Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 '10> / V60 '11> / XC60 '08>'17 General
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

S60 '10> / V60 '11> / XC60 '08>'17 General Forum for the Volvo x60 Series of cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Geartronic fluid change

Views : 3461

Replies : 59

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 20:47   #51
bertrandls
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Sep 7th, 2018 06:03
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: La Roche sur Yon
Default

Ok my mind is set...
I've done a looooooot of research so it's hard to sum it up but... considering I want to keep this car as long as I can (before switching to electric for sure) and considering the dealer is too expensive fo no reason (in my opinion) AND that I want to do some maintenance myself....
- Vida is essential for many many reasons, so I'll buy one probably already installed on a laptop because installing it seems tricky... but Vida won't allow the software update as I did hope... and most probably no Vida no maintenance by pros in some years at the dealer as some dealers (Ford for example) just throw them away after a while. I have the case here for a 1998 Ford Maverick... IMPOSSIBLE to find a way to read the codes... they just don't have the diag anymore... and I have phoned to Ford France... so... yes Vida is a must have!
- I will most probably flush the oil at a garage the first time to see the procedure done by a pro step by step... OR do it at home with some qualified help... either one...
- price of flushing is (roughly) 600 euros/US dollars done at the dealer or 300 at home with the Volvo products (Skandix shop).
- I've been confirmed that there is no filter in the transmission box and it is not advised to add one for flow pressure reasons
- I've learned that my car has already an auxiliary oil cooler so no need to add one to improve the life span of the oil/transmission
- I've learned from Volvo that flushing is highly recommended each and every 90.000 km that's 56.000 miles I guess
- I've learned that flushing is (that's my take on it) risky if you backward as I am but done by a pro... who takes the responsability of his work (in case of failure) and who shows the right equipment and the right oil, 17 liters of oil to make sure everything is pretty clean AND maybe with a good quality of additives to clean the system (Liqui Moly in my opinion)
- I've learned that draining the oil is probably the best way to go if you do it regularly (60.000/3=20.000 miles)
- I've learned that Scandix is a good provider and that Alain Stempfer (french and german speaking) is a nice, pro, reliable, forthcoming...
- I've learned that one can find reliable informations on internet but it takes time and patience... if you have to learned everything from scratch (it took me at least 2 weeks).
- I've learned that internet and Vida is a good source of infos but so are books... thiings with pages and black things all over them... ;-)
So now I am certainly not a pro but I know the risks and hows of flushing the transmission. So that was intersting...
Thanks for all of your help guys and if I can answer some questions, it will be my pleasure. Cheers!
bertrandls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 20:55   #52
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 

Last Online: Nov 11th, 2018 21:26
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rye, East Sussex
Default

Volvo handbook warns against using additives in the gearbox.

Roy
__________________
1984 245 SE 1986 345 SE Auto
1991 940 TD Auto 2003 XC90 D5 SE AWD Geartronic2002 V70 D5 SE Auto 2014 V40 D2 SE Tiptronic Cross Country 2017 V40 D2 Cross Country Geartronic Pro 2015 XC60 D5 Polestar SE Lux Nav AWD Geartronic
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 21:10   #53
bertrandls
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Sep 7th, 2018 06:03
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: La Roche sur Yon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
Volvo handbook warns against using additives in the gearbox.

Roy
That one is yet another point with no definitive answer...
Unless they have a strong case about it, I'm tempted to trust the tests and analysis of trusty companies such as Liqui Moly...
Volvo claims so many things and keep the lid on so many informations (diagrams, procedures etc) to keep their hands their service costs that I'm not sure how much they are objective...
But yes they say that... and they also said nothing about changing the transmission oil as well so...
It's a risk, I know...
bertrandls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 21:29   #54
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member
 
RoyMacDonald's Avatar
 

Last Online: Nov 11th, 2018 21:26
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rye, East Sussex
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandls View Post
That one is yet another point with no definitive answer...
Unless they have a strong case about it, I'm tempted to trust the tests and analysis of trusty companies such as Liqui Moly...
Volvo claims so many things and keep the lid on so many informations (diagrams, procedures etc) to keep their hands their service costs that I'm not sure how much they are objective...
But yes they say that... and they also said nothing about changing the transmission oil as well so...
It's a risk, I know...
I don't think they keep the lid on information. Vida is a constantly updated annual service that costs about £4000 a year to subscribe to. Hence all the pirate copies sold on eBay. But the pirate copies don't give the full abilities of Vida which connects to the main computer in Sweden

It's more about quality control and maintaining a high standard of reliability. They cater for professional workshops, franchised and independent workshops for mechanics who have been on their workshop courses, but not for the average person because of the price. Makes them a bit OCD about maintaining control of their product but show me a mainstream car manufacturer who isn't!

