Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gearbox Fluid replacement.

Views : 1128

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 22:11   #11
stegreg
VOC Member

Default Auto box filter ?

Hi Guys, sorry to jump in on this thread, but its sort of related...
Does the Auto box in a '95 940 have a filter in the box sump pan? Was wondering if its worth changing if fitted.
I will take the advise on only changing so much fluid at a time, especially as mine has covered 206.000 miles now.....and not had an oil chnage as far as im aware [ooops].
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 17:43   #12
volvo always
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegreg View Post
Hi Guys, sorry to jump in on this thread, but its sort of related...
Does the Auto box in a '95 940 have a filter in the box sump pan? Was wondering if its worth changing if fitted.
I will take the advise on only changing so much fluid at a time, especially as mine has covered 206.000 miles now.....and not had an oil chnage as far as im aware [ooops].
From looking online I think they do have a filter and a sump gasket to replace if cleaning the filter.

I haven't bothered, and have had the first drain and refill. It used around 2.5 litres to fill just the sump. I'll have it done again in a few weeks, then again.

My car has done nearly 190,000 miles so worth doing as old fluid looks horrid.

Looks like also needs a nearside front wheel bearing as noise come back. Went away for a week.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 11:48   #13
haymitch

Laird Scooby, I have another question for you - sorry if it is a silly one!

When you refill the transmission fluid, presumably this is when the transmission is cold. If you notice the fluid is low after the test run then do you top up the fluid when it is hot or let it cool down again before topping up?

I'm planning on giving this is ago. I've been advised by garages to 'leave the transmission alone' when I suggested they flush the transmission, but the partial change method sounds like a better plan.
haymitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to haymitch For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 12:45   #14
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

By the time you've drained the old fluid out by whichever method and topped up with fresh fluid, the box will be much cooler and the fresh fluid will be cold (room/day temperature) so it's safe to assume it's cold so top up to the marks on the dipstick. I'd go for the lower of the two marks, take it for a test drive (3-5 miles) then check it again, topping up as necessary to the top mark or just below.

The silliest question is always the one nobody asks!

Joking aside, it may sometimes seem as if you're asking what others perceive as a silly question but in fact, the obvious answer isn't always correct. If nobody asks then nobody will know and sometimes that knowledge is only gained with experience.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2018, 14:44   #15
stegreg
VOC Member

HI guys, SORRY but job on box not yet done, er since last posting by myself the weather definitely took a turn for the worse and my workshop covered with either rain or snow for quite some time. YES still have the auto box filter and gasket to replace, will do once the weather improves.
stegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stegreg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 21:44   #16
manxdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo always View Post
From looking online I think they do have a filter and a sump gasket to replace if cleaning the filter.

I haven't bothered, and have had the first drain and refill. It used around 2.5 litres to fill just the sump. I'll have it done again in a few weeks, then again.

My car has done nearly 190,000 miles so worth doing as old fluid looks horrid.

Looks like also needs a nearside front wheel bearing as noise come back. Went away for a week.

James
If its done 190k, it will definatley need a filter, waste of time putting new oil through a crappy filter, you dont put new oil in your engine and leave an old filter on it.
I had a Jeep cherokee with an aisin warner box that had 97k on it, when it was towing hard it used to throw its atf out all over exhaust, dropped sump and filter, new oil. Truck was transformed, oil stayed where it should no matter how hot you got it and it changed sooo much better.
You will wonder why you didnt do it sooner....
manxdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manxdog For This Useful Post: