Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MPG plummet - 2.4t 2001 v70 135K

Views : 591

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2019, 16:01   #1
benja

Default MPG plummet - 2.4t 2001 v70 135K

Hi,

mpg has always been around 28-31.

Recently needed new tyres on the front so I opted for winter tyres

now my mpg is at 26.5 and still dropping

Recently I had an issue where car was pulling to left, swapped tyres around and solved it, so I opted for winters on the front. there is possibility that the wishbones need replacing.

Any ideas? does cold weather have this much of an effect?
benja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 17:10   #2
Sojournermike

Winter always has an effect, but how much seems a bit car dependent. I’ve usually been a couple of mpg off summer during winter months over the years.
Sojournermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 17:25   #3
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I'm inclined to agree with 'Sojournermike', 'benja'. Has anything else changed apart from the tyres? Your normal MPG is similar to my own in a N/A auto car, which I believe is not untypical.

Short runs, ambient temperature, and many other factors can all have a bearing on fuel consumption. It might be stating the obvious, but if your MPG is continuing to fall, might you have a leak in the fuel system?

Regards. John.
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 20:33   #4
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Don't know.
Perhaps it's "posting a problem" website amplification effect but the Winter blends of fuel have come up a lot this year on all the boards I frequent.....or maybe your upstream oxygen sensor is gone?
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2019, 20:40   #5
apersson850
Premier Member

I've had the lambda sensor being faulty on my 854 Turbo once. The only thing I noticed was an increase in consumption from around 8 l/100 km to 17 l/100 km or so. About twice as much, but nothing else was obvious.
Error code "Fuel mix too rich" could be read.

But cold weather and no pre-heating of the engine does increase the consumption too. Not to double rate, though.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 13:56   #6
benja

Thankyou for replies.

only 2 error messages (bulb and alarm)

I'm pretty sure the tyres are the only thing that changed - my driving involves mostly short journeys but always has.

Quick note - i am going off trip comp only - i haven't yet done the pump calcs. but I'd say the rate the gauge is going down is in keeping with trip.

Would a leak in fuel system show on the trip comp? does it measure at fuel point of entry to engine or before?
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 11:55   #7
SandyVol

This sounds like my v70, mine pulled to the left too and I saw a slow reduction in mpg. Turned out my front calliper was sticking.

Give it a drive then check the heat radiating off each wheel/brake. Is one noticeably hotter?
SandyVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 07:34   #8
benja

Thanks for reply, brakes have been checked afaik. Will look again. A mechanic friend has suggested redex to clean the ejectors. So will do that and see if it changes anything.
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 11:34   #9
oragex
Premier Member

At least here in Canada we switch to 'winter gasoline' in the cold season, which is believed to drop the mpg. Winter tires also have more adherence so that affects mileage a little.

Careful driving with winters only on front wheels, not to get too confident and speed past the rear tires adherence. Ask me how I know - loosing the rear end on the motorway is not exactly cool. Braking in a curve or downhill also needs attention.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 07:50   #10
benja

Just to update this thread.

Car settled at 26.3-26.6 mpg according to computer.

I tried redex to clean injectors, no perceptible difference to mpg.

I haven’t tried anything else but am putting it down to tyres.

Just going to live with it!

Ben