Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyres constantly flat

Views : 1500

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2019, 21:48   #11
b1mcp

Agreed it has to be leaking somewhere.

I had this kind of issue last year with 2 wheels. I bought a small kids paddling pool for £3 from B&M Bargains and it worked a treat for finding leaks. Seal around valves in my case.

Don't expect to see a huge stream of bubbles.

If someone was letting the tyres down it's unlikely they would replace the valve caps so that should be a tell tale sign.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 07:06   #12
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shezza250 View Post

fully inflate to say 50 psi then diy checking for bubbles in the bath.
Over inflating can make a poor bead seal reseal, even when the pressure is returned to normal the seal frequently maintains as the the rubber has been forced into the oxide layer on the rim closing the path of the leak.
When tubeless tyres began to be fitted as replacements for tubed tyres in the late fifties, fitters commonly over inflated them initially to get a good seal.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 11:57   #13
XC70Bob
XC70 SE lux D5

When I went looking for a slow leak on one of my wheels, I used a 50/50 mix of water and washing up liquid, took the wheel off the car and laid it flat and just carefully filled the area between the rim and tyre then left if for about an hour.

The small bubbles formed over that time soon showed were the very very small leak was, local type place gave the alloy rim a good clean with a pad on an air tool and applied rubber sealant to the rim no more problem.
XC70Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC70Bob For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 12:44   #14
wilbydoughboy

With the pressure dropping so fast there would be plenty of bubbles showing when tested. I had leaks on my valves where they went through the wheels and although very slow there was plenty of bubbles. Someone is letting your tyres down.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 19:01   #15
patstan

Default deflating tyres

Thanks for all your replies,

As someone mentioned "someone could be letting the tyres down" this is a no no !
I live six miles from my nearest neighbour and passing walkers training for the Ten-Tors or Duke of Edinburgh awards would never do such a thing

After placing the wheels and tyres with another garage they found the rim had small perforations on the inner side of the wheels. The air coming from the holes had been blocked by dirt oil and road tar. The garage removed the tyres and placed the wheels in a solvent bath and scrubbed them clean both inner and otter surfaces.

On with the tyres again, and they found the holes after inflating them.
I have had the four wheels refurbed and no more deflated tyres in the morning!

£55 pounds per wheel. Job Done........

Thanks to all for your input.
patstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 19:49   #16
Theeggman

Did you use a wheel refurb place in Exeter? I had a cracked rim on my XC70 and they pointed me to a local operation who sorted the crack and it's now passed 2 MOTs.

2005 XC70 Auto. Now Sold.
Theeggman is offline   Reply With Quote