Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 2.0t auto reviews/opinions please

Views : 2771

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 19:21   #1
Samwell
Master Member

Default V40 2.0t auto reviews/opinions please

Howdy all, still around!

So, time has come to sell or scrap my beloved v40 diesel and I'm keen in sticking with the same model, v40/s40, as I've had mine long enough to know how to fix most common problems. Love the car.

I went to a dealer today and saw a 2002 v40 2.0T auto. Now, it wasn't perfect by far, but I don't need perfect, I just need a to and from work car which can take me on a longer run every few months. The dealer had just got it in from a good customer who bought it off them many years ago, used then too. It has full history except the last service which is missing or a little overdue. Cambelt changed 5/6/7 years ago, certainly due within a year or 2 I'd say.

Question is... What are the autos like to own? I have driven a few other auto cars now and like the laziness and smoothness... BUT is it more hassle? Or should I say, are the x40 autos hassle? Is mpg a lot worse? What do people get with their 2.0t autos.. And non autos too, that's interesting to know.

So... The dealer offered me a quite good price, then after he saw I was interested, or perhaps I ummed and ahhed a bit too much, he lower the price to something that can't be beaten around here. I'd have said no to the price he originally said but what he's offered now is attractive indeed.

"mot" due next month, tax due, service due and small fixes considered, even after paying all that out its cheap for what it is, just a little work.

Opinions on the autos appreciated!
Samwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 21:01   #2
colnet

Go for it, you won't be disappointed, I think the autos are far superior to the manual, the mpg isn't to bad, on average around 32 to the gallon, and you will be very impressed with the performance, as I said, go for it.

Regards
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 16:32   #3
m0eeb

Default V40 2.0t auto reviews/opinions please

Hi All
Ok I love my petrol 2ltr auto its a 2004 so one of the last old shape I've owned it nearly 8 years now and I can say I wouldn't look at a manual now, around town I get in the high 20's but on a motorway run low 40's the 2ltr engine matches up beautifully with the auto box smooth and responsive.
Go for it !!!
m0eeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 19:08   #4
Samwell
Master Member

Thanks for the replies guys! Confidence inspiring!

I went to see a couple of other v40s today but nothing great. I came back to the cheap cheap one in my local town, asked if I could take it for a test drive and did so. I have to say, I was really impressed with how it drives! I've had my 1.9d for many years, another before that, and we as a family have a 2.4 170 V70 too. The v40 2.0t beats the V70 in smile factor hands down!

Very nice on the motorway, overtaking and then eco cruising, I'm not sure what it translates to but I got 6/7l/100km (if I have that right, still trying to get used to not using mpg anymore)

Came back to the dealership, checked the engine was still in, no ticking, no odd smoke... Bit of a oil leak on the bottom which I'm hoping is the common turbo feed pipe issue, went in to speak with the salesman and he accepted my offer! Yep, now a proud owner of another v40!!!

Thanks for the help guys, I actually really like the feel and response of the auto box, there's something I never thought I'd say, but im happy and can't wait to get cleaning and fixing the small issues 😁
The Following User Says Thank You to Samwell For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 19:22   #5
colnet

You won't be disappointed.

Regards
colnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 10:25   #6
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

I like auto boxes, BUT you really should do a few prolonged test drives to make 100% sure the box does not slip, fail to kick down, stick in gear or make any odd noises. Also make sure there are no signs of any oil leaks.

It can cost more to fix a problematic auto box than a blown engine, hence the need to make sure it is fault free.

One of the few bad points about the V40 classic is that they never made a diesel version.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 14:50   #7
Samwell
Master Member

Well, Skyship, you said it. Before I say any more I can confirm that I gave it a good 30/45 minute run and test drive. All felt fine, gears, engine... But...

The joy of the new-old v40 was short lived.

After getting it home today I opened the bonnet to have a look at things, noticed the water had turned a very milky white. Oh joy.

So here I am now with a new (old) car that was supposed to replace my 1.9d. Seems like I'll have to keep the old one and god knows what I'll do with the new one.

The engine oil seems clean, no sludge or mayo there. The temperature doesn't seem to overheat. Theres a lot of condensation inside the car, perhaps related perhaps not. Either way, it seems like a contamination in the water which can only be expensive.

Anyone with any tips before I take it to a garage?
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 14:53   #8
Samwell
Master Member

Old Nov 25th, 2017, 14:58   #9
Samwell
Master Member

https://i.imgur.com/XlffnmW.jpg

Old Nov 25th, 2017, 19:08   #10
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Strangnas, isn't that where the beautiful bridges are, 'Samwell'?

I'm afraid that I have no specific experience of the V40, but I would change the coolant first of all, use the car and then see if it happens again. If the oil is clean and there is no evidence of cross contamination, that may be all that is required.

How much does the car owe you? Do you want to spend any more on repairs, or would it be better to invest it in your 'old' V40, which you will obviously know much better?

We ran a 745 for 18 years until it became uneconomical to repair, at which point we bought a cheap (£550) V70 to replace it. We've now had it for over a year and it has proved to be a very good buy. I hope that will also be so with your V40.

Regards. John.