Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Zennon headlights

Views : 3397

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2012, 13:24   #11
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM View Post
I think it's because of a theory that dirt on the glass scatters the beam and makes it blinding to other motorists.

Which ignores the fact that the things are still a bl00dy menace that blind other motorists even when clean and fully 'legal'. Given the brightness of the beam, no self-levelling device yet invented can cope properly with these things called bumps, curves, and slopes that we have on our roads. I reckon these lights might be acceptable if you live in the Netherlands. Otherwise not.

Sorry couldn't resist a rant.
Spot on, and its Worse when they are fitted to those suv/4x4 things, higher up and blind you for longer. The temptation to highbeam + fog lights on when these muppets blind you is there, so far resisted it. and ive also resisted the temptation to carry a crow bar,, to "adjust" there lights for them,,,feel sure 1 Quick tap per light and two for the driver would solve the issue,, but im waiting for them to need a mot,,
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 14:11   #12
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
Spot on, and its Worse when they are fitted to those suv/4x4 things, higher up and blind you for longer. ...
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrips49 View Post
... I'm really surprised they are allowed legally, but then again they allow stupid, blinding rear fog lights so why am I shocked !!
The 'legality' of the thing is a source of constant amusement to me. As others have often pointed out, they are actually illegal according to national legislation, not being listed among the types of permissible light in whatever set of regs it is that theoretically governs these matters; but this is, it seems, one of the issues on which the UK is apparently powerless to enforce its own laws because of the surrender of sovereignty to the Commanding Unelected New Total State ... there is or was a DFT document describing this absurd situation somewhere out there on t'interweb but I think it may have been misplaced in the latest reorganisation of the relevant site.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 14:24   #13
andy_d
Premier Member

In reality All of the retro fitted kits (bulbs + ballasts only) never were "legal". It was only the lack of testing / checking that allowed them to appear on the roads.

As of Jan this year, the MOT test changes include Bulb type
ie "HID" = must have wash + leveling
std halogen bulb > wash/wipe optional, no reqirements for auto leveling or level adjusters.
Both types must work, must have the correct alignment.

i expect come april, when they start enforcing this, that there will be Lots and more cars failing due to "hid kits", ebay will be flooded with 2nd hand "never used" kits, and Certain types will refit a halogen bulb for the mot,, get home and put the hid blinders back in.

Note
if on our s/v40s you were to Buy the Gen volvo bi-zenon lights, headlights/bulbs/ballasts + auto levelers all in the headlight unit,as long as the Wash function worked you would be 100% ok
,,snag,, said lights are £450+vat EACH new from volvo (or more) the bulbs D2S are £100+ each from volvo,, and 2nd hand they are as common as "genuine rocking horse droppings"....
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 14:48   #14
madmodder

hid's are very good when set up propperly with the right headlight type, i.e your ment to have projectors for them, some cars really do need them as a upgrade i.e my 300zx with standard bulbs you cant see the road at all but once i fitted the hids i could see the road, my 300zx does not have auto leveling but manual leveling and i found buy droping them down 1 click on the dial they do not blind other drivers. the thing that annoys me is the H4 style kits that do not put out the correct beam pattern as these realy do dazzle you.

The GDI seems Fine to me and even runs well on 95 Ron.

madmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 14:57   #15
andy_d
Premier Member

thats 1 fail at its next mot after april this year.
Old Feb 15th, 2012, 15:25   #16
madmodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
thats 1 fail at its next mot after april this year.
Depends on who is doing the mot

The GDI seems Fine to me and even runs well on 95 Ron.

madmodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2012, 21:37   #17
atnas666
Proud T4 owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmodder View Post
Depends on who is doing the mot
agree ^^
atnas666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18th, 2012, 22:56   #18
MotorMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrips49 View Post
I have to agree with the trend of this.. I hate them, either behind me or approaching me. They are much too bright especially on a wet, greasy windscreen. I'm really surprised they are allowed legally, but then again they allow stupid, blinding rear fog lights so why am I shocked !!
+1 million !!!

The sooner these stupid,dangerous light are banned the better !!! How they ever managed to pass the "construction and use" regulations is beyond me. Isn't it illegal to use lights that dazzle or blind oncoming motorists? By that definition they are illegal........I'm off to bed now......
MotorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 18:15   #19
EvilPanda

hello all. I just bought s40 2003 1.8 sport and had to change one of the headlights because glass was broken. so after I fitted a " new " headlight which I bought from magical ebay web page, it appeared as a xenon light. my question would be: should I get another side headlight with xenon light bulb and ballast for 40 quid or transfer xenon headlight in to normal light. I just wonder if the xenon lights would not damage my wiring loom if I fit both of xenon lights
EvilPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2014, 19:37   #20
Alex121
Premier Member

You didn't need to buy a whole new headlamp if you broke the glass, you can buy the glass separately...

Can you not take the glass off the new unit you got and put it on your old halogen one?

Don't drive around with one halogen and one xenon...
Alex121 is offline   Reply With Quote