Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

20" Wheels - excessive road noise

Views : 102794

Replies : 1289

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2017, 21:35   #1261
Ocean19

Quick update from (still very very happy) new guy.

I have now driven 512miles since collection and that has included A1, M1, M42 and multiple A, B and local roads both urban and country.

I am really impressed by the comfort, smoothness, lack of noise and general refinement.

As mentioned in my first post, the car I traded was a Merc CLS. Prior to this I had a last gen ML so both reasonable luxury benchmarks. My XC is on 22s with air and is a 2018 RD. Don’t get me wrong, there is tyre noise, but nothing more than I would expect for such large, wide low profile tyres.

Maybe I have been lucky with the roads I have driven on, but up to now it sounds like a big car on 22s should.

O
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 00:37   #1262
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean19 View Post
Quick update from (still very very happy) new guy.

I have now driven 512miles since collection and that has included A1, M1, M42 and multiple A, B and local roads both urban and country.

I am really impressed by the comfort, smoothness, lack of noise and general refinement.

As mentioned in my first post, the car I traded was a Merc CLS. Prior to this I had a last gen ML so both reasonable luxury benchmarks. My XC is on 22s with air and is a 2018 RD. Don’t get me wrong, there is tyre noise, but nothing more than I would expect for such large, wide low profile tyres.

Maybe I have been lucky with the roads I have driven on, but up to now it sounds like a big car on 22s should.

O
Great, you may well have no issues with noise hopefully as I have not seen any complaints from anyone with anything really apart from the D5 with 20" wheels. I have never driven an XC90 with anything apart from 19" & 20" wheels and only the diesel.

Last edited by neon; Nov 2nd, 2017 at 00:39.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 00:57   #1263
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
I'm sorry nu11eaf, but I'm getting a little bit aggravated by people on this thread now saying Volvo have not acknowledged the issue, or Volvo have not done anything about it, that is factually incorrect. If Volvo have not acknowledged or done anything about the issues, then:

Why did they put brand new Conti Silent tyres on my car, at their expense, after I'd done over 7k on my existing set?
Why have they developed the B pillar mod and applied it under warranty?
Why have they made modifications to suspension components and applied them under warranty?

While some people may still not be happy with the noise levels after having these mods, or on new vehicles, its not fair to say Volvo haven't done anything.

Your experience in the R-Design is interesting, both Lexman and myself noted an improvements in later vehicles. Perhaps its the 22 inch wheels. I guess if you go for optional 22 inch wheels, then you've got to make a comfort/noise compromise, as you really are getting low on rubber between you and the road.

If I'm going to be honest, I've noted an improvement in my vehicle following the b-pillar and tyre mods and am at the stage now where although I certainly know there are similar vehicles which run quieter, I find the Volvo acceptable to *my* ears, and nobody else in my family has an issue with it!

You still seem bitterly disappointed with your vehicle nu11eaf, and having driven other XC90 and noted the same issues, your discomfort is clearly not specific to your own vehicle. I think its time you get rid, get a Q7 and move on! :-)

:wq
I definitely acknowledge and do appreciate that Volvo have tried to reduce the issue with what to me feels a bit like sticking plasters, without resolving the root of the issue, whatever it is. If the bottom line is that nothing else is forthcoming I would accept the car as it is, but in this one area alone it is hardly what you should expect from a £55k luxury SUV, which again is just my personal opinion.
I know I keep saying it but I keep reminding myself I paid £55k for this car for a luxury SUV with the luxury Inscription spec level, rather than a sporty variant or a car costing £30-40k where my expectations may have been less for road noise.
A lot of the features in the XC90 do though hit and exceed this bar for me and compensate up to a point and I still think it is a great car. It is just a shame for me that it falls short in quite a significant area.
At this point I have not been told by Volvo it is as good as it is going to get so if there is any chance of a further improvement I will still enquire.

