Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

My initial gripes

Views : 1094

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 16th, 2019, 13:07   #1
bmoster

Default My initial gripes

I have had my S90 for 4 weeks now - it is my first Volvo. I though I would share some of my intial thoughts re the car.

Sensus centre screen - looks impressive but tbh I think a landscape screen is better - even the built in sat nav does not fill the screen as it "fades out" to sky at the top. As a fan of Apple Car Play, this appears smaller than it would on a landscape screen but is still usable.

Virtual display - looks good but it really could have had more flexibilty. Just showing the audio details in the cenre is basic, there should be options for trip data or a real time fuel economy guage and various options to scroll through.

Should be able to access more phone functions from the steering wheel/virtual cockpit rather than just being able to access recent calls. I would rather access favourites or better still theere could have been a setting to show eitehr favourites/recents or full phonebook.

No dipping wing mirror without power/memory seats - poor and unneccessary.

Shopping bag hooks in the boot - spring loaded hooks from the top of the boot (ala Merc & Audi) are far more useful.

These are my only gripes, on the whole I love the car, is nice to drive and am happy with economy. Is very comfortable and a nice change after 2 A6s. Has more rear legroom than the A6 and lease deal was v good.
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 14:04   #2
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoster View Post
I have had my S90 for 4 weeks now - it is my first Volvo. I though I would share some of my intial thoughts re the car.

Sensus centre screen - looks impressive but tbh I think a landscape screen is better - even the built in sat nav does not fill the screen as it "fades out" to sky at the top. As a fan of Apple Car Play, this appears smaller than it would on a landscape screen but is still usable.

Virtual display - looks good but it really could have had more flexibilty. Just showing the audio details in the cenre is basic, there should be options for trip data or a real time fuel economy guage and various options to scroll through.

Should be able to access more phone functions from the steering wheel/virtual cockpit rather than just being able to access recent calls. I would rather access favourites or better still theere could have been a setting to show eitehr favourites/recents or full phonebook.

No dipping wing mirror without power/memory seats - poor and unneccessary.

Shopping bag hooks in the boot - spring loaded hooks from the top of the boot (ala Merc & Audi) are far more useful.

These are my only gripes, on the whole I love the car, is nice to drive and am happy with economy. Is very comfortable and a nice change after 2 A6s. Has more rear legroom than the A6 and lease deal was v good.
Agree with all your comments re. the Sensus screen and the centre display. On the centre display, I think its just a Volvo thing, they believe in keeping things simple and providing only the info 'they think' you need. If you like additional functionality, then Audi's Virtual Cockpit is a lot better.

And on the landscape/portrait point I've been thinking the same recently. Take the 360 camera for example, Audi and BMW are able to display the reversing camera along with a top view at the side using the landscape orientation. Portrait also makes CarPlay look like a poor add-on too.

Note that with reference to navigation, it only displays a lot of sky in 3D mode, you get a good size map filling the whole portrait screen in 2D.

:wq
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 15:09   #3
HamDenFede

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
Take the 360 camera for example, Audi and BMW are able to display the reversing camera along with a top view at the side using the landscape orientation.
:wq
I believe Volvo can do this too with a rather simple update to the software (don't think it will happen though). The screen estate is there, but it would ofc require the top view to be way smaller (less uesable) than today...which is in fact the case on the other brands. Maybe they should use the center of the driver display for the reverse cam and center for top view?

The best thing about the center screen IMO, is that they have managed to integrate it into the dash, and not make it look like a stick-on ipad...which is more or less the trend these days.
HamDenFede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 17:38   #4
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamDenFede View Post
The best thing about the center screen IMO, is that they have managed to integrate it into the dash, and not make it look like a stick-on ipad...which is more or less the trend these days.
I couldn't agree more.
Even the screens in other expensive cars like MBs for example look like cheap add-ons installed as an afterthought rather than an integrated component.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 19:01   #5
mr rusty

You can display real-time fuel consumption - just select the relevant tab using the RH page key and scroll down to select - you can display many different things. The average consumption can be displayed in the fourth down area of the centre display if you choose to.

Don't forget voice control - I use it for phone, navigation and temp control and it works pretty well.
mr rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 21:20   #6
Haldex
Premier Member

Quote:
I think a landscape screen is better - even the built in sat nav does not fill the screen as it "fades out" to sky at the top.
Try turning off the 3D view..

Quote:
IVirtual display - looks good but it really could have had more flexibilty.
Agreed. Such a high-res, large format screen used just to mimic the analogue cluster..

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2019, 23:51   #7
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
I couldn't agree more.
Even the screens in other expensive cars like MBs for example look like cheap add-ons installed as an afterthought rather than an integrated component.
Agreed again - cheap & nasty - a triumph of marketing hype and cost-saving over good taste
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 02:41   #8
encroute

I'd like to see the Sensus and dashboard screens to be far more customisable by the user.

Sensus: At least one row with Icons for multiple functions - or all rows as driver's choice.
Widgets to switch a function (of your choice) On/Off from the main screen , like 360 Camera, Reduced Guard etc.
Display is virtually 50% redundant when using Android Auto (and presumably Apple Car Play) - "Navigation via Android Auto", "Media via Android Auto" etc etc.)

Dash: Bigger Maps, smaller Dials, option to lose the Rev counter completely.
Also allow Volvo maps and Android Auto to work simultaneously (Allowing different traffic data) - Or allow Android Auto onto the dash display (Google maps/Waze)
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 08:34   #9
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encroute View Post
Sensus: At least one row with Icons for multiple functions...
That would indeed be nice, and enable on/off by voice.
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 12:33   #10
XC90Newbee

I really miss the Virtual Cockpit I had in the Q7, especially the bigger maps. More than a third of the space in the driver display is being wasted in the Volvo. The Virtual Cockpit in the Audi gave real time information of average consumption, speed, time, engine temperature etc which Volvo doesn't think is necessary. I added media info on the display but there is still a lot of empty space which just doesn't look good. It's an easy fix but I fail to understand why can't Volvo add it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encroute View Post
I'd like to see the Sensus and dashboard screens to be far more customisable by the user.

Sensus: At least one row with Icons for multiple functions - or all rows as driver's choice.
Widgets to switch a function (of your choice) On/Off from the main screen , like 360 Camera, Reduced Guard etc.
Display is virtually 50% redundant when using Android Auto (and presumably Apple Car Play) - "Navigation via Android Auto", "Media via Android Auto" etc etc.)

Dash: Bigger Maps, smaller Dials, option to lose the Rev counter completely.
Also allow Volvo maps and Android Auto to work simultaneously (Allowing different traffic data) - Or allow Android Auto onto the dash display (Google maps/Waze)
XC90Newbee is offline   Reply With Quote