe/restaurant at out Mega store.

I hope that the code you got works. At least from your second post the sequence looks hopeful but I have a feeling that the VC802 isn't the original radio. Hopefully I am wrong.

Best of luck.

Bob
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 16:10   #7
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Thanks - I'm in the Waterlooville Sainsbury, and that always seems to be fairly busy. Bit of a nuisance really, as I often have to wait to get onto the central table with with 13amp and USB sockets.

Asda has been giving away free porridge and coffee in the mornings. I understand that Quaker has been paying for this. Unfortunately the offer ends tomorrow, so I did the Euro Lottery to see if I could fund my coffee habit.
Save Old Cars
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 08:08   #8
Offgrid
Offgrid camper

Well thanks to Bob, I seem to have made some slight progress. The tap and shift dance seemed to have some effect, but instead of releasing an abundant world of music, it just said "WAIT". This seems to be the mantra of all modern appliances, payment systems and service staff. After waiting for about a minute, it reverted to stating "CODE". Now I have assumed that the Hoe has turned woke, and wants me to enter her pronouns. Am I still allowed to refer to her as "HER"? It is also getting annoying to enter the codes, as the screen backlight isn't working. I think I'm going to confiscate Cinder's radio, as she has a better taste in music, and the radio has a CD player in it. I don't have any tapes that are suitable for the current radio in the Hoe. As soon as Cinders has got her new clothes, and has been decorated with a shiny new MOT, I'll buy her on of those fancy, double sized bluetooth radios. Are they still called radios?

This leaves me with what I believe to be the original radio in the Hoe. It has the eye saving display feature, which I don't feel inclined to fix, and the release code for its shackles. I think this is probably the correct code. So what to do with it? Does anyone want to give it the kiss of life, or is it destined for the scrap pile?
Save Old Cars
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 14:30   #9
bob12
bob12

Sorry to see the code didn't work.

I knew I had it somewhere .... after a rummage I have found in my old files a copy of the Service Manual for the manufacturer's (Philips) version of the VC 802, the 22DC711/77.

So far as it went your unit worked!! If you look at p4 you will see that WAIT followed after a time interval by CODE indicates the wrong code has been entered.

As said I didn't think a VC 802 was original to Hoe. In 1989/90 Volvo were fitting the SR-701 or CR-702's to the 700 Series plus the underdash amplifier.

I am wondering if you have pulled the unit .... if not and you do so you might be lucky and see someone has written the correct code on it somewhere.

Unfortunately my PDF of the manual is too large for the Forum systems!! If you DM/PM me here on the Forum with your email address I will send you a copy if you want one.

Bob
Old Mar 20th, 2024, 14:49   #10
bob12
bob12

My technological ability shows no bounds!!

Hopefully here's p4 of the service manual!! If you want the whole 25 pages let me know with your email address.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CCF_000004.pdf (146.7 KB, 13 views)