Roy
__________________
1984 245 SE 1986 345 SE Auto
1991 940 TD Auto 2003 XC90 D5 SE AWD Geartronic2002 V70 D5 SE Auto 2014 V40 D2 SE Tiptronic Cross Country 2017 V40 D2 Cross Country Geartronic Pro 2015 XC60 D5 Polestar SE Lux Nav AWD Geartronic

Last edited by RoyMacDonald; Feb 13th, 2018 at 21:32.
RoyMacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 22:01   #55
bertrandls
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Sep 7th, 2018 06:03
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: La Roche sur Yon
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
I don't think they keep the lid on information. Vida is a constantly updated annual service that costs about £4000 a year to subscribe to. Hence all the pirate copies sold on eBay. But the pirate copies don't give the full abilities of Vida which connects to the main computer in Sweden

It's more about quality control and maintaining a high standard of reliability. They cater for professional workshops, franchised and independent workshops for mechanics who have been on their workshop courses, but not for the average person because of the price. Makes them a bit OCD about maintaining control of their product but show me a mainstream car manufacturer who isn't!

Roy
If I was convinced that their high price was worth it I would let them take care of my car from A to Z (and that I’ve always done) but some failures of the car and some bad diagnosis showed me that they are just like the others... so unless I am convinced there is no other solution but to let them take care of my car, I will be happy to save some pesetas ...
bertrandls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2018, 18:31   #56
Crockers
Premier Member
 
Crockers's Avatar
 

Last Online: Yesterday 17:48
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Wilts
Default

Maybe its just your one dealer. Try a different one.
__________________
XC60 Inscription Pro T5. Mussel Blue with blonde. Xenium, intellisafe pro, towbar, 4 zone , polestar, body styling pack. Apple car play.Tinted windows but no partridge in a pear tree.
Crockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16th, 2018, 23:32   #57
DavebV60
New Member
 
DavebV60's Avatar
 

Last Online: Oct 30th, 2018 22:04
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: chelmsford
Default

after reading all the advise on here i've decided to get my gearbox oil changed.

I know there is a cheaper oil and do it urself ways etc, but i think people miss the point of why a main dealer charge more money because of the service you get.
A years warranty on parts and workmanship, a cup of coffee, a courtesy car, good service etc. There is so much to fall back on if it goes wrong and i think the piece of mind with that is well worth the fact my car will be looked after by specialist.

if you don't get this feeling from your main dealer, definatly need to find another one to use as these is the only reasons its worth the money.

On the other hand, i had 4 tyres fitted at a back street garage, a simple job, they left 75psi in my left rear tyre! one on 36, others on 32 or something, imagine that sort of skill level changing you box oil lol

I use waterhouse chelmsford, essex. Have only just bought my v60, d4 r design, but the service i got the other day was great and well explained to me.

I am booking in next month for the gearbox oil change as due course as my car is on 75k. Ill let you know if it feels any different after!

Last edited by DavebV60; Mar 16th, 2018 at 23:35.
DavebV60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavebV60 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 00:12   #58
Tannaton
Premier Member
 
Tannaton's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 10:07
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Beverley, East Yorks
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavebV60 View Post
after reading all the advise on here i've decided to get my gearbox oil changed.

I know there is a cheaper oil and do it urself ways etc, but i think people miss the point of why a main dealer charge more money because of the service you get.
A years warranty on parts and workmanship, a cup of coffee, a courtesy car, good service etc. There is so much to fall back on if it goes wrong and i think the piece of mind with that is well worth the fact my car will be looked after by specialist.

if you don't get this feeling from your main dealer, definatly need to find another one to use as these is the only reasons its worth the money.

On the other hand, i had 4 tyres fitted at a back street garage, a simple job, they left 75psi in my left rear tyre! one on 36, others on 32 or something, imagine that sort of skill level changing you box oil lol

I use waterhouse chelmsford, essex. Have only just bought my v60, d4 r design, but the service i got the other day was great and well explained to me.

I am booking in next month for the gearbox oil change as due course as my car is on 75k. Ill let you know if it feels any different after!
I don’t think you will be thrilled! But I doubt you will be disappointed....
__________________
2008 XC70 D5 SE Sport NAV, 2007 V50 2.0D SE, 2003 XC90 D5 SE, 2009 Ford Ranger SC, 1997 Land Rover Discovery 300Tdi (special extra rusty edition), 1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 08:37   #59
Brankster
Junior Member
 

Last Online: Yesterday 21:26
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Hamilton
Default

I've decided as the car is booked in for a service and MOT and has done 40k that I will get the gearbox oil changed. I tow with the car so thought I would just do it now rather than later to give piece of mind.
__________________
XC-60 MY2014 D5 2.4 SE Lux Nav AWD Geartronic 215bhp Winter pack with ABL Dark Tinted glass Rear Camera Voice-activated Sat Nav Tempa Styling pack
Brankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2018, 10:39   #60
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!
 
S60D5-185's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 09:06
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Default

The advantage of doing this yourself is that you know that it has actually been done!
__________________
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:10.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.