Last edited by neon; Nov 2nd, 2017 at 01:10.
neon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neon For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 07:15   #1264
jasz1156

I too would like to know what suspension mods there are. Volvo told me that there were no further mods available. They had an expert out from Sweden at the time. If there are suspension mods could you give us a part number or technical journal reference.Given I escalated this to Volvo HQ I am really surprised they would not have undertaken a mod given I repeatedly referred to suspension noise and the mounting bushes.
jasz1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 10:00   #1265
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm sorry nu11eaf, but I'm getting a little bit aggravated by people on this thread now saying Volvo have not acknowledged the issue, or Volvo have not done anything about it, that is factually incorrect. If Volvo have not acknowledged or done anything about the issues, then:

Why did they put brand new Conti Silent tyres on my car, at their expense, after I'd done over 7k on my existing set?
Why have they developed the B pillar mod and applied it under warranty?
Why have they made modifications to suspension components and applied them under warranty?

While some people may still not be happy with the noise levels after having these mods, or on new vehicles, its not fair to say Volvo haven't done anything.

Your experience in the R-Design is interesting, both Lexman and myself noted an improvements in later vehicles. Perhaps its the 22 inch wheels. I guess if you go for optional 22 inch wheels, then you've got to make a comfort/noise compromise, as you really are getting low on rubber between you and the road.

If I'm going to be honest, I've noted an improvement in my vehicle following the b-pillar and tyre mods and am at the stage now where although I certainly know there are similar vehicles which run quieter, I find the Volvo acceptable to *my* ears, and nobody else in my family has an issue with it!

You still seem bitterly disappointed with your vehicle nu11eaf, and having driven other XC90 and noted the same issues, your discomfort is clearly not specific to your own vehicle. I think its time you get rid, get a Q7 and move on! :-)

I'm no bully nu11eaf. My point was meant partly in jest.. note the exclamation mark and smiley face.

But part serious too, it is fact that nobody on this thread can accuse Volvo of not doing anything to try and resolve the issues. Now agreed their efforts have not made dramatic changes, and the car is still far from luxury limo silent, but its an improvement never the less and whether its satisfactory is of personal opinion. Clearly I am somewhat satisfied (I judge this based on the fact that if I were changing now, I would certainly consider another XC90), you are clearly not so impressed with the changes.

I don't think it is such a silly mistake to suggest you move on now. I've known people move on within 6 months when not happy with a car. Now, of course I know nothing of your personal situation, and it may not be in a position to do so, it was only a suggestion.

I genuinely was interested in your experience with a MY18 vehicle, simply because Lexman and myself have had new vehicles just recently and indecently noted an improvement over and above the mods on our cars.

The suspension mods were replacement modified suspension bushes wich reduced a faint knocking from the front.

There was no personal attach here.

Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 11:30   #1266
Zoo21

Quote:
Clearly I am somewhat satisfied (I judge this based on the fact that if I were changing now, I would certainly consider another XC90):wq
We still have a Volvo in the household. On a recent service to that vehicle, we were giving an XC90 demonstrator as a loan vehicle for the afternoon. Having been driving a 17 Q7 since chopping my XC90, the only thing that is better on the XC90, is the un-noticeable and smooth gear change. The increased road noise in particular was instantly more noticeable on the Volvo. The loan car was wearing a 67 plate although I didn't take much more interest in it. I'm not at the stage where I would consider another XC90 - but that's just my personal opinion. The Audi has had zero issues apart from the clowns that sell them.

Quote:
I don't think it is such a silly mistake to suggest you move on now. I've known people move on within 6 months when not happy with a car:wq
Or in my case, 3 months. At the time of purchase and with many thanks to the contributors of this forum and particular thread, I pursued Volvo and the dealer relentlessly until I decided, after the 'failed' tyre, pillar and sound mods which were available at that time, to demand the return and full refund of the car.
It's interesting that way back on this thread there were vociferous comments regarding both the XC90 and Q7 and basically, some rather uninformed comments about the Audi (past owner's experiences of 5+ year old cars).
Again - and only my opinion - the new Q7 outstrips the XC90 for ride and comfort.

Quote:
I genuinely was interested in your experience with a MY18 vehicle, simply because Lexman and myself have had new vehicles just recently and indecently noted an improvement over and above the mods on our cars:wq
Good news to hear this from owners of new vehicles (MY18 I assume). The car will (should) only get better through production, leaving a very sad depreciation for older versions.
Zoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 16:56   #1267
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm no bully nu11eaf. My point was meant partly in jest.. note the exclamation mark and smiley face.

But part serious too, it is fact that nobody on this thread can accuse Volvo of not doing anything to try and resolve the issues. Now agreed their efforts have not made dramatic changes, and the car is still far from luxury limo silent, but its an improvement never the less and whether its satisfactory is of personal opinion. Clearly I am somewhat satisfied (I judge this based on the fact that if I were changing now, I would certainly consider another XC90), you are clearly not so impressed with the changes.

I don't think it is such a silly mistake to suggest you move on now. I've known people move on within 6 months when not happy with a car. Now, of course I know nothing of your personal situation, and it may not be in a position to do so, it was only a suggestion.

I genuinely was interested in your experience with a MY18 vehicle, simply because Lexman and myself have had new vehicles just recently and indecently noted an improvement over and above the mods on our cars.

The suspension mods were replacement modified suspension bushes wich reduced a faint knocking from the front.

There was no personal attach here.

I maintain you are, in your own words "aggravated" by others who do not agree with you and hiding a snide comment behind a smilly face does not hide the fact it was a snide remark. You were trying to bully and sensor by saying it was time I moved on. This forum is not for posting personal comments about other members. Stick to comments about the thread and DO NOT post comments about me and we will all get along just fine.

Last edited by nu11eaf; Nov 2nd, 2017 at 18:10.
nu11eaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 18:16   #1268
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoo21 View Post
We still have a Volvo in the household. On a recent service to that vehicle, we were giving an XC90 demonstrator as a loan vehicle for the afternoon. Having been driving a 17 Q7 since chopping my XC90, the only thing that is better on the XC90, is the un-noticeable and smooth gear change. The increased road noise in particular was instantly more noticeable on the Volvo. The loan car was wearing a 67 plate although I didn't take much more interest in it. I'm not at the stage where I would consider another XC90 - but that's just my personal opinion. The Audi has had zero issues apart from the clowns that sell them.
Yes, I still clearly remember driving out of the Audi dealership in the Q7 test drive, I was immediately impressed by the near silence as it rolled out. Unfortunately at the time I calculated the Q7 was going to cost me an additional 10k to spec up to the Volvo I have, and both myself and my wife preferred in interior and exterior of the Volvo, of course this is very much a personal thing (don't want ot upset anyone else on the forum!).

[QUOTE}Good news to hear this from owners of new vehicles (MY18 I assume). The car will (should) only get better through production, leaving a very sad depreciation for older versions.[/QUOTE]
Some have noted a distinct difference, others not.

Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 20:08   #1269
neon
Premier Member

Just put my 19" wheels on with Nokian winter tyres. Noticed a big difference in the road noise and how it feels over potholes etc vs the 20" wheels at this time of year.
Old Nov 23rd, 2017, 23:04   #1270
ulstrup

for the last 127 pages some people are complaining about their car producing an unacceptable road noise when some others are extremely happy with them.

I have my T8 XC90 since 1and1/2 month and I found the car extremely silent.having owned a number of SUV for the last 10 years including a RRS and various Mercedes I never found my car noisy. my best friend just received his new RRS and both of us found the RRS noisier than the Volvo....

I don't doubt that the people complaining here are really annoyed.

we might come to the conclusion that some people are more sensitive than others to the vibration frequency emitted by the Volvo and that, unfortunately for them, the XC90 is not the right car for them to use.

since I don't believe that Volvo is going to install a vibration damper in their car I am afraid that this thread is a non ending story.....
ulstrup is offline   Reply With Quote