Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2003 V70 D5 - Fuel delivery issue - Help please

Views : 798

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2017, 23:34   #1
BlueArcher16

Default 2003 V70 D5 - Fuel delivery issue - Help please

Hi,
So I was on the way to a conference last week with 55 miles range and my car stop running just as I hit a roundabout on a dual carriageway. Managed to get started again so I raced around the roundabout and dived on to cycle track off the road as it cut out. As it displayed all the symptoms off running out of fuel I assumed the display was having a bit of a wobbly and giving me inaccurate range estimates. I called Greenflag and they gave me some fuel which got the car going again. The car was then fine for three days and I though nothing of it.
However it then cut out in the same way again - I could feel the power go out of the throttle as I was going 70 down the motorway and rolled to a stop on the hard shoulder. But this time I had 140 mile range. Called Greenflag suspecting I'd been a complete idiot and ran out of fuel twice in three days. Roadside assistance turned up and confirmed the was fuel in it, as he opened a valve up and the fuel shot out over both of us.
He plugged it in and it was reading a fuel delivery error and the pressure reading he said were low, which seemed strange considering the speed it came out of the valve.
Anyway didn't get it going and went home on a lorry.
Thoughts on this? from having a quick google im thinking fuel pressure regulator or pressure sensor??

Appreciate any help.

Many thanks
BlueArcher16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 18:54   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Low fuel pressure caused by one or more of:

1. Blocked fuel filter
2. Air bubble in fuel line
3. Bad fuel pump

My vote is for the bad fuel pump
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 22:20   #3
davebb
Premier Member

leaking injector,
Dave
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 23:10   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueArcher16 View Post
as he opened a valve up and the fuel shot out over both of us.
What valve?
Can you post a picture please.....
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 05:12   #5
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebb View Post
leaking injector,
Dave
It would still start with one leaking or blown injector, although it might run a bit rough.

My wild guess based on no fault codes listed would be the following:
1/ Bad in tank LP feed pump if fitted.
2/ Blocked or leaking fuel filter (A lot of folks fail to change the O rings).
3/ Air leak into the fuel lines or connections from the tank.

Running out of fuel and air in the fuel system produce the same symptoms. It's often caused by bad seals in the fuel filter housing or loose cap (tends to cause a leak if the systemn has a feed pump).
One way of testing if it's air is to see if it needs priming before it starts. If it needs more than a few pumps of a manual priming bulb (Not sure if one is fitted), then it's air.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Nov 2nd, 2017 at 05:18.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2017, 19:11   #6
BlueArcher16

I've changed the fuel filter. Turned the engine over and took the new filter off again and there was fuel in the filter. So would that rule out a bad in tank pump as fuel is finding its way into the filter ?
Thanks
BlueArcher16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 16:36   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
I've changed the fuel filter. Turned the engine over and took the new filter off again and there was fuel in the filter. So would that rule out a bad in tank pump as fuel is finding its way into the filter ?
Erm, no not really.
Can you hear the pump working with ignition on?
Also, still waiting on details of the valve you mentioned.....
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 18:02   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks
No because you don't know if the fuel tank pump is able to provide sufficient fuel line pressure to keep up with the demand.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2017, 07:20   #9
reggit
Premier Member

You’ve got the same symptoms mine had with a bad in-tank pump.
It didn’t store a fault code, there was one before the ignition was turned off, but once cycled it was erased.

To tell for sure, use Vida to read both fuel level sensors (or physically open the tank hatches and look) when the tank is less than 1/4 full. If there’s more fuel in the passenger side of the tank your pump isn’t doing it’s job. I’d expect the passenger side to read zero when there is 1/8th tank left. It’s this fuel that the car can’t access with a failed in-tank pump due to the shape of the fuel tank.