Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ignition won't turn beyond position II

Views : 14498

Replies : 42

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 29th, 2013, 10:50   #1
Baffler
Premier Member

Default Ignition won't turn beyond position II

Got in the '03 this morning, put the key in the ignition, turned to position II, waited a few seconds for the glow plug light to go out, went to turn to start but key won't turn any further. I thought the key may be damaged so got the second key...same thing. I tried removing/replacing the key several times just in case a tumbler or barrel is jammed but still doing the same thing.

Any of you had a similar experience? I know the automatic petrols can have an issue with the PNP inhibitor switch but all diesels are manual so doesn't apply.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 10:53   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Best thing to do is to remove the lock barrel and see if on of the pins is damaged. If you want to temporarily use your car, remove the plastic barrel thingy on the other end of the lock barrel and try starting your car that way

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 11:10   #3
Baffler
Premier Member

Hey, Alex, not exactly a common issue is it. Will have to strip down the column for a look see

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 11:16   #4
gatos
Premier Member

Indeed, very unusual to fail. If you need the other end of the lock barrel, let me know and I'll send you one. Don't want anything for it

Nullius in Verba
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 12:55   #5
Baffler
Premier Member

Thanks for the kind offer, Alex! Hopefully I can take the one off the '98 car if needs be.

Removed the key barrel and that is turning freely to position III. Removed the electrical end of the switch and I'm able to start the engine. Looks as though there's something damaged deep within the lock mechanism so need to remove it from the column for a proper look. Now...to get off those shear screws :|

Not a happy camper as there's also a Polar wind outside that would shave the nads off a brass monkey

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 13:31   #6
gatos
Premier Member

What do you need a shear screw for? It's very easy and quick to remove the barrel. Put the key in, use a small allen key to push the pin through the hole aand wiggle the key and barrel together to remove them. Make sure you leave the key in the barrel. If you remove it, the small lock thingies will fly all over the place.

Nullius in Verba
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 14:11   #7
960kg
Premier Member

Hi Liam, it is probably number 4 in the pic.

They are a part to play up after considerable miles or age.

Just as a coincedance mine is playing up but mine gives different symptoms.

When i start my V70 it fires then stops in 1 sec i have replaced the antenna immob. part but is the same.

At the bottom of the key barrel is a crosspiece which fits in number 4 which is the switch and when turning it is the same as the key tumbler except that it switches the contacts inside it as it turns.

Maybe it is dry so give it some Servisol cleaner and then some WD40 to lubricate it and see what happens ,might save you a bit. You shouln`t have to remove the barrel for the key!

When it`s off you can stick a screwdriver in the slot and turn it back and forth.

Mine is the same but different i have a spare so i just need to bother to do it!

Keith

PS
just had another read and is it correct that you think it may be the actual steering lock not unlocking even tho you turn the wheel?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starter lock.jpg (147.2 KB, 141 views)

Last edited by 960kg; Nov 29th, 2013 at 14:16.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 14:57   #8
Thorfin
S40 Driver

Maybe a stupid suggestion... But....

Have you tried turning your steering wheel slightly whilst turning the key? If its like my phase one the stearing lock when on and the wheel is resting on the lock won't allow the key to be turned past II.... Just a thought

<edit> just realized you've already tried that! Sorry for stupid suggestion

I love it when people call me at 3 AM. "Hey, you asleep?" "No, I'm skydiving."
Thorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2013, 14:59   #9
Baffler
Premier Member

I removed the complete barrel assembly and the electrical side of the switch and both are working as they should.

Hi, Keith, I discovered a small shard of metal amongst the steering lock mechanism which I believe to be the fault.

Still need to get the whole assembly off for a proper look but it's way too cold out there and I'm just after a bout of flu.

I might be taking Alex up on his kind offer after all.

Old Nov 29th, 2013, 15:30   #10
gatos
Premier Member

Can you take a photo of the back of the lock barrel.

And is it me, or is this bit damaged:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baffy.jpg (69.3 KB, 399 views)

Nullius in Verba
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: