Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hardwiring a Dashcam

Views : 7581

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 23:01   #21
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynedance View Post
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F251618137508

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F272894619912

Used the above and wired to the fuse box under the passenger dash.

That's what I did as I did not want to cut the plug from the dash cam.

I also have the Nextbase 512gw is it the latest one with Wi-Fi.
I just received a couple of the fuse piggy-backs that you linked to, and they don't fit as my passenger footwell fusebox takes micro fuses.

The correct item would be something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Pcs-Add...t/311904083289
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 12:40   #22
Simon Jones
Premier Member

The one in the picture is a standard fuse. The correct picture for mini fuse can be seen on this listing: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2X-12-24V...p/122497481617
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Nov 23rd, 2017 at 18:30. Reason: Quote depeted
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 13:33   #23
Waynedance

Yes sorry there are 3 different sizes, standard, mini and no micro (just like sim cards lol).
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 15:33   #24
Timbotambo
Been around a while....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
I've connected the front dashcam to the fuse panel under the glovebox using 'piggy back' connectors. With the use of a toggle switch, I can flip the power from permanent live to ignition switched. NOTE: most of the fuses are permanent live so it takes some hunting to find the switched one.

Didn't bother with a hardwire kit & used the original lead into an accessory socket mounted under the dashboard with the wire run up A-pillar & tucked in the headlining. Using separate socket makes it easy to add other chargers for phone, sat nav etc without messing around with cables, & it can all be readily removed when I come to sell the car.
I tried something similar a while ago and gave up as I firstly ordered the wrong fuses (should have got micro ones). Then, when the right ones came, I couldn't get it to power on. Any idea how to identify the correct fuse (in very basic terms, as if talking to a toddler)?? I followed some guides online but to no avail
Timbotambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 15:43   #25
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by morsing View Post
If you pull the door rubber off the A-pillar it's actually very easy to run the wiring inside the A-pillar and above the windscreen.
Thought I'd share my thoughts on this, having just wired in a rear camera. I did initially start routing the cable along the top of the door frames, as that's the most direct route. However, I soon realised I was running alongside the SIPS air-bags (or 'curtain' air-bags as they're sometimes known).

I'm not sure if it's particular to my car as I have the child safety pack, but the curtain air-bag is rolled up and runs all the way from the C-Pillar above the rear seats, across to the the A-Pillar and down towards the dash. I then had visions of getting strangled by a video cable in the event of air-bag deployment (sounds like something from a horror movie !).

So I then re-routed the video cable along the floor of the car, near the edge of the carpet. I did still need to pass the cable up the A-Pillar, but at least it's position between the windscreen and the rolled up air-bag. So if that front LHS air-bag does get deployed, at least it'll only be pushing the video cable against the inside of the windscreen, and not around my neck !
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 15:49   #26
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbotambo View Post
I tried something similar a while ago and gave up as I firstly ordered the wrong fuses (should have got micro ones). Then, when the right ones came, I couldn't get it to power on. Any idea how to identify the correct fuse (in very basic terms, as if talking to a toddler)?? I followed some guides online but to no avail
Are you asking which fuse number is best to power the dash-cam ? If so, one that gets power as soon as the ignition gets to position I or II. One that is powered off when the ignition is at 0, or car locked. And one that is of a low amp rating.

I went with fuse number 17 (2008 V70, passenger footwell fuse-box) as it doesn't relate to a safety feature of the car and is 7.5A rating, and it's powered off when the car is locked and alarmed (with a few minutes delay).
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 17:04   #27
AndrewTi

Just put the one in the wife's V70, I used the tunnel 12v socket fuse in box b. Only downside is it goes live as soon as you unlock the car, so when light permits, I may try another power source.

With the kit, 20 mins start to finish.
AndrewTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 19:42   #28
Simon Jones
Premier Member

On mine, the fuses under the glovebox used were:

5 (reserve) - ignition switched
8 (reserve) - live, but you could also use 12, 16, 20 or 24 (all reserve / empty on mine)

I seem to recall, I was unable to get the plastic cover back on afterwards due to the height of the piggy-back fuses, but it's so tucked away on the bulkhead that there's little chance of anything being disturbed.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold

Last edited by Simon Jones; Nov 23rd, 2017 at 19:45.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 22:47   #29
Semnoz

I wasn't sure if the 'reserve' fuse spaces were wired up or not - so useful to know as I'd rather not 'piggy back' onto top of an existing supply.

Just move my piggy-back across to 5 and that's even better thanks - now dash-cam is only powered on when ignition is in position II, e.g. when engine is running.

I did wonder about the fuse-box lid clearance. I must confess that due to buying the wrong size piggy-back holder earlier this week, I ended up making my own adaptor by soldering a red 10A cable onto the top end of the blade on a spare 7.5A fuse (had to cut some of the plastic away first) and sealing it all with heat-shrink. It's only temporary but quite solid enough - and as it's only the cable's width higher than the fuse, at least the lid closes

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Nov 24th, 2017 at 11:51. Reason: Quote deleted
Semnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semnoz For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 15:47   #30
AndrewTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
On mine, the fuses under the glovebox used were:

5 (reserve) - ignition switched
8 (reserve) - live, but you could also use 12, 16, 20 or 24 (all reserve / empty on mine)

I seem to recall, I was unable to get the plastic cover back on afterwards due to the height of the piggy-back fuses, but it's so tucked away on the bulkhead that there's little chance of anything being disturbed.
Sorry Simon, being thick, are these in the fuse box with the lid, or the open one with the big cable affair that goes into the middle? Think I'd like to swap to this number 5!!!
AndrewTi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewTi For This Useful Post: