Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Definitive Answer Please Pre-2000 AWD issues

Views : 1876

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 1st, 2017, 13:02   #1
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Default Definitive Answer Please Pre-2000 AWD issues

I've found a genuine 65,000 mile AWD 1998 V70XC.

Now I'm drawn more to the 65K than the AWD, but of course AWD is schnice 3-4 days a year. But I can live without it.

My exisitng V70 has 300K on it and will give up at some point. 65K and AWD seems too good to be true, but 65K really is genuine.

I have to face the fact, on my miles, not 'if' but 'when', it will go. So prop-shaft removed am I OK?

I understand 'when' the AWD does go, and I my searching says it'll be old perished and decayed rubbers, not just wear or tyre-wear etc etc that kill these, all I need do is remove a prop-shaft to be in effect in hte same position as any FWD car. And that sounds to be an hour's work and no real hassle.

Is there any other price to pay in doing this? Is it really that simple? eg: I am aware the shox on these are Nivomat unique to the AWD variants, rare and mega-pricey. The FWD Nivomat are already plenty pricey and rare enough! So there sits one penalty. In short are there any others to hit me, over and above its FWD brethren. eg: Is it noisier etc etc removed?

This if I do the galactic miles I'm used to doing?

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 1st, 2017 at 13:23.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2017, 13:49   #2
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
I understand 'when' the AWD does go, and I my searching says it'll be old perished and decayed rubbers, not just wear or tyre-wear etc etc that kill these, all I need do is remove a prop-shaft to be in effect in hte same position as any FWD car. And that sounds to be an hour's work and no real hassle.
Removal of propshaft is a well tried and successful method of "fix" for various AWD issues. My concern would be insurance. They may be unhappy about the prop removal and refuse cover or increase premiums. I suspect many don't tell the insurance company, and while it might be ok if they are involved in a small knock, they will get hung out to dry if the police get involved in a more serious incident.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 02:43   #3
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I was a million miles from looking thru' that end of the telescope. I thank you profusely for this.

It hadn't even occurred to me (and it should have done) removal of the propshaft would be found an insurance issue.

In truth I struggle to see how it should be, but it's not about that, so of course, it will be. How could it not?

You're right, in the event of a 'proper' shunt, the 'insured' is wide-open for any insurer to find reasons not to pay out, and experience in the past with this tells me removing a propshaft will be enough. I'd be giving them just the reason they need.

For those of you not having dealt with insurers lately, I can promise you, they are very hot on finding reason not to pay, to the point of being poisonous about it. Expect them to nitpick your claim, so be very tight on what you say and do when insuring. You are required to nitpick at proposal time or you are not insured.
I had a theft claim refused as 'invalid', which after much fighting theey eventually paid. Believe me, a propshaft removed is milk and honey to the loss adjuster. You have been warned.

Damnit. I have to walk away from a 65K car. On my mileage the AWD will pop (eventually), and the simple solution is not so simple, and repair too costly.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 2nd, 2017 at 02:58.
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 09:37   #4
luggsey
The truth is out there...

Quote:
I was a million miles from looking thru' that end of the telescope. I thank you profusely for this.

It hadn't even occurred to me (and it should have done) removal of the propshaft would be found an insurance issue.

In truth I struggle to see how it should be, but it's not about that, so of course, it will be. How could it not?

You're right, in the event of a 'proper' shunt, the 'insured' is wide-open for any insurer to find reasons not to pay out, and experience in the past with this tells me removing a propshaft will be enough. I'd be giving them just the reason they need.

For those of you not having dealt with insurers lately, I can promise you, they are very hot on finding reason not to pay, to the point of being poisonous about it. Expect them to nitpick your claim, so be very tight on what you say and do when insuring. You are required to nitpick at proposal time or you are not insured.
I had a theft claim refused as 'invalid', which after much fighting theey eventually paid. Believe me, a propshaft removed is milk and honey to the loss adjuster. You have been warned.

Damnit. I have to walk away from a 65K car. On my mileage the AWD will pop (eventually), and the simple solution is not so simple, and repair too costly.
How much are they asking for it, if it's cheap I'm interested?

It's a dogs life!

XC70 D5 2006 244K Still chugging!
CRV 2.2 2006 216K Reactivated.
luggsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 10:25   #5
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Top money, however in my mind long-term AWD issues aside, worth it. Seller is in no hurry. I'm still seriously looking at it. The XC is a bit of a fashion-victim, I don't liek the increased ride-height, can't be as safe for 99% of my miles, eg in emergency situations.

I'm looking to see if telling my insurer I've thrown the propshaft is the way to go. I can't see them loading a policy for this, only using it as reason for not paying if I don't advise at proposal. Somethign like this throws the automatiopn algorithms of the insurance comparison sites off-kilter, and reduces or loads my premium. It will be seen as a 'modification' and they don't like that.

Robert DIY has videos on removal and dealing with the 'Angle gear'. At 65K, nothing will be worn. Yet. If I catch it, I'm now to understand frequent angle gear oil changes might have it do a lot better. Is this correct?

Is there such a thing as a galactic miler AWD that is not a 'Trigger's broom'?
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 11:00   #6
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:

I'm now to understand frequent angle gear oil changes might have it do a lot better. Is this correct?

Is there such a thing as a galactic miler AWD that is not a 'Trigger's broom'?
Many of the angle gear failures I have read about have been the result of oil leaking and excessive wear as a result. A change of oil must be beneficial. Far more common is the "stripping" of the drive collars, which work in the AWD setup. Think of them like a "sheer pin" in a straw baler and you'll be there.
Cheepish to buy but abit time consuming to remove and refit.

There is an excellent "geek/scientific" discussion about the collar gear here - allow a good hour
:-

http://v70r.com/forums/topic/13041-p...alysis/?page=1

At the mileage you are aiming for the rear section of the AWD setup must be considered suspect. Owners matching tyre tread depth front/back to help the system live longer,must tell volumes about the "strength/weakness" of the system.

Its always hard to walk away from what you perceive to be a flawed bargin, and I have not always been able to do it. But its a question of do as I say not as I do ...LOL

Good luck however you play this..

Cheers

Bob

Last edited by 100K+; Jan 2nd, 2017 at 11:07.
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 11:08   #7
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Quote:
?..I don't liek the increased ride-height, can't be as safe for 99% of my miles, eg in emergency situations.
I'm intrigued by this comment. Are there are lot of really low hanging trees round your way that make the slightly increased ride height more prone to a car / foliage incident?

Personally I find the increased ride height of the XC gives slightly better visibility and also means you're less likely come into contact with the likes of speed humps and general debris on the road surface.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2017, 17:11   #8
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Quote:
I'm intrigued by this comment. Are there are lot of really low hanging trees round your way that make the slightly increased ride height more prone to a car / foliage incident?
You're right of course, and right to take the pistol too, six of one, half-dozen of the other. At the extreme, Range Rooney's and our own homoerotic XC90 Mumwagon thingy clearly have better sight-lines than me. High, heavy, and hence toppy, they have to roll more easily. Won't stop either forsimialr reasons - least not like any decent estate car.

OK, no Range Rooney, but the car I'm looking at is getting nearer to that extreme, by how much is very debatable. I'll bet stopping the thing in any hurry whilst trying to avoid whatever it is you're braking to avoid, has to harder. This even if you have seen something split-seconds earlier than I could. We could go on and on... ie 'said' Mumwagon will be a tad better surviving the forthcoming shunt.

Only it'd need to be!
Heavier, and now in a roll, it won't have stopped. We could argue this one all day. Comes down to how you dice your carrots.

100K+ -

Quote:
flawed bargain
I like your intelligent responses. In short you're clearly spot on. However nice (read unnecessary most of the time) AWD is, I am coming to the conclusion I need to walk away if intending to actually to 'drive' the thing. On my miles i'm set to find those flaws, I'm buying a liability. I will claim all logic here, and I too will then buy the thing, knwoing full well i shouldn't. At least I'll have my eyes open.

I'm off to read that link. Might persuade, might even change my mind. Geekdom is my 'thing'. Anorak already off the coathanger

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 2nd, 2017 at 17:47.
Old Jan 5th, 2017, 11:12   #9
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I've looked at this. Read quite a bit now. Conclusion is sadly not good. To buy any AWD as a long-term keeper, you're buying expense, time and hassle. Unless I have good reason for AWD, and I don't, it's pure willy-waving. Those I've seen for sale, apart from this low-miler, seem to have the propshaft removed. eg one on eBay now at 124K, no shaft.

Taking the propshaft out is the cure, which in itself rather admits the above point. Having done that, I've still got expensive shockers, and no doubt different pricey exhausts etc etc to deal with, etc. This aside form insurance issues. All this would be £5-600 and a few days out of my life at spome point, all without good reason.

The seller si in no hurry to sell, I don't need a car now. I was looking long-game for when he does sell. Another decent car will be along, especially if I'm prepared to pay for it , which I am. Wait and pay, then good cars are not rare. I thought this was that car. It isn't.

Makes no sense, sadly. I conclude, I'm out.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 5th, 2017 at 12:03.