Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo v50 powershift to manual convertion

Views : 1991

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 6th, 2017, 19:42   #1
Vxrd1

Cool Volvo v50 powershift to manual convertion

Hi guys, new to this forum. I'm looking for some help with a few issues. I have a v50 2.0d which was originally a powershift. I've recently converted it to manual as the powershift box went on it. I bought a donor s40 to do the conversion.

I'm having a few issues now. The worse one is the car won't idle. Just stalls. If you hold the revs around 1200 the revs hunt and drop below 1000. The car drives mint apart from that.

Second one is the car no longer locks with original key fob.
I have alarm system service required on dash display. Also park assist sercive required.

And lastly the radio doesn't work. I have tried s40 radio in case it was coded to ecu but still no joy.

Any help appreciated. It's been one hell of a job to convert.
Vxrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 10:39   #2
Bungo
Premier Member

I suspect that the ecu will have been set up to idle for the auto. Only a main dealer would be able to reprogram it for a manual.
With regard to the others. It's highly likely something has been disturbed/damaged during the conversion. You would need to get the codes red for a starting point.
Old Nov 7th, 2017, 17:52   #3
Vxrd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo View Post
I suspect that the ecu will have been set up to idle for the auto. Only a main dealer would be able to reprogram it for a manual.
With regard to the others. It's highly likely something has been disturbed/damaged during the conversion. You would need to get the codes red for a starting point.
I should of mentioned that everything was changed. Ecu, cem, key, abs pump, bcs under drivers seat, engine bay wiring, engine and box.

I have a code for drivers door module internal fault. Is there anything in drivers door that may be coded to ecu for central locking?

No codes stored for radio. I believe there's no code for the radio just coded to ecu.

Also data logged car today and nothing suspicious with readings. I.e fuel pressure, maf sensor or intake temps.
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 01:17   #4
Bungo
Premier Member

Bit more than a gearbox change!
Was the donor car was ticking over ok before the swap ?
What diagnostic kit has been used ? Only a Volvo specific one will give an in depth readings of what;s going on.
Locking/ alarm service. Sounds like receiver fault. possibly due to wiring loom change.
Don't know what Volvo audio is fitted but many will lose the internal code when completely disconnected from power.
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 06:48   #5
Vxrd1

Yeah as I needed to get rid of auto box wiring for control module on box. Everything was running fine in the donor car as I used it for a while to make sure everything was okay with it. Changed vacuum pipes to see if it had a vac leak.

It was a high tech snap on diagnostics used to scan the car

Where is the the receiver for the alarm do you know?

I can't see an option to put a code on but is very annoying having no radio haha.
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 06:52   #6
Vxrd1

Only codes engine related are glow plug relay faulty signal and fuel temp sensor signal too high if that helps at all.
Old Nov 8th, 2017, 23:36   #7
Bungo
Premier Member

I have a feeling receiver is behind dash or possibly in front interior light cluster.
Anyway, it wouldn't be a simple case just to replace it without Volvo software.
Radio code can be obtained from Volvo.
Not sure even snap on will be good enough. There are those on here with Dice/Vida that may be near to you.
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 06:34   #8
Vxrd1

I'll have a look into the alarm receiver see if I can locate it. The radio won't even give me an option to put a code in. I doubt there will be anyone near me that will have it. I'm in the north of Scotland.
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 19:35   #9
iainmd

The "radio" or Infotainment system doesn't use a code but is coded to the car. Your options are to either swap over the whole infotainment system from the donor car the ECU came from or you get MOST Security disabled if you can find a dealer willing to do so. A couple have been found but most would likely refuse to do it.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 10:18   #10
Vxrd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainmd View Post
The "radio" or Infotainment system doesn't use a code but is coded to the car. Your options are to either swap over the whole infotainment system from the donor car the ECU came from or you get MOST Security disabled if you can find a dealer willing to do so. A couple have been found but most would likely refuse to do it.
I have changed radio over from donor car, do I need to change floating center console too?