Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help! V50 2.0D, intermittent power loss - no fault codes

Views : 29771

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2009, 16:08   #11
Irish_Volvo

Hi colinmbrown

I have a Volvo S40 and i'm getting the similar problem.
I've got a code reader and it's giving error.
P1412 EGR Different.Pressure Sensor Signal too Low

I have posted it on a different thread.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...716#post586716

Dont know weather it's a pressure sensor issue or the EGR valve.
Irish_Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2010, 16:30   #12
Acilec

Hi Matrin! I have the same problem with my Volvo V50 2.0D 2007.
It all started with that the engine lost power and was not possible to drive at all on gear 3-5. Volvo could not find any fault at all, but after 5 weeks and me threatening with buyback they changed software and the car was alright again. I thought anyway...

One week later during acceleration when I tried to overtake the car in front of me, the engine suddenly lost power and I had to fall back behind the car I was trying to overtake. No warning light, no messages no nothing. The car looked fine and I tried accelerate again when it suddenly lost power once more. After a short while the problem suddenly was gone.

My car is currently at Volvo but they said when I left it that it was probably just a DPF regen sequence. So the car is fine!
But I also think this is a dangerous fault that could cause life threatening accidents.

I wonder what they will say when I pick it up. Probably that they found nothing.

Martin, is your car fine now or still has the same problem?

Last edited by Acilec; May 27th, 2010 at 16:34.
Acilec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 08:14   #13
gerontosaur

Hello. I've been trawling, but can't find any answers to this.
Happened to me y'day on the motorway between Rouen and Le Mans. 2005 V50, 2.0TDI.
Long downhill section, I disconnected the cruise control so as to run down it at zero mpg. As I came back on to the level I switched it back on again but the car refused to pick up. Going up an incline I watched as the speed dropped from 140 kph to 120kph and, overtaking a truck, I was aware that I was acting as a rolling roadblock! Dropping a gear or two meant that I could maintain speed at around 110/120 going uphill and she would hold 140 on the straight and level. I switched to the instant fuel consumption read-out and noticed that, foot to the floor in third, there ws no corresponding increase in consumption, the fuel just wasn't feeding the cylinders.
No error message, no overheating, no smoking, so I just carried on and decided to live with it until I got home (another 450kms). I assumed that the turbo had come disconnected somehow or that there was a problem with the fuel mapping. It was as if it had reprogrammed itself to imitate a 1990 1.6 Peugeot naturally-aspirated diesel.
Stopped in a service area for a wee after about 150kms of this. Came out, started up and she ran as good as gold all the way home.
Weird
Old Jun 27th, 2015, 21:13   #14
Hotshot

Default Power loss

Sounds like my v50 was having the same problem as most of you . Just had it at the local Volvo dealer , they put it on the software but nothing came up then did some more work and it was the DPF valve ! I am not a car nerd so means nothing to me but maybe ask your guys in the garage about it . Fingers crossed it's not done it again .?
Hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 15:57   #15
Omami

Default Intermittant power loss, no fault codes

Struggled with intermittant power loss and lack of acceleration in my V50 2005 diesel Volvo for more than a year. It had been regularly serviced and looked after.
Changed the EGR valve last year. Acceleration of car seemed better, but did not cure the problem.
Luckily the intermittant fault developed again while the car was being serviced. They managed to connect the diagnostic tester while it was running, and discovered that the Exchange DPF filter was clogged up and needed replacing.

We hope that this will have been the cause, and the problem is fixed.

Probably not many people are still driving an 11 year old car!
Omami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2017, 20:38   #16
Stephane

Default Intermittent Power

I have the same problem. One day the power died. Brought it to the dealer and they said I might need a new electronic controller! €900! They tightened connections and said to keep going for as long as possible, which I did. I had the problem intermittently since but have managed to scramble by through only using very light acceleration on gear changes - if I get a slump in power I can strangely get it back by going up the gears! It will almost take on a cruise control status! If I stop the car and come back to it I can find the problem has gone again. Clearly electronic, but judging by forums there is an inherent issue. I never had this problem with two previous Volvos the 2003 S40 and 2007 V50. This one is the 2011 V50
Stephane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 10:40   #17
dosi
DoSi

Default Power loss

I had problem with power loss whene I accelerate, in volvo v50, 2.0d, 100 kw, 2005 year. I send car in vovlo servis 2 time: 1 st time they change some vaccum pipe but nothing, i had the same problem and for the second time they change turbo valve and now it is ok.
dosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 12:27   #18
max65

hi dosi,
in your case the power loss was intermittent ?
max65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 22:54   #19
wilbydoughboy

Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06> / V70 '07> / XC70 '07> General
Reload this Page V70: Engine Slow to accelerate / lack of power

This maybe of some help. If you search the above section there are examples of the problem you seem to be experiencing.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 21:34   #20
JBetts

Default Loss of power every now and then

It looks like my issue is sorted now, loss of power once every couple of days, either not able to pull away at lights and engine will not rev at all (well, takes about 30 seconds to slowly rev up and then clears itself) really concerning, wife would not even drive the car anymore after a few scares.
Removed and cleaned the ERG and throttle body, but no difference
Noted air running inside clear fuel pipe between filter and pump (lift of engine cover to see on 2.0D) but only when revving up the engine, tried a few fixes including replace filter O ring, but still no good, bypassed filter with the push fit connectors and air was gone, so filter housing at fault, removed and inspected, found a 0.5 mm step in the housing from manufacture that could cause the O ring to snag and get an uneven friction when being clamped with lid, so filed down and sanded smooth + ensure O ring was removed and greased on all of surface area, refitted pumped out air with my Halford hand pump thingy then turned over and again pumped on the return pipe (that's for those that have not worked on diesels before) fired up and no air, that was 4 weeks ago now and the car is like a rocket, with not even a murmur, like a new car again and pleasure to drive, suspect this was an issue for at least a year and I just had not noticed it until it got very bad. hope this is of help to some body out there.
JBetts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fault code, intermittent, power loss, v50