Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My first complaint.

Views : 4296

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 20:42   #41
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
Some good news for you Bobby. Today I have one very dirty car. Opened the back doors and there was your missing dirt and grit. Very nasty. As for liking the resulting wash, after 60 years of practicing I still haven’t mastered it so not much chance now. Have you tried holding your hose under the door whilst it is closed before I risk it.
I was beginning to think that you have a special edition Ha Ha.
I tend to open the doors and clean around the dirty bits with a bucket of water and a small sponge, I obviously don't use the same sponge for the rest of the bodywork.
My tip is use rainwater if possible, our tap water is very hard, add some no rinse wash and shine and then dry car with a micro cloth, which I find a lot better than a chamois leather.
I'm no expert but it works for me.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Optimum-Rin.../dp/B0094QQI3E

http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/index.shtml

Rating: 5 - ‎2 reviews

Last edited by bobby2000; Nov 23rd, 2017 at 23:23.
bobby2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bobby2000 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 13:14   #42
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby2000 View Post
Has anyone else noticed how useless the reversing lights are on the XC60.
My previous one I found to be very good, but this one must have glow worms inside the lense.
For anyone interested, this is the start of the rear door muck complaint.
Hope this helps.
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 21:14   #43
mdmd

Such an incredible pratfall in a "premium" car. This is what the dirt inside doors looks like:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ne..._LXeAi2tpcLE31

So get prepared when you go washing your car: get a wiper and an overall and try to remove all the dirt rubbing without staining the car interior.

This perfectly fits my idea of a "premium" car ....
mdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdmd For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 23:04   #44
mike95

+1

Here's mine.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4912.jpg (142.6 KB, 74 views)
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 23:46   #45
bobby2000
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
Such an incredible pratfall in a "premium" car. This is what the dirt inside doors looks like:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ne..._LXeAi2tpcLE31

So get prepared when you go washing your car: get a wiper and an overall and try to remove all the dirt rubbing without staining the car interior.

This perfectly fits my idea of a "premium" car ....
Mines been alot dirtier than that. I use a dedicated small sponge to clean mine,
Its certainly not ideal, but funnily enough when I 1st saw the car, I liked the idea of the sills being covered by the doors. It does make it easier to get in and out of, it also keeps the sills cleaner.
My view has now changed I might add.
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 06:12   #46
mdmd

It seems that Volvo engineers valued the nicer look but missed the problem entailed. Now they (and we) know there were reasons for other manufacturers not using that design before!

I don't say the car is complete failure because of this, but clearly is a nuisance that should be accounted for. Many people speak out the assets of the car, but these pitfalls are also important and tend to be ignored.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mdmd For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 13:03   #47
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmd View Post
It seems that Volvo engineers valued the nicer look but missed the problem entailed. Now they (and we) know there were reasons for other manufacturers not using that design before!

I don't say the car is complete failure because of this, but clearly is a nuisance that should be accounted for. Many people speak out the assets of the car, but these pitfalls are also important and tend to be ignored.
This is a clear example of the design at the rear of the car not taking into account the aerodynamics around the rotating rear wheels and surrounding flat planes.
I am sure there will be a simple fix involving a redesign/repositioning of the rearmost rubber door seal strip - maybe with a small horizontal strip either at the top and/or bottom edge to prevent the external air currents from the rotating wheel being sucked into the rear door void.
I would love to get the car onto a rolling road within a wind tunnel - a simple fix will be rapidly found.......
Old Jan 16th, 2018, 14:06   #48
mdmd

Simonjedrake, you could offer consulting to Volvo Engineering Dept. They seem to need it ;-)
The Following User Says Thank You to mdmd For This Useful Post: