Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Introduction and Engine Swap Question

Views : 685

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2017, 20:42   #1
liamcafs

Default Introduction and Engine Swap Question

Hi All,

I've just become the proud owner of a 1987 Silver 240 GLT. Its a 2.3 B230E Auto. I'm genuinely over the moon after wanting a 240 for a long time! But I'm also a lover of the Whiteblock engines after owning a few more modern volvos.

I've read a number of threads regarding swapping in Whiteblock engines. It seems to me that the most straightforward route is buy a 960 a use it a single donor for the whole drivetrain. I already have an aftermarket ECU I want to use but I have a question I hoped the masses could help with.

Ideally I would like a 960 manual gearbox but can the 960 auto gearbox be used in a 240? Is there any electronic control required to make it work.

If anyone has any other advice I'm happy to hear it.

Many Thanks
Liam Mc
'99 V70 AWD 155k miles SOLD
Link to my 240 Engine Swap Build Thread
liamcafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 09:09   #2
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

I did do a guide on it but Photobucket ruined it and half of the pictures disappeared.

Not sure about using a 960 auto but I would say, if you want a manual then hold out for a manual. By wanting the manual but doing the auto, youll always wish you had gone for the manual. With the effort involved, do it once and do it right.

My guide here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=199342

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 11:36   #3
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
....... if you want a manual then hold out for a manual. By wanting the manual but doing the auto, youll always wish you had gone for the manual .......

That is generally a good rule in life I reckon. So yes hold out for the manual stick change box.

I know nothing about the proposed engine swap. So otherwise I just will say all the best with that project.

Stephen
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 16:19   #4
heckflosse
Premier Member

This is something swilling around in my cluttered mind too, at the moment.
I want to fit a 960 six into our 265.( It already has the right antiroll bar!).
Has anyone done this in the UK?
There are some on youtube in Sweden, all a bit mega boy racer.
I just want to make an effortless wafter. I also loath automatics. Limp mode nasties and all that.
Finding a manual 960 is the snag. I'm thinking about adapting an M46 to the straight six. Probably on the edge of its strength, but they were behind torque y Turbos and V6s back in the good old days. A V6 clutch would be the way to go. Prop can be shortened easily enough, exhaust could run into the original system at a pinch but twin pipes would be much better.
Cats? Not sure if they are needed on a swap like this. MOT wise they aren't.
The Motronic wiring is considerable.
Failing that, how difficult would it be to get a tin sump made up to suit a five cylinder? Straight sixes seem to be rare and the prices of donor cars are climbing. I won't cut up a decent car just for an engine swap
Your car being a GLT, probably has a 3.5 diff which is a good start.

The other route is a redblock turbo but that has snags too on a RHD car, surely?
best of luck,
Jim
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 23:20   #5
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckflosse View Post
This is something swilling around in my cluttered mind too, at the moment.
I want to fit a 960 six into our 265.( It already has the right antiroll bar!).
Has anyone done this in the UK?
There are some on youtube in Sweden, all a bit mega boy racer.
I just want to make an effortless wafter. I also loath automatics. Limp mode nasties and all that.
Finding a manual 960 is the snag. I'm thinking about adapting an M46 to the straight six. Probably on the edge of its strength, but they were behind torque y Turbos and V6s back in the good old days. A V6 clutch would be the way to go. Prop can be shortened easily enough, exhaust could run into the original system at a pinch but twin pipes would be much better.
Cats? Not sure if they are needed on a swap like this. MOT wise they aren't.
The Motronic wiring is considerable.
Failing that, how difficult would it be to get a tin sump made up to suit a five cylinder? Straight sixes seem to be rare and the prices of donor cars are climbing. I won't cut up a decent car just for an engine swap
Your car being a GLT, probably has a 3.5 diff which is a good start.

The other route is a redblock turbo but that has snags too on a RHD car, surely?
best of luck,
Jim
No one in the UK has done a whiteblock 6 cylinder 240...yet.

The whiteblock m90 is the best at the job for the money. Why bother fabricating stuff and using old parts when you can buy the part you need? Manual m90s are not growing on trees but they aren't hard to find either. The problem is that people are just too tight to pay £600 for a car because they want the gearbox. The trick is to break the car for spares and get some cash back. Otherwise you could spend £500 on making a gearbox fit that won't work very well. Plus you're getting a good 90% of the parts for a whiteblock conversion all in one go rather than having to find them all seperately.

You only need cats on a 240 if it's a 93 but you could sneak it through. Cats are not needed if putting a newer engine into a cat exempt car.

Why get a tin sump made for a 5 pot? You use the 960 sump and have a cylinder worth cut out of it professionally.

Manual 240s usually have a 3.54 diff. Autos have a 3.73.

Redblock turbo is a piece of ****, especially if you car is a LH car originally. All that's really needed is to fit the right ecu and ezk box, use some t5 blue injectors, upgrade the fuel pump and get a custom downpipe made to clear the steering rack. Loads of 240 turbos in the UK now, it's a popular conversion.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 13:45   #6
liamcafs

I very much appreciate your replies gents. I have seen your excellent guide Antz. Much to consider. I will keep an eye out for a 960 Manual. Its just that I absolutely loathe the auto in my car and want rid asap I'd even consider swapping to an M47 in the short term.
'99 V70 AWD 155k miles SOLD
Link to my 240 Engine Swap Build Thread
liamcafs is offline   Reply With Quote