Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

5th Gear problem

Views : 4292

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 30th, 2016, 15:54   #1
SBDuffy BSc Hons

Unhappy 5th Gear problem

I have recently bought a W reg S40 2000 and I can't seem to select 5th gear instead when I push the gear leaver over it won't go into 5th instead finding 5th

I have got it booked in my garage to let them have a look but the consensus seems to be the linkage does this sound right if so what is an approximate cost if it sounds like something else what could it be and what are the associated estimated cost

Thanks again in advance had a lot of bad luck with cars in recent years and could do with reassurance that it is worth repairing
SBDuffy BSc Hons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 16:19   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBDuffy BSc Hons View Post
I have recently bought a W reg S40 2000 and I can't seem to select 5th gear instead when I push the gear leaver over it won't go into 5th instead finding 5th

I have got it booked in my garage to let them have a look but the consensus seems to be the linkage does this sound right if so what is an approximate cost if it sounds like something else what could it be and what are the associated estimated cost

Thanks again in advance had a lot of bad luck with cars in recent years and could do with reassurance that it is worth repairing
It is most likely the 5th gear nut loose on the end of the shaft behind the black tin cover on the end of the gearbox , a fairly easy fix if the renault gearbox .
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 18:58   #3
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Yes if it has the Renault box (reverse up next to 1st then it has) then the linkage can go out of alignment, mine has done it a few times only the other way, so when I select 1st I get 3rd, 2nd is 4th, etc, which is a pain because there's no reverse, if I select reverse I get 1st, usually selecting a gear and then gently pushing the lever over has given a clunk and it's all gone back to normal, but if all the other gears are where they are supposed to be then it's probably not that.
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 20:55   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

If your reverse is top left, you have the Renault box. First thing to check and replace are the gear linkage bushes. £20 or thereabouts from Volvo for a full set and 30 mins to fit. If this does not cure the problem, as Clan has said loose 5th gear nut. If reverse is bottom right you have the Volvo box.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 22:25   #5
gefterws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is most likely the 5th gear nut loose on the end of the shaft behind the black tin cover on the end of the gearbox , a fairly easy fix if the renault gearbox .
I have similar problem but i cant get it. Where is that nut? Inside or where? I know it sounds stupid but need to fix it.
gefterws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2016, 22:50   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gefterws View Post
I have similar problem but i cant get it. Where is that nut? Inside or where? I know it sounds stupid but need to fix it.
yes inside the cover , take the cover off , cant remember if you need to drain the oil first . depends if the level plug is above the lowest part of the cover ...
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 09:40   #7
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

When they talk about the 5th gear nut being loose they mean the nut holding the fifth gear cog in place in the gearbox.

I have done this job on a completely unrelated engine where the symptoms were it would go into 5th and stay there but it would make an awful whining noise like the gearbox was about to self destruct.

In this case the nut had broken.

I had to drain the oil out of the gearbox (the odd bit of metal came out too), remove end cover of the gearbox, remove all the broken bits of nut, clean the threads, loctite the threads and fit a new nut (£4 from trade genuine spares). Torque it up to somewhere abouts 60-80 newton metres (NM) and then stake the nut in place to lock it on the shaft. Re-assemble and refill with the correct gear oil.

Its not a difficult job if that is what it is.

I don't know about the gear linkage problems but a small amount of wear will cause gear selection problems in cable operated systems.
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 10:11   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
When they talk about the 5th gear nut being loose they mean the nut holding the fifth gear cog in place in the gearbox.

I have done this job on a completely unrelated engine where the symptoms were it would go into 5th and stay there but it would make an awful whining noise like the gearbox was about to self destruct.

In this case the nut had broken.

I had to drain the oil out of the gearbox (the odd bit of metal came out too), remove end cover of the gearbox, remove all the broken bits of nut, clean the threads, loctite the threads and fit a new nut (£4 from trade genuine spares). Torque it up to somewhere abouts 60-80 newton metres (NM) and then stake the nut in place to lock it on the shaft. Re-assemble and refill with the correct gear oil.

Its not a difficult job if that is what it is.

I don't know about the gear linkage problems but a small amount of wear will cause gear selection problems in cable operated systems.
And in rod operated systems which volvo use .. so if there is slop in the lever and difficult to get 1st gear renew the bushes at BOTH ends of the rod , do not touch the adjustment , it is difficult to find your starting point again , new bushes are the way to cure it not adjusting it !
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 13:53   #9
gefterws

Quote:
And in rod operated systems which volvo use .. so if there is slop in the lever and difficult to get 1st gear renew the bushes at BOTH ends of the rod , do not touch the adjustment , it is difficult to find your starting point again , new bushes are the way to cure it not adjusting it !
For me it is just difficult to get in 5th gear but it wirks like it should. I changed all bushing but still 5th is problem, sometimes ends up in 3rd 😄. Duno where i can find answer
gefterws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2016, 23:25   #10
V40T4R

Quote:
Are there bushes for the T4 volvo box (M56)?